AdinE

SCDPM 2012 SP1 in a LAB – Configuration (Part B – Configure End User Recovery)

Question

Configure System Center Data Protection Manager – Configure End User Recovery

Configure Active Directory

In reference to this TechNet article, by configuring Active Directory Domain Services to support end-user recovery.

Start by launching the DPM console, and click on Management.

Config AD 01.png

In the toolbar at the top of the screen, click on Options.

Config AD 02.png

On the Options dialog, on the ‘End-User Recovery’ tab, click on the ‘Configure Active Directory’ button.

Config AD 03.png

On the Configure Active Directory dialog, supply credentials with permissions to update Active Directory. Then press OK.

Config AD 04.png

You will encounter the following message, click Yes.

Config AD 05.png

You will also encounter this other message, press OK.

Config AD 06.png

NOTE: You may encounter the following error message. Press OK.

Config AD 07.png

We have to perform a workaround to accomplish this.

Extend Active Directory Schema

Since there is an issue with using the Configure Active Directory option, we have to perform a workaround.

The reason is the way the security of Windows Server is configured.

The workaround is to use the DPMADSchemaExtension tool, located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\End User Recovery\. In order to run this tool logon to a domain controller map to the directory above and run DPMADSchemaExtension.exe.

Log onto a domain controller, and copy the DPMADSchemaExtension.exe tool from the DPM server to the domain controller. Right-click on the EXE and choose ‘Run as Administrator’.

AD Extension 01.png

On the following prompt, click Yes.

AD Extension 02.png

Enter Data Protection Manager Computer Name, note this is not the FQDN name of the server, but just the server name. Then press OK.

AD Extension 03.png

Enter Data Protection Manager Server domain name, note this will be the FQDN domain name so if your domain is yourdomain.local enter yourdomain.local. Then press OK.

AD Extension 04.png

Enter Protected Computer Domain Name. This field can be left blank if the DPM server is in the same domain as the Domain Controller that owns the Schema master role.

AD Extension 05.png

On this information dialog, press OK.

AD Extension 06.png

You may encounter the following prompt, especially if you are attempting this on Windows Server 2012. You will have to close this dialog, install .NET Framework 3.5 and then re-run the DPMADSchemaExtension.exe tool on the Domain Controller.

AD Extension 07.png

After having successfully installed .NET Framework 3.5, and re-running the DPMADSchemaExtension.exe tool, when it completes you should encounter this message. Press OK.

AD Extension 08.png

Log back into your DPM server, and open the Options window. On the End-User Recovery tab, you will notice that the ‘Configure Active Directory’ button is now disabled, and the ‘Enable End-User Recovery’ checkbox is available. Ensure that this checkbox is selected, and press OK.

AD Extension 09.png

You will encounter the following information message, press OK.

AD Extension 10.png

5 answers to this question

When I try to run it on my win 2012 server (DC) I get an error message Active directory could not be configured because the Active directory domain could not be found. make sure that the domain name is properly constructed.

Of course I have checked everything on the dns server and they seem ok. Any advice?

I forgot to mention that the application crashes. This is the error message

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dpmdsacl.exe
Application Version: 4.2.1092.0
Application Timestamp: 51b1e89d
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.2.9200.16384
Fault Module Timestamp: 5010ab2d
Exception Code: e0434352
Exception Offset: 00000000000189cc
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.272.7
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: d522
Additional Information 2: d5228251694f130212c01ab1b52ad2a6
Additional Information 3: f006
Additional Information 4: f0060b8cc4cf2f0263dbfa755d36d270

I'm also having the same problem where the dpmdsacl.exe application crashes when trying to update the schema. I have tried running the schema update from the DPM management GUI and also by logging onto the schema master DC and running DPMADSchemaExtension.exe but I get the same results. I've also tried running as an administrator but no dice. I'm running a new install of DPM 2012 R2, our AD forest is Server 2008 R2. I had played around with DPM 2010 a couple years ago and may have extended the schema back then if that makes a difference.

I'm also having the same problem where the dpmdsacl.exe application crashes when trying to update the schema. I have tried running the schema update from the DPM management GUI and also by logging onto the schema master DC and running DPMADSchemaExtension.exe but I get the same results. I've also tried running as an administrator but no dice. I'm running a new install of DPM 2012 R2, our AD forest is Server 2008 R2. I had played around with DPM 2010 a couple years ago and may have extended the schema back then if that makes a difference

There is a bug. I have already created technet topic about this issue. I've got answer, Microsoft recommends to use DPMadextensiontool from SCDPM 2012 SP1 installation or use a script.

I haven't tried to use this script, I've just copied extension tool from our production backup server.

• Like 1

Check the below link

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e5d6f727-e952-4526-a381-33107fe159e6/dpm-2012-end-user-recovery-extending-ad-schema-tool-crashes-with-error?forum=dataprotectionmanager

Go to the bottom of the link for the solution. Adding those values in the registry fixed the problem in my environment.