bsmiller

Windows PE cannot start

Question

I have followed your instructions for configuring SCCM2007 and deploying Vista to a tee but have gotten stuck right after the PXE boot with the following error:

Windows PE cannot start because the actual SYSTEMROOT directory (X:\WINDOWS) is different from the configured one (X:\$Windows.~BT\Windows). This can be configured with the peimg /targetpath command. Please consult the documentation for more details.

Press the OK button or close this message to reboot.

So, I did what it has asked me to do, but I am not 100% sure which PE I should modify.

This is a 100% new installation of SCCM 2007 (no upgrade from SMS)

I appreciate any help and have nothing but good things to say about all of the great stuff on this forum.

added info:

the boot.wim I got is from the Server 2008 DVD (sources\boot.wim)

hi and welcome

i'm guessing that you are testing this in a vmware virtual environment, is that correct ?

what Windows Server 2008 DVD did you copy the boot.wim file from ? and was it a real DVD or an ISO, if it was an ISO how did you mount the ISO

cheers

anyweb

hi and welcome

i'm guessing that you are testing this in a vmware virtual environment, is that correct ?

what Windows Server 2008 DVD did you copy the boot.wim file from ? and was it a real DVD or an ISO, if it was an ISO how did you mount the ISO

cheers

anyweb

No, I am not testing in VM environment.

The DVD I am using is the real deal

what hardware are you trying to deploy this on ? and to be clear are you saying you dont see Windows PE starting at all so no chance to get any Windows PE logs ??

what hardware are you trying to deploy this on ?

Well I am trying to capture the Image first - Dell Optiplex GX620 is my test machine

and to be clear are you saying you dont see Windows PE starting at all so no chance to get any Windows PE logs ??

Well, I get the PXE Screen and then it kicks into the Windows is loading files...... screen.

Then the error message appears that I wrote in the original post.

I did enable the PE command line support, but I cant get to it before I get the error.

try disabling SATA mode operation in the BIOS of the dell,

and reboot, does anything change ?

SATA mode options are "Normal" or "Combination". Tried Both with same results.

I started over and made sure I got the boot.wim file from the Server 2008 DVD (In the begining I used the Vista DVD, and others before I tried the Server 2008).

Now I get as far as the PXE prompt that shows the MAC and GUID, but get the "No Boot Filename Received" message and it stops.

I have cleared the last PXE advertisement.

The Component Status for SMS_PXE_SERVICE_POINT looks ok to me - just says the service started (no errors). Is there a better log file that would show more information?