Jump to content


anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1902 on Windows Server 2019 with SQL Server 2017 - Part 5

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Suganya said:

Hi, I have SCCM in one server and connect db in other server.. Whiling triggering sccm install script.. I am getting this error

image.png.a02477f564ceef8cc12f02e211738aab.png

hi then you are not following this guide.

The error message above clearly tells you what to do to solve the problem. Add the site server's machine account  to the local administrators group on the SQL server computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Suganya said:

I have good size in disk.. Any idea on below error please

image.png.f9f6259f32153d8d94b807f61224d25e.png

check the ConfigMgrPrereq.log file in the root of C:\ it will explain what your issue is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your response ... I just followed.. let me check service account or OU script one more time.. is that script will help right? or any other place have to check for the administrator related.. please guide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't guide you as you are not following my guides...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I am simply following and modifying specific to need.. let me double check the flow if any I missed. Always thanks for your prompt response and help..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using two server for sccm and db separately.. that's the reason I might be missing some of the components.. I am checking it .. Always need your guidance please.. I am checking the ConfigMgrPrereq log file here the sql server  computer pointing to the same server of sccm.. I want to change it to different server whre DB is running.. Please help  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question if we are already running Windows Updates for Business via GPO's do we need to install the WSUS? I see that it only throws a warning but unsure if it will mess up anything else if we don't install the WSUS role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) is needed for software updates synchronization and for the software updates applicability scan on clients. The WSUS server must be installed before you create the software update point role. The following versions of WSUS are supported for a software update point:

 

source > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/sum/plan-design/prerequisites-for-software-updates

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

I was wondering if it was possible in the config ini to only install the english language pack when installing sccm and skip the other languages?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm follow your instructions verbatim, but when running the ConfigMgrSetup, it bombs out. This is in the log:

INFO: Verifying hash for file 'C:\Source\SCCMPrereqs\msrdcoob_amd64.exe'  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><11-15-2019 11:09:15.943+300><thread=4688 (0x1250)>
WARNING: File hash mismatch for C:\Source\SCCMPrereqs\msrdcoob_amd64.exe  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><11-15-2019 11:09:16.075+300><thread=4688 (0x1250)>
INFO: Downloaded file 'C:\Source\SCCMPrereqs\msrdcoob_amd64.exe' is not valid  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><11-15-2019 11:09:16.095+300><thread=4688 (0x1250)>
ERROR: Failed to download required file  $$<Configuration Manager Setup><11-15-2019 11:09:16.116+300><thread=4688 (0x1250)>

Is there a way to get around it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it looks like it's failing on the SCCM pre req files, i'm guessing the files it's downloaded are 0 bytes in size, can you check ?

as it is the pre-reqs that are failing, can you delete them, and run the script again to download the pre-reqs, here it is..

 

<#
# Download SCCM prerequisite files, 2019/4/23 Niall Brady, https://www.windows-noob.com
#
# This script:            Downloads SCCM prerequisite files
# Before running:         Extract the SCCM Current Branch baseline version ISO to the $SCCMPath folder, eg: C:\Source\SCCM1902. Edit the variables as necessary (lines 17-19).
# Usage:                  Run this script on the ConfigMgr Primary Server as a user with local Administrative permissions on the server
#>
  If (-NOT ([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal] [Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()).IsInRole(`
        [Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] “Administrator”))

    {
        Write-Warning “You do not have Administrator rights to run this script!`nPlease re-run this script as an Administrator!”
        Break
    }

# below variables are customizable
$SourcePath = "C:\Source"
# where is the media ?
$SCCMPath = "C:\Source\SCCM1902"
$PrerequisitesPath = "$SourcePath" + "\SCCMPrereqs"
# please don't edit below this line
write-host "Starting SCCM prerequisites download script..."
write-host ""

# Check for SCCM source files
write-host "Checking for ConfigMgr media in $SCCMPath..." -nonewline
if (Test-Path "$SCCMPath\SMSSETUP"){
Write-Host "done!" -ForegroundColor Green
 } else {
write-host "Error" -ForegroundColor Red
write-host "Please extract the SCCM media to '$SCCMPath' and then try running this script again..."
break}

write-host "Checking for'$PrerequisitesPath' folder..." -nonewline

# Check for prerequisites download path folder, if not present create it
if (Test-Path "$PrerequisitesPath"){
 Write-Host "done!" -ForegroundColor Green
 #write-host "The folder '$PrerequisitesPath' already exists, therefore this script will not download the prerequisites."
 
 } else {
mkdir "$PrerequisitesPath" | out-null
Write-Host "done!" -ForegroundColor Green
# start the SCCM prerequisite downloader
write-host "Downloading SCCM version prerequisite files..." -nonewline
$filepath = "$SCCMPath\SMSSETUP\bin\X64\SETUPDL.exe"
# remove /NoUI if you want to see the download progress UI
$Parms = "/NoUI `"$PrerequisitesPath`""
$Prms = $Parms.Split(" ")

Try
{& "$filepath" $Prms | Out-Null}
catch
{Write-Host "error!" -ForegroundColor red
break}
Write-Host "done!" -ForegroundColor Green
}

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following the guide manually, I get the following errors on SCCM install:

1: The logon account for the SQL Server service cannot be a local user account, NT SERVICE\<sql service name> or LOCAL SERVICE.  You must configure the SQL Server service to use a valid domain account, NETWORK SERVICE, or LOCAL SYSTEM. (failed)

2: The site server might be unable to publish to Active Directory. The computer account for the site server must have Full Control permissions to the System Management container in its Active Directory domain. You can ignore this warning if you have manually verified these permissions. For more information about your options to configure required permissions, see  https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=233190. (warning)

3. Configuration Manager requires that you configure your SQL Server instance and Configuration Manager site database (if already present) to use the SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS collation, unless you are using a Chinese operating system and require GB18030 support.  For information about changing your SQL Server instance and database collations, see  https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=234541.  For information about enabling GB18030 support, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=234542. (failed) (This surprised me, as I did change to latin, as per the guide, tho' I didn't do anything about GB18030 support) (and the MS links supplied in the error text don't work!)

4. SQL Server is configured for unlimited memory usage. You should configure SQL Server memory to have a maximum limit. (warning) (Didn't see any steps to configure this in the manual process)

5. Configuration Manager requires SQL Server to reserve a minimum of 8 gigabytes (GB) of memory for the central administration site and primary site and a minimum of 4 gigabytes (GB) for the secondary site. This memory is reserved by using the Minimum server memory setting under Server Memory Options and is configured by using SQL Server Management Studio. For more information about how to set a fixed amount of memory, see  https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=233759. (warning)

6. Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is required for the management point and distribution point site system roles. BITS is not installed, IIS 6 WMI compatibility component for IIS7 is not installed on this computer or the remote IIS host, or Setup was unable to verify remote IIS settings because IIS common components were not installed on the site server computer. Also, check if IIS/BITS services are running properly. Setup cannot continue until BITS is installed and enabled in the IIS settings. (warning) (I haven't seen BITS mentioned in the guide yet??)

7. Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is required for the management point and distribution point site system roles. BITS is not installed, IIS 6 WMI compatibility component for IIS7 is not installed on this computer or the remote IIS host, or Setup was unable to verify remote IIS settings because IIS common components were not installed on the site server computer. Also, check if IIS/BITS services are running properly. Setup cannot continue until BITS is installed and enabled in the IIS settings. (warning)

Edited by 56Seeker
Forgot info on MS links

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Following the guide manually, I get the following errors on SCCM install: 

are you sure you followed my guide 100% or did you change anything ? if so what ?

please do tell us more about how you did this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, anyweb said:

Following the guide manually, I get the following errors on SCCM install: 

are you sure you followed my guide 100% or did you change anything ? if so what ?

please do tell us more about how you did this

Well to be honest, I'm a crap scripter and avoid it where possible, so I just followed the manual steps in the guide.
That's to say, I slavishly followed the manual steps and didn't change anything. As it's a lab, I even used the same variable values such as IP addressing and domain names.

Errors by number:

1 + 3) SQL login. Normally we'd used mixed mode, but the manual steps specified Windows log in. I used the "current user" button in SQL administrators set up as shown in the screen shot in part 4. I did set the database engine as "SQL latin..... as shown in part 4 (which puzzled me, it's not a setting we normally play with, all our prod. databases are running the default setting, which considering the vast majority of our servers are US english OS with DK input, could be anything....). Reviewing Part 4 again, I see no instructions regarding GB108030 support, what ever that is, so I'm googling that right now to see how to remedy.

2) Publishing. I think this is a spurious warning, as I did the schema extensions and permissions as stated.

4) SQL memory. Again, this isn't something we normally fiddle with, and reviewing the article again I can see memory limits are stated in the script, but not in the manual "how-to".

5) RAM. I'll take this as just a warning as it's a laptop lab, RAM and CPU resources are quite limited.

6) No idea. I've installed the features stated, in the order stated. To be fair I haven't checked the associated script to see if it's installing more than the manual "how to".

7) as 6!

Luckily I took plenty of snapshots along the way, so I can go back and try again.....  (and thanks the help, by the way....)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 56Seeker said:

Well to be honest, I'm a crap scripter and avoid it where possible, so I just followed the manual steps in the guide.
That's to say, I slavishly followed the manual steps and didn't change anything. As it's a lab, I even used the same variable values such as IP addressing and domain names.

Errors by number:

1 + 3) SQL login. Normally we'd used mixed mode, but the manual steps specified Windows log in. I used the "current user" button in SQL administrators set up as shown in the screen shot in part 4. I did set the database engine as "SQL latin..... as shown in part 4 (which puzzled me, it's not a setting we normally play with, all our prod. databases are running the default setting, which considering the vast majority of our servers are US english OS with DK input, could be anything....). Reviewing Part 4 again, I see no instructions regarding GB108030 support, what ever that is, so I'm googling that right now to see how to remedy.

2) Publishing. I think this is a spurious warning, as I did the schema extensions and permissions as stated.

4) SQL memory. Again, this isn't something we normally fiddle with, and reviewing the article again I can see memory limits are stated in the script, but not in the manual "how-to".

5) RAM. I'll take this as just a warning as it's a laptop lab, RAM and CPU resources are quite limited.

6) No idea. I've installed the features stated, in the order stated. To be fair I haven't checked the associated script to see if it's installing more than the manual "how to".

7) as 6!

Luckily I took plenty of snapshots along the way, so I can go back and try again.....  (and thanks the help, by the way....)

A small update: The SQL collation errors are mine! I picked the wrong collation, there's far too many Latin variants.... I don't see a way to correct this retrospectively (I've corrected the individual databases, but the install check still fails); so I guess I'm looking at a roll back....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think you need to look at the steps in the guide again as i just quickly looked at part 3, step 1, where i show you how to manually install roles and features,

IIS Server Extension.PNG

In this step you can see the BITS components that are required, did you miss it ?

I've updated the original post to make it clear that both Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and IIS Server Extension need to be selected

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

at first: Thanks for this awesome Guide.

I try to install SCCM on Windows Server 2019 Core.

Every step till "Install SCCM" are working.

After 2 hours of waiting, i stopped the script.

There is no error and no finish. It looks like it freeze or something.

Screenshot is attached. Thanks for your help.

 

sccminstall.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi @ChrisFromBavaria I have not tested this on Windows Server 2019 Core edition, only on the Desktop Experience edition.

you can only use the Distribution Point role on Server 2019 Core Edition, so this probably explains why it's just not working.

Server core installations

The server core installation of the following server OS versions are supported for use as a distribution point:

  • Windows Server 2019 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1810)
  • Windows Server, version 1809 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1810)
  • Windows Server, version 1803 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1802)
  • Windows Server, version 1709 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1710)
  • Windows Server 2016
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Windows Server 2012

This support has the following limitation:

  • Distribution points on this OS don't support PXE or multicast with the default Windows Deployment Services. Starting in version 1806, you can PXE-enable a distribution point on this OS with the option to Enable a PXE responder without Windows Deployment Service. For more information, see Install and configure distribution points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, anyweb said:

hi @ChrisFromBavaria I have not tested this on Windows Server 2019 Core edition, only on the Desktop Experience edition.

you can only use the Distribution Point role on Server 2019 Core Edition, so this probably explains why it's just not working.

Server core installations

The server core installation of the following server OS versions are supported for use as a distribution point:

  • Windows Server 2019 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1810)
  • Windows Server, version 1809 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1810)
  • Windows Server, version 1803 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1802)
  • Windows Server, version 1709 (starting in Configuration Manager, version 1710)
  • Windows Server 2016
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Windows Server 2012

This support has the following limitation:

  • Distribution points on this OS don't support PXE or multicast with the default Windows Deployment Services. Starting in version 1806, you can PXE-enable a distribution point on this OS with the option to Enable a PXE responder without Windows Deployment Service. For more information, see Install and configure distribution points.

thanks for your fast answer. i will try it with Desktop Version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello! thank you for the guides but i keep getting this error. I am able to extend schema extensions on the DC but do receive error on the CM server. I am aware that i dont need to run on CM server if its already ran on DC but not sure why the error pops up. 

 

As for the SQL service account, i already added a windows domain account and not sure either why its errors. 

 

image.png.dc52b988b61845da1c0ca28c59ecf386.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks !

warnings can be ignored but anything that is Failed can not. Can you share the logs generated on the root of C:\ on your ConfigMgr server please and i'll take a look (zip them up)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2020 at 12:53 AM, anyweb said:

thanks !

warnings can be ignored but anything that is Failed can not. Can you share the logs generated on the root of C:\ on your ConfigMgr server please and i'll take a look (zip them up)

 

actually everything is now working!  your guides worked perfectly, i just needed to back and understand and re-read the scripts! I am new to SQL so my understanding of media, service accounts etc was very very small. After using updated ssm18, new CU22 update, and making sure i am using the domain specified account mentioned my script.....Config Mgr passed with NO errors. 

Genuinely appreciate the time you dedicated into your guides, respect.

-

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, I'm glad to hear it ! now make sure you check out the rest of my guides 🙂 There is plenty to learn (such as PKI, Tenant Attach, Bitlocker Management and more)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...