Toby

Install ADDS via SCCM Task Sequence

Question

Hi All.

First post here, but Id like to say I have found the configuration guides invaluable, many thanks for this great resource.

Im having an issue installing ADDS via a task sequence. Im not that familiar with MDT, but I know that if you have it installed it gives you additional task sequence options, one of which is 'configure ADDS', which give you all the options for building a new DC.

However, when the task sequence is run, it errors with the below message:

---

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Configure ADDS) in the group (Setup Operating System) with the error code 1

Action output: =======================[ smsswd.exe ] =======================

PackageID = ''

BaseVar = '', ContinueOnError=''

SwdAction = '0001'

Command line for extension .exe is "%1" %*

Set command line: Run command line

Working dir 'not set'

Executing commandline: Run command line

Process completed with exit code 1

Microsoft ® Windows Script Host Version 5.8

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Input Error: Can not find script file "x:\sms\bin\i386\%DeployRoot%\Scripts\ZTIConfigureADDS.wsf".

Command line returned 1. The operating system reported error 1: Incorrect function.

-----

I have quite alot of experience with the WAIK, so I cracked open the boot.wim with imagex and created the directory specified in the error, and added the ZTIConfigureADDS.wsf script from mdt\DeploymentShare\Scripts, but its still showing the same error, so there must be more going on.

Can anybody point me to any guides to configuring windows server roles via task sequences?

If I can avoid using the MDT deployment workbench I would be quite happy, as I already have a custom deployment share for SCCM, and mdt wants its own custom share to work in, which I really dont have the space to allocate, and working with multiple deployment shares will become confusing. However if its the only way to do it, then Ill give it a try.

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Thanks, no there is no reboot, just an error during the TS.

Im sorry I dont know what the run Package for MDT is? Im only beginning to look at this, and all I have done is add the ad role and configure adds as shown in image.

thanks.

post-8076-1292573206849_thumb.png

Hi All.

First post here, but Id like to say I have found the configuration guides invaluable, many thanks for this great resource.

Can anybody point me to any guides to configuring windows server roles via task sequences?

Thanks.

here you go

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/543-how-can-i-deploy-windows-server-2008-using-sccm-2007-sp1/page__view__findpost__p__3774

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, this process has worked.

The issue was I was trying to create a TS from scratch and adding MDT tasks, when I should have been building an MDT task sequence.

Weird problem though, after completing the process, I only get to log on as a local admin, and the machine is shown as attached to a work group.

AD is installed, but I cannot run it, it tells me to log onto the domain, yet I have no option for this from the logon prompt.

I was attempting to create a new DC in a new domain, yet within the task sequence i dont see a method for configuring the Domain admin password.

Is this possible?

thanks

ed/ just having a look at smsts - looks like dc promo failed, error 44. probably a problem with my ts.

ed2/ Yeah, was my ts. All working now, thanks guys!