speall

Can SCCM2012 report on updates installed by windows update?

Hi,

First post, relatively new to SCCM but I have a question. We upgrading our servers to 2012 r2 and 2016 but don't want to use SCCM to manage updates for them. They are currently set to download and install updates via Windows update but I am unsure whether this will mean that SCCM will be unable to report on the status of installed updates for those servers. Is it only able to identify the status of updates deployed by itself?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi Garth, thanks for responding. I believe we wanted the servers to pick up updates as soon as they released rather than having them on the same schedule as our clients, but if the reporting wont work we will have to look at another method presumably creating a different schedule for the servers through SCCM.

What we are trying to do is to simplify things down because currently we have separate deployments for each windows and server OS. If we switched down to having two groups for example (all servers and all clients) will this mean that windows 7 clients would receive updates that are aimed for windows 8 clients but fail to install?

Are superseded updates removed from the update packages automatically? 

The idea we are considering is having one deployment that contains all of the updates which is pushed out every day at a specified time to all devices, the idea being to minimize the chance that a client or server will miss a key update and be compromised.