anyweb

Configuring Software Update Point within SCCM

Hmmmm....right at the start you say "Install WSUS but do not configure it. "

We already have WSUS here for years. Now with SCCM installed how do we configure it?

Same way as this guide?

I tried, but SCCM does not initiate a download on WSUS. I dont know how to fix it.

I found this in the SCCM documentation:

Using an Existing WSUS Server for a Software Update Point

You can use a WSUS server that was active in your environment before installing Configuration Manager 2007, but client computers connecting to the WSUS server will scan for all software updates in the WSUS database. This might result in client computers returning compliance state information for software updates outside of the configured classifications, categories, and languages. Before using an existing WSUS server as an active software update point site system, it is recommended that the software updates metadata is deleted from the WSUS database if possible. The WSUS server will be synchronized with new software updates metadata based on the settings configured for the active software update point.

Hmmmm....right at the start you say "Install WSUS but do not configure it. "

We already have WSUS here for years. Now with SCCM installed how do we configure it?

Same way as this guide?

I tried, but SCCM does not initiate a download on WSUS. I dont know how to fix it.

I found this in the SCCM documentation:

Using an Existing WSUS Server for a Software Update Point

You can use a WSUS server that was active in your environment before installing Configuration Manager 2007, but client computers connecting to the WSUS server will scan for all software updates in the WSUS database. This might result in client computers returning compliance state information for software updates outside of the configured classifications, categories, and languages. Before using an existing WSUS server as an active software update point site system, it is recommended that the software updates metadata is deleted from the WSUS database if possible. The WSUS server will be synchronized with new software updates metadata based on the settings configured for the active software update point.

How do you delete those "software updates metadata" because we had also a working WSUS and coupled our SCCM to it and I never deleted anything but I can see that I don't have all machines in my compliance sheets. I can see there is something that doesn't give the right information. :huh:

hi kingskawn sorry i just posted that screenshot for another post on technet, it wasnt directed at you.

are you software updates working ok or not ?

Hi 'Anyweb.' Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time and effort to put together this article, found it very helpful having just deployed my first SCCM2007 setup. Kepp up the good work! :)

Hi 'Anyweb.' Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time and effort to put together this article, found it very helpful having just deployed my first SCCM2007 setup. Kepp up the good work! :)

thanks !

Good to see the guide is still functional even after all the R2 versions (2008 and SCCM) and SP2 release.

Just one quick question about setting up software updates...

post-1-1229465987.jpg

This says I have to redownload the updates from the internet when creating the update deployment, wouldn't it be wiser to just use the files downloaded by the initial synchronization of the server?

When you want RDP 6.0 to be installed on all clients you just have to pick it out of the updates, choose 'Deploy Software Updates' and it will be added into 'Deployment Management' where you can set on what collection it must be distributed.

Am I right? :huh:

There mustn't necessary be a 'Deployment Package' to deploy an update, isn't it? :blink:

A Software Update always has to be in an Update Package

But if I look in all my updates, I choose 1 update and do 'Deploy Software Updates', it will create a new install for me where I also choose the template and then I've a new line in 'Deployment Management' but nothing in 'Deployment Packages'

How come?

You don't have to create a new Update Package everytime. With Deployment Packages it lists all your Update Packages, so if you selected an excisting Update Package then you won't see a new line with Deployment Packages.

Create a search folder with the following Criteria

Bulletin ID = MS10

Expired = No

Superseded = No

Place a checkmark in Search all folders under this feature=yes...

That will show all Security Updates for Microsoft Products in 2010 from the products you selected in the softwaer update point Component Properties product menu.

To narrow it down, add Product to your search folder criteria

@anyweb

isnt there a way to fasten the deployment for the software updates , im waiting since 2 hours and its still showing me the

![LOG[Added Update Source ({5F657886-4804-49DC-8736-D99BC2BE5F0D}) of content type: 2]LOG]!><time="13:00:40.949+-60" date="11-30-2008" component="WUAHandler" context="" type="1" thread="2184" file="sourcemanager.cpp:1372">

<![LOG[Async searching of updates using WUAgent started.]LOG]!><time="13:00:40.980+-60" date="11-30-2008" component="WUAHandler" context="" type="1" thread="2184" file="cwuahandler.cpp:587">

<![LOG[Async searching completed.]LOG]!><time="13:00:55.280+-60" date="11-30-2008" component="WUAHandler" context="" type="1" thread="2296" file="cwuahandler.cpp:2099">

<![LOG[successfully completed scan.]LOG]!><time="13:00:55.435+-60" date="11-30-2008" component="WUAHandler" context="" type="1" thread="2976" file="cwuahandler.cpp:3261">

PS : forget about the timing here as i pulled it from your attached file hehe , the point is its stuck on successfully completed scan

any issues ?

thanks

Hi,

I tried to select "Windows server 2008" product like you but i can not found it. I see i need to synchonise first but, when when I click on "Update Repository", i haven't got "Run Synchronisation". Can you help please.

Thank for all.

did you configure the software update component yet ?

onfigure sup.jpg

Thanks for a great post. Just a couple of questions regarding updates via SCCM. Firstly I have a test PC which I am testing updates via SCCM. I have denied the Windows updates settings GPO to this PC and now the Sofware Updates client is showing new updates on the client PC. However automatic updates are still prompting to be configured in the system tray. I would have thought the Software update agent would have disabled this prompt. The software update settings have an install schedule configured. I am confused as to how this should work. I have checked all the logs and the PC is looking at the SCCM server for updates so everything seems to be configured correctly. Any ideas?

I also got a little confused with the section about downloading updates. How does this work? The WSUS server pulls down the updates to a folder that you configured when setting up the Software update point in a previous guide on Windows-Noob. In this guide you are pulling the updates to a folder call windows updates. Does this mean the updates are stored in multiple locations? Eventually will all updates get downloaded to this Windows Updates folder everytime I set up a new search folder and deployment package?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Lozloz

regarding your first point see this post > http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/788-updates-are-not-being-installed-automatically/

the windows updates folder will contain the updates, you can have sub-folders in there for the deployment packages eg:

xp updates

7 updates

server 2008 updates

and so on

Good to see the guide is still functional even after all the R2 versions (2008 and SCCM) and SP2 release.

Just one quick question about setting up software updates...

post-1-1229465987.jpg

This says I have to redownload the updates from the internet when creating the update deployment, wouldn't it be wiser to just use the files downloaded by the initial synchronization of the server?

I can't find a clear answer to this question anywhere and I think variations of this question were asked in this thread at least 3 times.

you need to understand that the initial sync (and all subsequent syncs) only downloads the METADATA of the updates, ie: the information pertaining to what the update is, where it is, what os it's for, etc.

therefore we need to download the updates into a deployment package to actually use them, also understand that if you have downloaded the updates already that they will not be re-downloaded unless they have changed,

does this answer your question ? if not, please tell me what is unclear

you need to understand that the initial sync (and all subsequent syncs) only downloads the METADATA of the updates, ie: the information pertaining to what the update is, where it is, what os it's for, etc.

therefore we need to download the updates into a deployment package to actually use them, also understand that if you have downloaded the updates already that they will not be re-downloaded unless they have changed,

does this answer your question ? if not, please tell me what is unclear

Why the WSUS direcory is about 10 GB on my SCCM/WSUS server? I'm not reffering to the share created for for deployment package. The WSUS role has been installed using your guide. When installing I pointed to the "D" drive so the folder that is about 10GB large is this one: "D:\WSUS\WsusContent" isn't suppose to be only metadata? It's really confusing. It looks like the updates are downloaded twice. It's similar with the software distribution role as well, at one point it asks for the source files when creating the program, but it copies the sourcefile to the D:\SMSPKGD$ folder. Basically I'm confused as to where shiould I put the sources and how it works..

Thanks for everything.

You probably selected Store updates locally during the installation of WSUS. This means that you are storing the updates on three different places, the WSUS folder, the Updates package and on the DP.

You probably selected Store updates locally during the installation of WSUS. This means that you are storing the updates on three different places, the WSUS folder, the Updates package and on the DP.

That's terrific! How am I suppose to fix this? I only have 1 SCCM server that has all the roles installed on it, since I'm managing 500 computers or so, it's plenty enough + it's a VM so I can scale the hardware easily if needed. I love redundance, but having the updates at 3 places it's quite useless. Any help in setting this up properly would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Hi,

I tried to do like you but it's doesn't work. On a client, in Configuration Manager Property(control panel), in Action, I haven't got (so i can't initiate the action i want)Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle, Software Updates Deployment Evaluation Cycle , Software Updates Scan Cycle.

post-5534-12706491215955_thumb.jpg