RGB09

Windows XP and WDS

Question

Hi Guy's this is just a simple question, and maybe someone can help me with some tips and suggestions. I have been trying to deploy/capture an XP image from a HP DC7900 ultra-slim form PC. I have deployed images before with RIS with no problems, but now I am trying to use WDS to image and deploy to the aforementioned PC's.

I have follwed the instructions on this site, I have even managed to inject the NIC drivers, unfortunately I am still trying to find the correct ones.

A couple of questions to start with;

1- if I want to capture an XP machine, does it have to have the pre-installed version of XP, the one that is on the recovery disc, or can I use any ISO version?

2- has anyone successfully captured and deployed an XP machine? if so how did you do it?

Sorry to be a pain, but I have serched the net for this but everything thing seems to be on deploying Vista or Server 2008....

Any help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Hi this is great, I will try this tonight and let you know what happens... thanks for all your help. BTW which drivers did you use in the end???

IT WORKS!!!! this is great, I have managed to capture an image and also deploy an image successfully... I have followed your steps closely about injecting drivers and they are the same steps I used! Did you copy all the drivers into the boot.wim file?

Now I just have to see if I can image some Toshiba Laptops :unsure: I'll let you know how I get on ;)

great stuff.

always when injecting drivers into boot.wim verify that the file date changes afterwards (and size)

imagex /unmount c:\mount

will not commit any changes you make unless you do it as follows

imagex /commit /unmount c:\mount

great stuff.

always when injecting drivers into boot.wim verify that the file date changes afterwards (and size)

imagex /unmount c:\mount

will not commit any changes you make unless you do it as follows

imagex /commit /unmount c:\mount

This is interesting, I have just re-read your instructions for injecting drivers, does it make any differance that when I injected the inf files I used *.inf rather than name the .inf files individually? I can't see how that makes any differnce, or does it?

i don't think it should have made a difference, my guess is you just forgot to commit the changes,

can you verify ?

Yes you were right I checked my other notes and I did not have the commit switch... again thanks ;)