murda

How can I deploy Office 2007 with SCCM

Question

How can I deploy Office 2007 with SCCM

In this guide I will deploy Office 2007 Enterprise & Office Language Pack towards a client in a OSD Task Sequence.

Important notice:

You use the Office Customization Tool (OCT) to customize an installation of the 2007 Microsoft Office system. The OCT is part of the Setup program and is the recommended tool for most customizations. You run the OCT by typing setup.exe /admin at the command line. The OCT is available only with volume licensed versions of the 2007 Office system. Office Standard 2007, Office Small Business 2007, Office Professional Plus 2007, and Office Enterprise 2007 are available for purchase through volume licensing. For more information, see How to buy the 2007 Microsoft Office suites (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121942).

To determine if your 2007 Office suite installation is a volume licensed version, check the 2007 Office suite installation disk to see if it contains a folder named Admin. If the Admin folder exists, this disk is a volume license edition. If the Admin folder does not exist, this disk is a retail edition. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 93141: How to determine whether you have a retail edition or a volume license edition of a 2007 Microsoft Office suite (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=149830).

See Technet

If you don't have a Volume license edition then you need to make your customizations with the config.xml.

How you can customize your office with a config.xml is explained here & here.

I have an Enterprise volume license edition so I will proceed with customizing Office 2007 with OCT (.msp file) and the Language Pack with a config.xml file.

First thing I did was download Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise & Language Pack NL edition.

I unpacked the folder to my client pc so I can test the silent installs before making a package in SCCM.

The unpacked folders look like this:

Office 2007 Enterprise:

post-2579-1244803742_thumb.jpg

Office 2007 language pack:

post-2579-1244803781_thumb.jpg

Side note info from technet to understand where the setup.exe is going to check for the customization files (.msp or config.xml)

If you have problems with customizing office

Setup looks for a copy of Config.xml in the same folder as Setup.exe. If a copy is not found there, Setup uses the Config.xml file that resides in the core product folder for the product that you are installing. If there are multiple products available in the installation source, Setup waits until you specify which product to install before it looks for the copy of Config.xml. Because of this design, the Logging element is only used by Setup when the Config.xml file resides in the same folder as Setup.exe, or if you specify the Config.xml file by using the Setup /config command-line option. If Setup uses the Config.xml file in the product folder, the default standard logging options are used.

Next step is open CMD and customize your Office 2007 EE install

Run the following switch from CMD: "setup.exe" /admin

post-2579-1244804076_thumb.jpg

This will open a window and select "Create a new setup customization file for the following product"

post-2579-1244804148_thumb.jpg

For testing I just filled in my Office Enterprise License and the following options:

Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="No" SuppressModal="Yes" AcceptEula="Yes"

I will not go in depth of customizing Office 2007 but you always can check technet for further details on how to customize Office 2007.

When you're done customizing the office 2007 then you can save your customization file in the Office 2007 root folder.

I saved two customizations: Full_silent.msp & Standard_silent.msp

post-2579-1244805743_thumb.jpg

Now lets try out our saved .MSP file and see if it works correctly before proceeding for a Office Language Pack.

Now let's open CMD.

browse to your install and enter the following switch: "setup.exe" /adminfile file.msp

post-2579-1244806063_thumb.jpg

Sidenote: If you only have one .MSP file then you can place it in the Updates folder under the root folder and just run the "setup.exe" without switches. "Setup.exe" will automatic apply the saved .msp file from the updates folder.

If you have more .MSP files like me then place them all in your Office 2007 EE root folder.

Now check the process of the installation.

When you configured the customization as a silent install then you can follow the process in the TaskManager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC)post-2579-1244806287_thumb.jpg

You've to wait till the following files are dissapeared in your taskmanager

- setup.exe

- msiexec.exe

- ose00000.exe

After that you can check if you're office is correctly installed:

post-2579-1244806419_thumb.jpg

Oké, lets install a Language Pack. In my example I am going to install a NL language pack.

Now lets browse to your Language Pack Folder.

Now copy the config.xml file that is in the OMUI.NL-NL to the Office Language pack root folder.

post-2579-1244806966_thumb.jpg

Now you can customize the config.xml with a Text editor (notepad or notepad++).

For more information on how to customize the config.xml for language packs I refer you to this site: technet

This is how my config.xml looks like

post-2579-1244807105_thumb.jpg

The code so you can copy past and test it:

<Configuration Product="OMUI.nl-nl">
<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="No" SuppressModal="Yes" AcceptEula="Yes" />
<AddLanguage Id="nl-nl" ShellTransform="Yes" />
<OptionState Id="OfficeMUI" State="Local" Children="force" />
</Configuration>

Lets test this config.xml just by running the "setup.exe" from the "Language Pack"

Sidenote: If your config.xml is in another directory then (besides the root folder and the OMUI.NL-NL folder then you have to give the full path in the command line).

Example: "setup.exe" /config \\server\share\Office12\OMUI.NL-NL\Config.xml

Check the process in TaskManager like explained above.

When the process is finished, you can select your desired language by selecting "Microsoft Office 2007 Languages"

post-2579-1244808153_thumb.jpg

Checking if the language are installed:

post-2579-1244808388_thumb.jpg

Looks like it is correctly installed.

What about the updates?

Go to Microsoft Office Online and update you office but DO NOT INSTALL them.

Write down the available or needed updates for your office and download them manually to your Updates folder that is located at your Office 2007 EE folder

These updates will be automaticly applied.

post-2579-1244808857_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Office 2007 in SCCM2007

First off all let us put the two folders on your SCCM2007 server.

My server is used for a test environment so I just copied them in my software directory.

post-2579-1245064753_thumb.jpg

Make a folder under your "software distribution" and name the folder "Microsoft Office".

post-2579-1245063392_thumb.jpg

Then we need to make a package for Office 2007 Enterprise and a package for the additional Language Pack that you want to install.

post-2579-1245063928_thumb.jpg

Now fill in the name of the package and click next.

post-2579-1245064283_thumb.jpg

Locate your Office 2007 directory with an UNC path.

eg: \\SCCM07SERVER\\SOFTWARE\OFFICE 2007

post-2579-1245064291_thumb.jpg

Click next till you can click finish.

Then do the same for the language pack

In the next steps we are going to assign the program towards the package.

Expand you "Office 2007" folder under "software distribution" and right click on "programs" and then slect "new - programs".

post-2579-1245065714_thumb.jpg

Fill in the wizard like in the screenshot below.

Command line: "fill in your tested command line like I described above"

post-2579-1245065756_thumb.jpg

Click Next

Select your estimated disk space. (Leave it on unknown if you're running in a test environment)

post-2579-1245066433_thumb.jpg

Click Next

Select "program can run: whether or not a user is logged in".

post-2579-1245066274_thumb.jpg

click Next

Select the following option: "Allow this program to be installed from the Install Software Task Sequence without being advertised."

post-2579-1245067002_thumb.jpg

click Next

Note: The following step can be skipped in a test environment if you don't need a repair option for this program.

In the "windows Installer" screen you can select your .msi file.

The Office 2007 .msi file is located in the Enterprise.WW folder and for the Language Pack it would be OMUI.NL-NL (or FR-FR depends what language pack you want to install)

post-2579-1245066466_thumb.jpg

Click Next & Finish

Try and do the same steps for the Office 2007 Language pack.

The only difference is the command line.

In my case it is just : "setup.exe"

See my screenshot from the program properties.

post-2579-1245067261_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Adding the software in the Task Sequence and advertise towards a collection

I assume everyone can make a Task Sequence for OS deployment.

If not then check Anyweb's guide on how to deploy Windows Vista in SCCM.

- Part 1 - Deploy Vista

- Part 2 - Deploy Vista

- Part 3 - Deploy Vista

- Part 4 - Deploy Vista

- Part 5 - Deploy Vista

- Part 6 - Deploy Vista

I used an existing OSD Task Sequence to try out the office 2007 deployment.

Modify an existing Task Sequence and add the Microsoft Office 2007 package into the Task Sequence under "Install Software"

Click on "Add" - "General" - "Install Software"

post-2579-1245135169_thumb.jpg

Then Click on "browse" to select your Office 2007 software package.

post-2579-1245135289_thumb.jpg

You can edit the name off the "Install Software" towards the name of your software package. In my case it was "Office 2007 FULL"

Click "Apply"

Now follow the same steps for the additional Language Pack

I also assume you have advertised the existing OSD Task Sequence towards a collection.

If not, check Anyweb's how to's I posted above.

Lets check the "Advertisement" properties.

Under "Software Distribution" go to "Advertisements" - "right click on your advertisement" - choose "properties"

Now on the "General" tab select:

- include members of the subcollection

- Make this Task Sequence available to boot media and PXE

sidenote: Your advertisement name and collection can be different from mine so don't mind that. Its important that these settings are the same.

post-2579-1245136587_thumb.jpg

Then go to "Distributions Point" tab:

Then select "Download content locally when needed by running Task Sequence"

post-2579-1245137432_thumb.jpg

Click "Ok"

Test this advertisement on a pc that is in the advertisement collection and PXE boot this client.

• Like 1

hi murda,

it is nice tutorial. thanks for giving me this link.

I tried the first section of this tutorial before creating a package on SCCM. I did exactly as you describe it. I have waited for few hours and yet i can't see those processes you mentioned.

Then i updated existing setup customized file (.msp) file in a way to completionNotice=yes to let me know the status of the application installation process for testing purpose. but it displays this error message "set up was aborted. setup customization files are not supported on this microsoft office product type. Run setup again without usig a setup customization file. This customization file may be located in the updates folder of the installation image"

Fyi, i saved the (.msp) file in E:\software\office 2007\enterprise directory.

thanks a lot!

hi murda,

it is nice tutorial. thanks for giving me this link.

I tried the first section of this tutorial before creating a package on SCCM. I did exactly as you describe it. I have waited for few hours and yet i can't see those processes you mentioned.

Then i updated existing setup customized file (.msp) file in a way to completionNotice=yes to let me know the status of the application installation process for testing purpose. but it displays this error message "set up was aborted. setup customization files are not supported on this microsoft office product type. Run setup again without usig a setup customization file. This customization file may be located in the updates folder of the installation image"

Fyi, i saved the (.msp) file in E:\software\office 2007\enterprise directory.

thanks a lot!

Edit: I updated my first post a bit regarding OCT and config.xml

Which office are you using?

Because If you can't customize your Office 2007 with OCT (.msp file), you have to do it with your config.xml like the I explained in the language pack.

You use the Office Customization Tool (OCT) to customize an installation of the 2007 Microsoft Office system. The OCT is part of the Setup program and is the recommended tool for most customizations. You run the OCT by typing setup.exe /admin at the command line. The OCT is available only with volume licensed versions of the 2007 Office system. Office Standard 2007, Office Small Business 2007, Office Professional Plus 2007, and Office Enterprise 2007 are available for purchase through volume licensing. For more information, see How to buy the 2007 Microsoft Office suites (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121942).

To determine if your 2007 Office suite installation is a volume licensed version, check the 2007 Office suite installation disk to see if it contains a folder named Admin. If the Admin folder exists, this disk is a volume license edition. If the Admin folder does not exist, this disk is a retail edition. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 93141: How to determine whether you have a retail edition or a volume license edition of a 2007 Microsoft Office suite (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=149830).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx

Try the following:

- copy your config.xml that is located in the Enterprise.WW folder into the OFFICE 2007 root folder

- modify the config.xml towards your needs

- run the "setup.exe"

Try it with this config.xml (replace the generated key with your key)

sidenote: remove the !-- --> if you want this option to be applied.

<Configuration Product="Enterprise">

<Display Level="Basic" CompletionNotice="Yes" SuppressModal="Yes" AcceptEula="Yes" />

<!-- <Logging Type="none" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Office Enterprise Setup(*).txt" /> -->

<PIDKEY Value="C33MX33GY311TTF3D2FV8GQFG" />

<!-- <USERNAME Value="Customer" /> -->

<!--COMPANYNAME Value="yourcompany" /> -->

<!-- <INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" /> -->

<!-- <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" /> -->

<!-- <SOURCELIST Value="\\server1\share\Office12;\\server2\share\Office12" /> -->

<!-- <DistributionPoint Location="\\server\share\Office12" /> -->

<!-- <OptionState Id="OptionID" State="absent" Children="force" /> -->

<!--Setting Id="Reboot" Value="Never" /> -->

<!-- <Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\server\share\my.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" /> -->

</Configuration>

good guide!

When I deploy Office 2007 to a machine where Office 2003 is already there.....the Office 2007 setup upgrades 2003 but the links to Office 2003 apps is still there in Start > Programs.

I hear in other forums that the only way to handle this is to uninstall 2003 first and then run 2007 setup.

How are others here solving this problem?

Hi Murda,

I hope your doing well,

I have problem advertising office 2007 via sccm ,

I created ms office 2007 package adding with some additional languages.I configured config.xml file as following below.

I created program with setup.exe /config "Proplus.WW\Config.xml" with this i can execute successfully from command prompt .when i try to distribute using sccm not installing .

Could you please advise on this .

- <Configuration Product="ProPlus">

<Display Level="Basic" CompletionNotice="yes" SuppressModal="No" AcceptEula="yes" />

<Logging Type="standard" Path="%ProgramFiles%\office\Logs" Template="Microsoft Office Professional Plus Setup(*).txt" />

<PIDKEY Value="B6PKR-XYQWK-XK6MH-BJKD6-RV2V3" />

<AddLanguage Id="match" ShellTransform="yes" />

<AddLanguage Id="en-us" />

<AddLanguage Id="ja-jp" />

<AddLanguage Id="ko-kr" />

<AddLanguage Id="NB-No" />

<AddLanguage Id="DE-DE" />

<AddLanguage Id="zh-cn" />

- <!-- <USERNAME Value="Aptina" />

-->

<COMPANYNAME Value="Aptina Imaging Corporation" />

<INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" />

- <!-- <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" />

-->

<SOURCELIST Value="\\softwareunc\software\Enterprise\Applications\Win32\Microsoft\Office\2007\ProfessionalPlus;http://software/Enterprise/Applications/Win32/Microsoft/Office/2007/ProfessionalPlus" />

<OptionState Id="ACCESSFiles" State="Local" Children="force" />

<OptionState Id="EXCELFiles" State="Local" Children="force" />

<OptionState Id="OUTLOOKFiles" State="Local" Children="force" />

<OptionState Id="PPTFiles" State="Local" Children="force" />

<OptionState Id="PubPrimary" State="Local" Children="force" />

<OptionState Id="WORDFiles" State="Local" Children="force" />

<OptionState Id="XDOCFiles" State="Local" Children="force" />

<OptionState Id="SHAREDFiles" State="Local" Children="force" />

<OptionState Id="TOOLSFiles" State="Local" Children="force" />

<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="NEVER" />

- <!-- <Command Path="msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\server\share\my.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" />

-->

</Configuration>

Good day,

I've tried deploying Office 07 Enterprise a few times now and I keep getting the same result. The program begins to install but the initial dialog appears asking which product I wish to install. I used OCT to create my MSP package and it is placed in the Updates folder. I still see this dialog. I tried using the config.xml file as well to cache the install then a TS to execute the install from the local media. This also produced the same dialog. Any ideas as to what I am doign wrong? If I simply select Enterprise from this first dialog, the install continues and works fine.

Jimm

Can anyone tell me what happens if a users is working in office 03 and sccm tries to install office 07. Will the user get a notification, or will it just close out the application they are working in and install 07? I have tested that my package work, but it has never completed the install while I was actually in the office. I am ready to push this out to about 100 users but my boss would like to know this before we start so we can let the users know what will take place.

Good day,

I've tried deploying Office 07 Enterprise a few times now and I keep getting the same result. The program begins to install but the initial dialog appears asking which product I wish to install. I used OCT to create my MSP package and it is placed in the Updates folder. I still see this dialog. I tried using the config.xml file as well to cache the install then a TS to execute the install from the local media. This also produced the same dialog. Any ideas as to what I am doign wrong? If I simply select Enterprise from this first dialog, the install continues and works fine.

Jimm

Hi,

You can specify the product to be installed by using the /config switch:

setup.exe /adminfile file.msp /config Enterprise.WW\config.xml

You don't have to modify the config.xml but there are some options that you can uncomment

• Like 1