anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8.1 using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager

Introduction

AT the build conference in San Francisco yesterday Microsoft unveiled a preview version of Windows called Windows 8.1, and in conjunction with the recent release of System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager preview, we have the ability to deploy this new OS to see what's changed both in Configuration Manager and in Windows 8.1. A lot has changed with the introduction of System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager including a whole bunch of Operating System Deployment changes listed here and that includes support for Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1.

In this guide we will use System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager to Deploy Windows 8.1 Preview. If you have not yet installed R2 then follow this guide.

Note: Prior to installing R2 I have installed both CU1 and CU2 for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1, as they contain several fixes (PowerShell amongst others).

I'll use PowerShell wherever possible in this guide and i'd suggest you begin to do so to (if you haven't already), if you missed my introduction to PowerShell in Configuration Manager then please see this post.

Step 1. Get the Windows 8.1 Preview ISO and extract it

Download the preview version of Windows 8.1 from MSDN.com or from this link, extract the ISO and copy extracted files and folders to your sources share on your Configuration Manager server. I copied it to \\sccm\sources\os\os_media\windows 8.1 preview X86

media extracted to sources folder.png

Step 2. Add the Windows 8.1 Install.WIM file

We need to add our operating system image file to Configuration Manager, to do so we can use two methods, either in the console using manual steps or in using powershell.

Method #1 - Do it in the console

In the Operating System Deployment section of the Software Library workspace, select Operating System Images and right click, choose Add Operating System Image

Add Operating System Image.png

Point the wizard to the Install.WIM file in the sources folder of your extracted media files, eg: \\sccm\sources\os\os_media\windows 8.1 preview X86\sources\install.wim

data source.png

On the General screen, fill in information about the Windows 8.1 Preview image you are adding and edit the version or description info so that it clearly points out that this is the Install.WIM file that you are using (to make it clear later when adding Windows 8.1 Preview images to any Deploy Windows 8.1 task sequences).

General info.png

continue with the wizard through to completion.

completion.png

Method #2 - Do it using PowerShell

In a powershell console use the following (point it to your path)

New-CMoperatingSystemImage -Name "Windows 8.1 Preview" -path "\\sccm\sources\os\OS_Media\Windows 8.1 Preview  X86\sources\install.wim" -Version "X86 (Install.WIM)" -Description "This is the Install.wim file from the Windows 8.1 Preview sources folder. (c) windows-noob.com June 2013"

Step 3. Distribute content to our Distribution points

Now that we've added the image to Configuration Manager we need to distribute it to our distribution points otherwise our client computers cannot download it.

Right click on the image and choose Distribute Content

Distribute Content.png

click next at the Review Selected Content screen, click on Add to add your distribution points, select the distribution points from the list available

add distribution points.png

and continue through the wizard until completion.

distribute content wizard completion.png

In a powershell console use the following (point it to your distribution point)

Start-CMContentDistribution –OperatingSystemImageName "Windows 8.1 Preview" –DistributionPointName "sccm.server2008r2.lab.local"

and review the distribution of the image via distmgr.log

review the package distribution status via distmgr log file.png

or via PowerShell by specifying the package ID of the Operating System Image.

Get-WmiObject –NameSpace Root\SMS\Site_P01 –Class SMS_PackageStatusRootSummarizer –Filter "PackageID='P0100067'"

review distribution status via powershell.png

Step 3. Create a Deploy Windows 8.1 task sequence

In the console right click on Task Sequences, choose Create Task sequence

Create Task Sequence.png

choose Install an existing package, (side note there is a new option since the introduction of R2, and that new option is called Install an Existing image package to a virtual hard drive, this setting is for Virtual Machine Manager use).

Install an existing image.png

fill in the task sequence information and select the X86 boot image (note that the version of the boot image is 6.3.9431.0)

Task Sequence Information.png

Select the newly added Windows 8.1 Preview image, it has two indexes Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8, enter your local administrator password, decide if you want to use BitLocker disc encryption or not, enter the Product key (otherwise you'll get prompted later on) and click next when done

Install windows.png

Note: in the screenshot above the product key is blank for security purposes, make sure to fill yours in if you do NOT want to be prompted during the task sequence deployment.

for configure network settings, enter a domain join account, and verify that it works before continuing

dom join verified.png

click next through the wizard until completion.

task sequence created.png

Step 4. Edit the task sequence

Right click on our newly created task sequence and choose Edit.

Locate the built in Enable BitLocker step and add the following wmi query for root\cimv2 so that it won't run on Virtual Machines otherwise the task sequence will bomb out on hyperV virtual machines...

select * from Win32_ComputerSystem where Model <> "Virtual Machine"

Enable BitLocker step.png

click Apply to save the changes and then click Ok.

Step 5. Deploy the task sequence

Right click on the task sequence and choose Deploy

Deploy Task Sequence.png

and choose a collection, in my example i'll use the All Unknown Computers collection

all unknown computers.png

set the deployment purpose as Available (optional) and make if available to Configuration Manager Clients, Media and PXE.

make available.png

click next through the wizard until completion

deploy task sequence wizard complete.png

Use the following, replace the package ID listed below with the package ID of your Deploy Windows 8.1 Preview task sequence.

Start-CMTaskSequenceDeployment –TaskSequencePackageId "P0100068" –CollectionName "All Unknown Computers" –Comment "© windows-noob.com June 2013" –Deploypurpose "Available" –MakeAvailableTo "ClientsMediaAndPXE"

Step 6. PXE boot and a new (unknown) computer

PXE boot a computer (I use hyperV virtual machines with legacy nics added as the first boot device), press F12 when prompted to start the network boot process

PXE boot.png

the boot wim file will be downloaded, note that this is a new version since you already updated Windows ADK to 8.1 to support deploying Windows 8.1

boot wim loading.png

and you can clearly see that the version of WinPE has changed, with the new Fish logo, cute

Windows 8.1 fish.png

select our Deploy Windows 8.1 Preview task sequence

select our task sequence.png

and off it goes...

running the task sequence.png

the Windows 8.1 wim file get's downloaded and applied, and the computer reboots to start windows setup, we get to see the fish again (do you remember where we saw him before, it was in Windows 8 Consumer Preview here)

fishy.png

before a few more reboots to get windows ready for the next stage, installing the Configuration Manager client,

installing configuration manager client.png

before being presented with the new login screen for Windows 8.1

login screen for windows 8.1.png

so login with your testuser credentials to see the new start screen

start screen.png

and the new desktop

desktop.png

cool ! job done.

Summary

In this guide (there is an index here) you've learned how to Deploy Windows 8.1 Preview with System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager, you've learned the steps required to successfully deploy that image and finally you've done most of the work using PowerShell Cmdlets (where available). Congratulations !

• Like 1

Thanks for the guide. I have completed everything with no issues.

However now when i try to create an MDT task sequence i get a message:

Windows AIK must be installed on the current machine in order to select this option. Once created, the new package must be distributed to the needed distribution points manually before it can be used by the task sequence.

And "Create a new MDT Files Package" is disabled.

What am i missing?

Thank you.

perhaps you need to be using MDT 2013 preview from here http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2013/06/26/microsoft-deployment-toolkit-2013-preview-now-available.aspx

i havn't tried it yet though, I assume the above is for your LAB use, as you should not be installing R2 preview in production.

Correct. Using in the lab.

I fixed this issue by installing MDT 2013 and Removing MDT extensions for SCCM and re installing MDT extensions.

But now i have a new problem :)

Creating UDI task sequence.

After MDT package step "select existing MDT package", it skips OS image, Deployment Method and Client package and goes right to USMT Package.

How can i set OS image and client packages?

Thanks.

I have just followed this with great interest and have deployed it as your instructions.

However into the installation I get this error

2013-10-11132206.jpg

and then when I click ok the PC reboots and then I get into a loop with this error

2013-10-11132725.jpg

I was using the GB version of the preview file.

well the problem is in the pass specialize as it says so you'll need to check your unattend.xml file to see what the issue is, smsts.log should also give you some more clues.