• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  • Interests:Deploying Operating systems and more with System Center Configuration Manager

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:00 AM

Step 1. Advertise the Task Sequence

In the Operating System Deployment node, click on Task Sequences and right click on the Task Sequence we just created, choose Advertise

advertise.jpg

when the General screen comes up, choose the settings as below in the screenshot, you can browse to a collection called Deploy 7 (you should have created this collection beforehand).

deploy 7 collection.jpg

Schedule

Set your schedule depending on whether you are in a Lab or Production Environment.

For a Lab Environment

Make the Task Sequence mandatory by clicking on the yellow star and select As soon as possible.

Select ignore maintenance windows when runing program and allow system restart, set the program rerun behaviour to always rerun program so that we can rerun the task sequence over and over as we require for testing.

for a lab env.jpg

For a Production Environment

In a Production environment set the advertisement from Mandatory to Optional, this gives us less risk of an accidental deployment but also introduces the possibilty of choice.

for a prod env.jpg

if you want to remove choice then keep the advertisement mandatory but change the program rerun behaviour to never rerun (see below screenshot).

never rerun.jpg

select the following Distribution Point options

dp.jpg

show the task sequence progress

show the task sequence progress.jpg

and click next, next, next and close.

at this point you can right click on the Deploy 7 collection, choose properties and you'll see our new Task Sequence is advertised to that collection

advertisement.jpg

Step 2. Last Actions

All you have to do now is Add systems to the Deploy 7 collection and pxe boot them, then they will get imaged with our pre-captured Deploy 7 Enterprise X64 RTM image.

You can do this in many ways, either by Direct Membership, Computer Association, AD groups membership....

job done !
Microsoft MVP > Enterprise Client Management
My linkedin profile at > linkedin.com
Follow me on Twitter > ncbrady
Follow windowsnoob.com on Twitter > windowsnoob
My blog

#2 Shaun

Shaun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

OK, so today i tried the entire step-by-step guide and this went smoothly. I advertised to my "Test machine". It got as far as Partitioning the disk where it says "Formatting Volume E". It completes the format (which took extremely long) then comes up with the ffg error 0x80004005. What could be the cause of this?? thanks

#3 Peter van der Woude

Peter van der Woude

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:30 PM

Can you show something of your smsts.log?

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

#4 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  • Interests:Deploying Operating systems and more with System Center Configuration Manager

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

you can speed up the format by editing the task sequence and putting a checkmark in 'quick format' in the Partition Disk 0 section.

Attached Images

• quick.jpg

My blog

#5 KuifJe

KuifJe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

you can speed up the format by editing the task sequence and putting a checkmark in 'quick format' in the Partition Disk 0 section.

I tried this for a fresh deployment of a new system, however after booting into WinPE it would exit with no error code. Instead it says there's no Task Sequence available for this machine.

I then removed the checkmark and everything worked perfectly.

This was with a virtual machine on Hyper-V.

#6 jeaostro

jeaostro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:IT Security, SCCM, Tandberg

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

Get this error when trying to deploy WIndows 7, but WIndows XP deployment Works:

Failed to connect to "\\XXX\SMSPXEIMAGES$\SMSPKG\POC00016" (86) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)
!slistSMBPaths.empty(), HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\resolvesource.cpp,2163) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)
FALSE, HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\tspolicy.cpp,1635) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)
Content location request for POC00016:28 failed. (Code 0x80040103) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)
pTSPolicyManager->GetContentLocations( m_sPackageID, m_lSourceVersion, m_dwContentSourceFlags, slistContentLocations, slistHttpContentLocations, slistMulticastContentLocations, m_dwContentPackageFlags ), HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\tspolicy.cpp,2330) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)
(*iTSReference)->Resolve( pTSPolicyManager, dwResolveFlags ), HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\tspolicy.cpp,2862) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)
m_pSelectedTaskSequence->Resolve( m_pPolicyManager, TS::Policy::TaskSequence::ResolvePolicy | TS::Policy::TaskSequence::ResolveSource, fpCallbackProc, pv, hCancelEvent), HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\tsmbootstrap\tsmediawizardcontrol.cpp,1208) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)
Failed to resolve selected task sequence dependencies. Code(0x80040103) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)
hrReturn, HRESULT=80040103 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\tsmbootstrap\tsmediaresolveprogresspage.cpp,408) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)
ThreadToResolveAndExecuteTaskSequence failed. Code(0x80040103) TSPxe 12.10.2009 15:51:08 1400 (0x0578)

IN POC00016 we have the the Windows PE .wim file.

Does anybody know what the problem is??

Thanks.

Jean André

#7 jeaostro

jeaostro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:IT Security, SCCM, Tandberg

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

hehehe, solved :) Tried another port in the switch and everything worked. Looks like a faulty cisco port strange..

#8 Rajiv

Rajiv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for the very nice writeup.

I am trying to find out this:

In the Deploy Win 7 collection...how do I include a fresh [bare metal] PC which has no OS?
I guess a bare metal PC can be added using its MAC address. But when I try to add its MAC, SCCM's console does not detect it {I mean it does not appear in the search results} when I go into the collection >> properties.

So how is a bare-metal machine imaged using SCCM?

- Rajeev

rajdude.com

#9 Rajiv

Rajiv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

ok, so I found the answer to my question here:

http://blogs.technet...nager-2007.aspx

on that page....go to :
Step 2: Create a bare metal client record:

- Rajeev

rajdude.com

#10 lucent6408d

lucent6408d

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

Quick Question

When the advertisement is created as recommended in here from the Task Sequense, where is the actual avertisement in case I want to go later and modify? I checked were all my advertisemets are normally but is not there and I know there is one becuase it shows in the collection.

#11 Vinay Kumar C

Vinay Kumar C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:59 AM

Quick Question

When the advertisement is created as recommended in here from the Task Sequense, where is the actual avertisement in case I want to go later and modify? I checked were all my advertisemets are normally but is not there and I know there is one becuase it shows in the collection.

I am currently trying Deploy Windows 7 x64 Operating System Using SCCM 1007 SP2. Initially Laptop was rebooting after booting to WinPE, I checked the issue and found that LAN card Drivers were missing. I have Injected the Drivers Manually and now the Laptop Boots to WinPE and gets a IP, Formats the Hard Drive and Downloads the .wim and after that I see a message saying Applying Operating System and the next statement says Applying operating system to c:\ and when the blue bar completes I get a task sequence error and system reboots in 15 minutes.. I have attached the error message.

I am trying to deploy a operating system on Acer Travelmate 4740.

Attached Images

• SCCM Error.jpg

#12 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

we\d need to see the smsts.log file to find out why it failed
My blog

#13 Vinay Kumar C

Vinay Kumar C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

we\d need to see the smsts.log file to find out why it failed

Hi,

I know i am asking a very stupid question. But how will i be able to get the smsts.log from a baremetal Laptop.

#14 anyweb

anyweb

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

enable f8 support in your boot image, press f8 and find it here
My blog

#15 Vinay Kumar C

Vinay Kumar C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

enable f8 support in your boot image, press f8 and find it here

Thank You. i was able to find it and attached is the log.

Requesting you to help me on the same. I'm unable to findout the issue.

Attached Files

#16 Eswar Koneti

Eswar Koneti

MCTS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Interests:Computers,Gaming

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

Thank You. i was able to find it and attached is the log.

Requesting you to help me on the same. I'm unable to findout the issue.

Seems that an incorrect image is trying to be applied during the "Apply Operating System Image" task. At the "Apply Operating System Image" task, an image that contains a Windows OS needs to be selected. If a data image is selected instead, the errors will occur.
How are you doing the this step in applying Operating system.

Image does not contain OS architecture information. Unable to verify that the OS will be compatable with the target machine.<BR>Unable to find a Windows system root at C:\. Element not found. (Error: 80070490; Source: Windows)<BR>Failed to find the system root for the applied OS.  Element not found. (Error: 80070490; Source: Windows)

check out this link for more information http://support.micro....com/kb/2023447
Configmgr Blog : www.eskonr.com
LinkedIn profile : linkedin.com

#17 Vinay Kumar C

Vinay Kumar C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

Seems that an incorrect image is trying to be applied during the "Apply Operating System Image" task. At the "Apply Operating System Image" task, an image that contains a Windows OS needs to be selected. If a data image is selected instead, the errors will occur.
How are you doing the this step in applying Operating system.

Image does not contain OS architecture information. Unable to verify that the OS will be compatable with the target machine.<BR>Unable to find a Windows system root at C:\. Element not found. (Error: 80070490; Source: Windows)<BR>Failed to find the system root for the applied OS.  Element not found. (Error: 80070490; Source: Windows)

check out this link for more information http://support.micro....com/kb/2023447

Hi,

i have captured a image from a refrence machine. I have the .wim file of the image. I had to save the image in the local hard disk but in different partition as capture to the network share didn't work.

I have image's in my task sequence which say 1-1 2-2 3-3. I'm not sure which one is the right image. How will i be able to find it. currently i have 2-2 selected in my task sequence.

#18 Eswar Koneti

Eswar Koneti

MCTS

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Interests:Computers,Gaming

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:47 AM

Hi,

i have captured a image from a refrence machine. I have the .wim file of the image. I had to save the image in the local hard disk but in different partition as capture to the network share didn't work.

I have image's in my task sequence which say 1-1 2-2 3-3. I'm not sure which one is the right image. How will i be able to find it. currently i have 2-2 selected in my task sequence.

Another post avilable from you on http://www.windows-n...-sccm-2007-sp2/ .seems to be the same post on this issue.

You can verify this Under the option "Select image you want to view:", switch between the different images (i.e., "1-1" or "2-2") that are contained in the WIM file. Determine which image, i.e. 1-1 or 2-2, contains the Windows installation. The image that contains the Windows installation will have information next to the fields "OS version", "Architecture", "HAL Type", and "Description". The non-Windows data image will not have anything next to these fields.

Select Images.jpg

Configmgr Blog : www.eskonr.com
LinkedIn profile : linkedin.com

#19 Antonius138

Antonius138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:34 PM

I have a very simple and quick question...I have an "upgrade" image that I have developed that captures the user state and then migrates from Windows XP to Windows 7 and then restores the state. Since we are capturing the state and not performing a bare-metal deplopyment...does the machine have to be logged on for the advertisement to kick off the upgrade. The client machine does have the SCCM client installed.

Thanks for any tips,

Anthony

#20 Peter van der Woude

Peter van der Woude

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

If you are capturing the user state 'Offline' then there is not need to have a user logged on (http://www.petervand...-Offline-(WinPE)-or-Online-(FullOS)-with-ConfigMgr-2007.aspx).

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Locations of visitors to this page