Config Mangler

Windows 8 ignores reg key to set AES-256 encryption in SCCM2012sp1

We have a requirement to set AES-256 cipher strength for Windows 8.

In my Windows 7 TS I use this command to set it to 256-bit before the Enable BitLocker step:

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\FVE /v EncryptionMethod /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

This works fine in Windows 7, but Windows 8 ignores the same command and defaults to 128-bit

If I decrypt the drive, set the reg key and manually run BitLocker it encrypts as 256-bit.

So the key does work, but not inside the task sequence. I may have to log this with Microsoft but any ideas before I do?

The Diffuser option is no longer available to be added to the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption algorithm for Windows 8 so are you trying to select the diffuser option ? the command you've posted above should work ok, have you verified that the reg key exists after deployment ?

what does manage-bde -status say ? (in an administrative command prompt)

have you checked that you dont have some gpo overriding the step ?

"manage-bde" says it's AES-128.

My understanding is that group policy is locked out during deployment, hence why we need to use the reg key change the encryption level to AES-256.

So after the TS I am left with an AES-128 encrypted drive, if I decrypt and re-encrypt, without changing anything it sees the registry key and does 256-bit.