anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1902 on Windows Server 2019 with SQL Server 2017 - Part 3

Introduction

This multi-part guide will show you how to install the latest baseline version of Configuration Manager from Microsoft. The latest available baseline version is System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1902 as of April the 10th 2019. SCCM 1902 is the latest baseline version and contains many bugfixes (and quality fixes) as detailed here. I blogged how to upgrade to 1902 here.

Baseline media is used to install new ConfigMgr sites or to upgrade from supported versions. For more information about what baseline versions are and why you need them, I'd recommend you read my blog post here. This guide is aimed a new installations of SCCM.

This lab is one of many hosted on my new hyper-v host, which is a very nice Lenovo P1 running Windows Server 2019 with data deduplication to make storage amazing.

This series is broken down into the following parts:-

You can use this multi-part guide to get a hierarchy up and running on Windows Server 2019 using SQL Server 2017. The concept behind this is to guide you through all the steps necessary to get a working Configuration Manager Primary site installed (for lab use) using manual methods or automated using PowerShell. This gives you the power to automate the bits that you want to automate, while allowing you to manually do other tasks when needed. You decide which path to take. PowerShell knowledge is desired and dare I say required if you are in any way serious about Configuration Manager. I will show you how to do most steps via two methods shown below, it's up to you to choose which method suits you best but I highly recommend automating everything that you can, using PowerShell.

• Method #1 - Do it manually
  • Method #2 - Automate it with PowerShell

Downloads

The scripts used in this part of the guide are available for download here. Unzip them to C:\Scripts. The scripts are placed in the corresponding folder (Part 1, Part 2 etc) and sorted into which server you should run the script on (DC01 or CM01).

Scripts.zip

Step 1. Install Roles and Features

Note: Perform the following on the Configuration Manager server (CM01) as a Local Administrator

To support various features in System Center Configuration Manager, the setup wizard requires some server roles and features preinstalled. On CM01, login as the username you added to the Local Administrators group and start Server Manager.

Method #1 - Do it manually

The role and feature requirements for ConfigMgr are listed here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/plan-design/configs/site-and-site-system-prerequisites. On CM01, login as a user with administrative permissions on the server. Start Server Manager.

Server Manager.png

Click on Add roles and features, on the Before you begin page click Next. Choose Role-based or feature-based installation

role based or feature based.PNG

In the Server Selection screen verify your ConfigMgr server is selected and click Next

cm01.PNG

On the Server Roles screen select Web Service (IIS)

web server iis.PNG

and when prompted to add features for Web Server (IIS) click on Add Features

add features that are required for.PNG

Click Next and on the Features screen select the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) feature

.net 2 and 3.PNG

Expand the .NET Framework 4.7 Features and select HTTP Activation under WCF Services, click on  Add Features when prompted.

http activation for WCF Services.PNG

Select Message Queuing (MSMQ) Activation and when prompted select Add Features, then select Named Pipe Activation and TCP Activation

message queing MSMQ.PNG

and under Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) select Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then select IIS Server Extension

IIS Server Extension.PNG

when prompted to add features click on Add Features

add features required for BITS.PNG

Scroll down and select Remote Differential Compression

Remote Differential Compression.PNG

Click Next and on the Web Server Role (IIS) screen click Next

web server iis role.PNG

on the Select Role Services verify that the following are selected

web server role selected.png

Click Next and point to the Installation Source by clicking on Specify an alternate source path

specify an alternate source path.PNG

Enter the path to the media eg: Z:\Sources\SxS

path.PNG

Click Install when ready, at this point you could export configuration settings for later automation

Feature installing.PNG

Click on Close when the feature installation has succeeded.

installation succeeded.PNG

Note: Make sure your Server 2019 media is in the drive specified in the script or edit the script to point to the new location of the media.

To install the roles and features needed, start Windows Powershell ISE as a user with administrative permissions on the server, edit the variables as appropriate and run the install roles and features.ps1 script. The script will automatically stop and prompt you to correct things, if it cannot find the XML file or the Windows Server 2019 installation media.

1. Extract the scripts to C:\Scripts on the ConfigMgr server, CM01 and load the install roles and features.ps1script located in C:\Scripts\Part 3\CM01

2. Edit the variables (lines 18-20) as desired before running.

3. Start Windows PowerShell ISE as Administrator and run the script by clicking on the green triangle.

Tip: If the script appears to hang at 24% while installing roles and features, and if you are sure you pointed to the media path correctly then simply reboot the server and try again, chances are a pending update or another operation is blocking the installation.

install iis role in Powershell.png

Step 2. Download and install Windows ADK and install WDS

Note: Perform the following on the Configuration Manager server (CM01) as a Local Administrator

When you deploy operating systems with Configuration Manager, the Windows ADK is an external dependency that is required. The ConfigMgr prerequisite checker will check for various things, including ADK components such as USMT and Windows Preinstallation Environment (among others), therefore you need to install Windows ADK on your server. System Center Configuration Manager version 1902 supports Windows ADK 1809 as I've explained here. Update. Windows ADK 1903 was released shortly after I wrote this blogpost but it has issues with Window SIM in ADK 1903 on 64bit Windows, the workaround is to use 32bit Windows (not going to happen) when generating them or use windows SIM from ADK 1809.

Note: Since SCCM 1806, Microsoft has provided their own PXE Provider which means you can host a PXE provider on a client operating system without the need for a Server operating system (as WDS requires Windows Server). However, for the purposes of this guide, you will use Windows Deployment Services.

• Method #1 - Do it manually

Go to this link and download Windows ADK 1809 or go to this link for ADK 1903 (see the note above). You'll be prompted to save or run ADKSETUP.EXE, select Run. Alternatively use ADK 1903 and see the Windows Sim comment above.

download the ADK.PNG

When prompted for the path, accept the defaults...(or change it to something else if you wish)

ADK location.PNG

Select your privacy settings

privacy settings.PNG

Accept the ADK EULA

License aggreement.PNG

Make sure to have selected at least the following ADK features, you will need to download the Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) separately as it's no longer included with ADK 1809 and later.

•     Deployment Tools
  •     User State Migration tool (USMT)

and optionally these

•   Imaging and Configuration Designer (ICD)
  •   Configuration Designer

ADK options.PNG

and click Install to start the download and Installation of the Windows ADK, version 1809.

installing ADK 1809.PNG

Once the ADK installation is complete, click Close.

ADK installed.PNG

To install the Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) click here, click on Run.

download winpe addon.png

click Next at the Specify Location screen.

specify location.png

click next at the Privacy settings

windows kits privacy.png

Click Next at the License agreement and click Install when prompted.

install adk winpe addon.png

Click Close when done (this will take a while to download...).

adk winpe addon done.png

To install Windows Deployment Services (WDS), open Server Manager, select Add roles and features and select the Windows Deployment Services role.

add wds role.png

When prompted click on Add Features to include management tools.

wds add features.png

and click through the wizard until completion, close the wizard when done.

wds manually installed.png

To download and then install Windows ADK 10 version 1809 with the components needed for ConfigMgr, start Windows Powershell ISE as Administrator and run the setup ADK and WDS.ps1 script. This script not only downloads and installs ADK 1809 and the Windows PE Addon but it installs the Windows Deployment Services role also.

Note: After I wrote this guide Microsoft released ADK 1903, but it has issues with Windows SIM on 64bit Windows. So this script still uses ADK 1809, if you want to use ADK 1903 modify the download URL accordingly.

Tip: If you've already downloaded ADK 1809 and the Windows PE Addon and want to save yourself some time, or if you are installing a server offline, copy the contents of a previously downloaded ADK1809+Windows PE Addon Windows Kits folder and all files/folders within to the source folder (eg: C:\Source\Windows Kits) and the script will skip the download.

1. Extract the scripts to C:\Scripts on CM01 and load the setup ADK and WDS.ps1 script located in C:\Scripts\Part 3\CM01

2. Edit the variable (line 17) as desired before running.

3. Start Windows PowerShell ISE as Administrator and run the script by clicking on the green triangle.

Installing ADK WinPe addon and WDS.png

Done !

And that's it for this part, please join me in Part 4 where you'll start configuring and installing SQL Server 2017.

hi Dave_23, thanks ! it works fine, you must be a logged on user of windows-noob.com to download the scripts, please try again.

On 4/15/2019 at 10:16 PM, anyweb said:

Step 1. Install Roles and Features

Hi Niall,

Thank you very much for the feedback and very sorry to take you away from your vacation and taking your precious time.

My Lab is new installed just missing the SCCM Server and i did the "Setting up PKI Guide" in a lab first that was why i mentioned PKI (Sorry didn't say it was HTTP) and will go on to do the HTTPS after, thank you for the guide.

The only issue is that i'm asking, is that in Step 1 Install Roles and Features, it says Install Web Service (IIS), does that mean i can have more than one IIS, if not can i use the one i have done during the "Setting up PKI Guide" and add the missing Features.

I also forgot to ask in the "Setting up PKI Guide"  your IIS server (http://pki.windows-noob.com)can be contacted from the Internet, how do you protect it from DOS attacks.

Thank you again for your precious time and guides as i'm new to this and have extra time to learn all this stuff.

Have a great evening Sir