BzowK

"Dynamic" Boot Media Gives "MP Location Returned an Empty Site Code"

Good Morning Guys / Niall -

This morning we had some issues testing OSD builds in our SCCM 2012 SP1 CU2 environment. We used a USB drive we made into boot media a few days ago to boot up an "Unknown Computer." After clicking the initial "Next," we got the error 0x80004005 instead of no task sequences being listed.

I tried re-creating the media (Dynamic), but still got the same error. After research, I re-created the media once more with the same settings - except - used "Site-Based" instead of "Dynamic" and it worked as I am now displayed a list of task sequences to run.

Why would "Site-Based" media work and "Dynamic" media not?

Below are some environment details as well as other things I examined...

• Primary server is remote to location, but do have a local secondary
  • Boot Image Config I used on all 3 times I tried above:

- Boot Image: Selected Image

- Distribution Point - Selected Local Secondary

- Management Point - Selected Primary Server (only option)

• IP was retrieved on machine via DHCP. After opening a command prompt, I could ping both primary and secondary servers
  • Verified machine's IP (via DHCP) was in a boundary (It's Subnet was entered). Boundary was assigned to the proper local secondary

In the log file, there was only a couple of lines which noted errors (besides PXE which we don't use)

error1.png?dl=1&token_hash=AAFePkbp38fHA

Attached is the smsts.log file - just in case - names were changed for security...

smsts.log

Any ideas? Thank Guys!

I have a very similar issue. I have 3 secondary sites. Two of them are other offices that connects to us through our MPLS network. We can image from those offices just fine. The other office (the one with the problem) connects to us through a VPN tunnel. I feel like that may have somethign to do with it. Also, when creating bootable media, I am only ever able to select the MP of the primary site. Should the scondary site MP's be listed there? I am running R2.

Hopefully someone has found a fix to this problem.

smsts.log