Guest HSK

How to customize installation in SCCM

Question

Hello All,

In SCCM 2007 SP1 is there any option to customize the installation?

by default the softwares are installed on C:\Program Files\..... if i want to change this directory how can i do it ?

If certain application after installation creates 2 shortcuts on the desktop, i want to keep only 1 shortcut out of them is there a way to delete one(by customizing the installation)?

please help.

Regards

HSK

5 answers to this question

only way to do it is to reinstall and decide the path here

what applications are leaving 2 icons ? is it Windows Media Player ?

================================================================================

===================

Hi !

Thanks for the reply, however my question was little different.

1] SCCM is installed fine but now when i want to install other softwares in client systems at that time if we as System Administrator choose to install these softwares in C\Programs\... folder then how to do that ?

In SCCM during (a) Package creation (B) Program Creation © Advertisement and then (d) DIstribution nowhere i could see any such option.

2] Adobe Reader 9.0 is creating two icons on the desktop after installation.

please suggest.

Regards

HSK

1. to decide where the programs go you'll have to modify the program installer directly, usually you'll need to supply some switches to the installer to tell it to install the program somewhere else, checkout this Adobe Reader silent install howto

2. as above read that link as he has some script (install.bat) for deleting the icons that adobe reader places in the AllUsers profile...

cheers

anyweb

You could change the default installation dir on your computer with a simple reg tweak.

This will however effect all program that is being installed on this computer.

To do this:

1. open regedit

2. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

3. change "ProgramFilesDir" to whatever suites you.

post-2500-1234195295_thumb.jpg

This could allso be done with a script which you could distrubute in your enviroment. Tell me if you need such a script and I will show you.