Kevin79

Time to install program

Question

I am trying to test the distribution of program in SCCM. My test program is Adobe Reader. I've deployed the package and advertised it. If I run the report "All advertisements for a specific package" and drill down, I see that the computer accepted the program at 1:25:15 PM and was "waiting" at 1:25:16 PM. That was almost 55 minutes ago. The link between the server and client is 1 gig so the network shouldn't be a bottle neck. I would have thought that the deployment would be a lot faster than this. Should it take this long (and longer since it hasn't installed yet) to install programs? Is there any way to speed it up?

10 answers to this question

what advertisement settings did you select ?

Advertisement time is 8/10/2010 11:20 am

Assignment: As soon as possible

Enable wake on LAN: Not checked

Ignore maintenance windows when running program: Not checked

Allow system restart outside maintenance windows: Not checked

Priority: High

Program rerun behavior: Rerun if failed previous attempt

ok what do the logs on your client say ? (look at cas and ccmexec amongst others - see below)

The client logs are located in the %WINDIR%\System32\CCM\Logs folder or %WINDIR%\SysWOW64\CCM\Logs (for x64 OS).

Client Log Files

* CAS - Content Access Service. Maintains the local package cache.

* Ccmexec.log - Records activities of the client and the SMS Agent Host service.

* CertificateMaintenance.log - Maintains certificates for Active Directory directory service and management points.

* ClientIDManagerStartup.log - Creates and maintains the client GUID.

* ClientLocation.log - Site assignment tasks.

* ContentTransferManager.log - Schedules the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) or the Server Message Block (SMB) to download or to access SMS packages.

* DataTransferService.log - Records all BITS communication for policy or package access.

* Execmgr.log - Records advertisements that run.

* FileBITS.log - Records all SMB package access tasks.

* Fsinvprovider.log (renamed to FileSystemFile.log in all SMS 2003 Service Packs) - Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) provider for software inventory and file collection.

* InventoryAgent.log - Creates discovery data records (DDRs) and hardware and software inventory records.

* LocationServices.log - Finds management points and distribution points.

* Mifprovider.log - The WMI provider for .MIF files.

* Mtrmgr.log - Monitors all software metering processes.

* PolicyAgent.log - Requests policies by using the Data Transfer service.

* PolicyAgentProvider.log - Records policy changes.

* PolicyEvaluator.log - Records new policy settings.

* Remctrl.log - Logs when the remote control component (WUSER32) starts.

* Scheduler.log - Records schedule tasks for all client operations.

* Smscliui.log - Records usage of the Systems Management tool in Control Panel.

* StatusAgent.log - Logs status messages that are created by the client components.

* SWMTRReportGen.log - Generates a usage data report that is collected by the metering agent. (This data is logged in Mtrmgr.log.)

The logs don't really say anything, at least nothing that means anything to me. The one thing I did find interesting was in execmgr.log.

<![LOG[Execution Request for package COR00005 program SAP GUI 7.10 state change from WaitingDependency to WaitingContent]LOG]!><time="11:30:45.730+240" date="08-23-2010" component="execmgr" context="" type="1" thread="1960" file="executionrequest.cpp:488">

This was 33 minutes ago...

The logs don't really say anything, at least nothing that means anything to me. The one thing I did find interesting was in execmgr.log.

<![LOG[Execution Request for package COR00005 program SAP GUI 7.10 state change from WaitingDependency to WaitingContent]LOG]!><time="11:30:45.730+240" date="08-23-2010" component="execmgr" context="" type="1" thread="1960" file="executionrequest.cpp:488">

This was 33 minutes ago...

okay ,check the DataTransferService.log and CAS.log what does it says ? how did you setup the content is it to download from DP or Run from DP?

Erm ..... what settings do you have under

sccm.jpg

"Apply to branch distribution points only" is selected.

"Throttling window start time:" is 7 AM

"Throttling window end time:" is 6 PM

"Maximum transfer rate during throttling window (Kbps):" is 20

"Allow BITS downloads outside of throttling windows" is checked.

"Maximum transfer rate outside of throttling window (Kbps):" is 9999