Welcome to windows-noob.com
Welcome to windows-noob.com!
If you came here looking for the Microsoft Intune or SCCM Guides then please check the links below or use the links on the side-bar to the right of your screen.
Register for free and ask your question in our forums.
Join the windows-noob community to share your Windows experiences and knowledge!
Microsoft released Build 14393 for both PC and Mobile to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. This build includes a handful of new fixes to take note of:Improvements and fixes for PC
- We have improved the reliability of Start, Cortana, and Action Center.
- You should now be able to mount iPods as USB mass-storage devices.
- We fixed an issue resulting in rapid battery drain when Visual Voicemail syncs voicemail messages on Dual SIM devices like the Lumia 950 XL.
- We also fixed an issue causing some battery drain on older devices like the Lumia 535, 640, 735, 830, 930 and Icon.
- We fixed the issue causing Voice Recorder to not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording. A app update was released last Friday that fixes this issue. Make sure you have the app version 10.1607.1931.0.
- We fixed several issues impacting Dual SIM capabilities. Using a device with two SIMs should work as it should.
We are aware of certain cases in which Surface Books and Surface Pro 4’s may bugcheck (bluescreen) due to a camera driver issue. An updated driver will roll-out via Windows Update soon that will fix this.After updating to this build (Build 14393), you should no longer experience bugchecks (bluescreens) due to a camera driver issue. The bad driver is removed on updating to this build and a new driver is rolling out via Windows Update.
Read more at https://blogs.window...7/18/build14393
another week, another Insider Preview release, this time build 14390
The Microsoft Edge Team has a new extension to tell you about that many of you have been waiting for:
- Amazon Assistant: Amazon’s official browser extension is now available for Microsoft Edge! Amazon Assistant helps you make better decisions wherever you shop online by giving you access to Deal of the Day, Product Comparison, Wish List and Shortcuts to your favorite Amazon destinations. Check out all of the available extensions by launching Microsoft Edge, opening the “…”menu, selecting “Extensions” and then clicking “Get extensions from the Store”.”
- You should no longer see the error code 0x80004005 when enabling Developer Mode on the “For Developers” Settings page if your PC is using a non-EN-US language.
- AWARENESS: A recent fix went into place for the Hyper-V firmware that will that affect the ability to boot Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 5 VMs with Secure Boot enabled. A fix for TP5 builds has been developed however, due to release schedules, the Insider Preview build changes will be released before the TP5 fix is released. During that time, if you try to boot a new TP5 VM with Secure Boot enabled, it will fail. The workaround is to disable Secure Boot during this period.
more info > https://blogs.window...-pc-and-mobile/
Hello my Windows Insiders!
Surprise! Today we are releasing Build 14385 for both PC and Mobile to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. But wait – it’s the weekend!? We’re churning out builds like crazy and this one has a few hundred bug fixes we wanted to get out to Insiders as quickly as possible to help validate scenarios to make sure we are together building the best possible product.Improvements and fixes for PC
- You should no longer see a notification pop-up once a day saying that your Windows evaluation copy expires on 7/15/2016. I know this has caused a lot of you some angst so thank you for being patient.
- We have improved battery life for Surface devices.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Spotify sometimes crashing while playing music.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Google Chrome window being clipped on the top when maximized.
- We fixed an issue with Mobile Hotspot that could result the host device bug-checking (bluescreen) and rebooting if it was sharing on a 5GHz band and the connected device browsed to certain websites.
- We fixed an issue where the pin prompt shown when connecting to certain VPNs would display behind the other open windows.
- We fixed an issue resulting in LastPass and AdBlock extensions for Microsoft Edge not showing the expected context menu items or status information in subsequently opened Edge windows. We also fixed an issue where the current tab in Edge might hang after exiting Web Notes.
- Projecting to a PC auto-discoverability is off by default. To have your PC beacon so it can be discovered and you can project to it through the Connect quick action from a Continuum enabled phone or another PC, go to Settings > System > Projecting to this PC and set “Windows PCs and phones can project to this PC when you say it’s OK” to “Available everywhere” or “Available everywhere on secure networks”. You can also set other settings on this page to your preference.
Read more at https://blogs.window...indows-noob.com
Microsoft has announced the next major update to Windows 10 – the Windows 10 Anniversary Update – is coming on August 2.
This new release of Windows 10 includes features that bring Windows Ink and Cortana to the mainstream;
a faster, more accessible and more power-efficient Microsoft Edge browser;
advanced security features for consumers and enterprises;
new gaming experiences and new tools for the modern classroom.
Everyone running Windows 10 will get these new features for free.
more info > https://blogs.window...lable-august-2/
Microsoft has released yet another Windows Insider preview release, in the line up to the Anniversary Update which should be coming out soon...
This time it's Windows 10 Insider Preview build 14383
- The link to “Get more extensions from the Store” under the Extensions pane in Microsoft Edge now takes you directly to the Store to download available extensions.
- We have changed the keyboard shortcut to invoke Cortana in listening mode to Win + Shift + C based on feedback from Insiders experiencing a large number of unintended activations of Cortana while in listening mode. Speaking “Hey Cortana”, when enabled in Cortana Settings, continues to invoke Cortana in listening mode as it always has.
- Going forward from this build, updates to the Quick Action area of Action Center will be preserved across upgrades.
- We fixed an issue where disconnecting the Surface Book from an external monitor set as primary might result in the Surface Book screen showing in portrait rather than landscape until having detached and reattached the screen.
- We fixed an issue where the Settings app was showing media controls in the taskbar preview window.
- We fixed an issue where dragging the file comparison or manage library dialogs between two monitors with different DPIs would result in the dialog content no longer displaying correctly
- We fixed an issue where the checkmark used to indicate a selected state in app bar toggle buttons wasn’t visible in high contrast, for example in the Photos menu under “…”.
- We fixed an issue where connecting to a PC using Remote Desktop when a maximized window is immediately behind the Remote Desktop dialog would result in the subsequent the Credential UI window being displayed behind the maximized window.
- We fixed an issue where, with certain monitor configurations, Explorer.exe would hang after a tooltip is displaying.
- We fixed an issue resulting in certain Bluetooth mice, such as the Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse, sometimes accelerating erratically when moving the cursor across the screen.
- We fixed an issue where on certain webpages in Microsoft Edge when Narrator was in Scan mode and going line by line through a list of hyperlinks, Narrator wouldn’t announce the fact that these were hyperlinks.
- We fixed an issue with certain websites potentially causing a memory leak and becoming unresponsive in Microsoft Edge when the LastPass extension had been enabled.
- We have improved battery performance for those who tend to quickly turn the screen on and off in order to look at the Lock screen.
- We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge where zooming in and out of embedded maps could sometimes result in the map jumping to an unexpected location.
- We fixed an issue resulting in volume mute not working on certain devices, such as the Lumia 640, when playing YouTube videos that use the OPUS audio codec.
- We fixed an issue where if you are connected to a car via Bluetooth that supports it, tapping “End Call” on the car’s console wouldn’t work while an incoming text was being announced.
- We fixed an issue resulting in not being about to make Store purchases using mobile operator billing when using an Orange SIM.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Groove sometimes unexpectedly pausing music after music has manually been paused and resumed.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the keyboard sometimes outputting @ and € instead of “a” and “e” for certain languages in Windows Phone 8.1 apps.
- We fixed an issue resulting in many Windows Phone 8.1 games seeming to play in slow motion on certain devices, such as the Lumia 535.
- We fixed an issue where notifications received while the screen was off didn’t take into consideration the proximity sensor, resulting in the screen turning on to display the notification while in pockets, potentially leading to accidental screen presses.
- We fixed an issue where Visual Voicemail setup wouldn’t appear after hard resetting the device.
- We fixed an issue resulting in tiles pinned from within apps sometimes being blank and not falling back to show the app name within the tile. Also fixed an issue where “SIM 2” title was missing from pinned Messaging and Phone tiles for the second SIM.
- We fixed an issue resulting in incorrect Start screen scaling after switching from Continuum/Extended Desktop to Mirrored/Duplicated screen on devices with a non-default DPI.
- We fixed an issue resulting in there sometimes being a delay when showing the missed call count on the Phone app Live tile.
- If you are seeing a notification pop-up once a day that started on 7/1 saying that your Windows evaluation copy expires on 7/15/2016, don’t worry – this is a superfluous dialog and your OS won’t expire. The dialog will also go away soon.
- A recent fix went into place for the Hyper-V firmware that will that affect the ability to boot Windows Server 2016 Tech Preview 5 VMs with Secure Boot enabled. A fix for TP5 builds has been developed however, due to release schedules, the Insider Preview build changes will be released before the TP5 fix is released. During that time, if you try to boot a new TP5 VM with Secure Boot enabled, it will fail. The workaround is to disable Secure Boot during this period.
- Voice Recorder does not show up consistently as an option for Call Recording.
- You can open PDFs in Microsoft Edge but won’t be able to use touch to interact with the PDF (such as scrolling, pan or zoom). When you try to use touch to interact with a PDF, it will constantly reload the PDF.
- REMINDER: We have changed the backup format for Windows 10 Mobile devices to reduce the size of the backup stored in OneDrive. As a result, if you do a backup on a device running the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds and move back to the released version of Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and restore from your backup – your Start screen layout won’t restore and remain the default Start layout. Your previous backup also gets overwritten. If you need to go back to Build 10586 temporarily, once you are on Build 10586 you should disable backup so it doesn’t overwrite the good backup from Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds.
- Today's Active Topics
- SCCM Current Branch Guides
- Microsoft Intune Guides
- SCCM 2012 Guides
- SCCM 2007 Guides
- SMS 2003 Guides
- MDT 2013
- SCOM 2012 Guides
- SCOM 2007 Guides
- Exchange 2013 Guides
- KMS Guides
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008
- WDS Guides
- Windows SIM Guides
- RIS Guides
- windows-noob T-shirts
- Follow us on Twitter
- Frontends and WebServices
To Deploy a VHD to all domain PCs/ Laptops and set up for Native Boot?
xbliss - Jul 22 2016 02:32 PM
Skype for Business 2016 Shortcut Fix
tarinhtx - Jul 21 2016 09:39 PM
Issue with Task Sequence and NAA
jtelling - Jul 21 2016 08:18 PM
Deploying without repartitioning
MadMacs77 - Jul 21 2016 06:39 PM
ConfigMgr 2012 RTM and Windows 10
nhottinger - Jul 21 2016 12:40 PM
Internet based client (IBCM) stuck/switching to "Currently Intranet" instead of "Currently Internet"
pembertj - Jul 21 2016 02:19 AM
Restore state from another computer - SMP Root share info response is empty OSDSMPCli
shineknox - Jul 20 2016 08:09 PM
Cannot inject NIC driver into boot.wim
Mr. Strat - Jul 20 2016 05:51 PM
Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393 for PC and Mobile
anyweb - Jul 20 2016 02:02 PM
Software Deployment Task Sequence
haribo48 - Jul 20 2016 12:55 PM
Bing, Google, Yahoo