anyweb

How can I deploy Windows 8.1 x64 to the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager ?

check the dhcp scope options on your dhcp server, see if any are set in relation to PXE boot )options 66,67) if they are remove them, restart dhcp and try again

Thanks very much.

We do indeed have options 66 and 67 set.

It is working fine for all other desktop/laptops we are trying build, just the Surface Pro 3.

I was under the impression that these were required in order for the PXE boot function to operate (as it runs from a different server to our DHCP server) - It also mentions something similar on the link you provided - "When using DHCP Options for PXE Boot, Option 66 and 67 are needed. Option 66 must be the IP-address of your WDS server, Option 67 must be SMSBoot\x86\wdsnbp.com (which is the first file needed during the PXE Boot process)."

Is this not the case ?

Thanks

Sorry for the late response.

The Surface Pro 3s are

x64

4GB RAM

128 - 256GB driver

i5 2.5Ghz

I was wondering what Cosmic had for the 300 Surfaces. 2 or 3?

One last thing. The firmware updates cannot be pushed out if you are using WSUS. The automation with the Surface Pro 3s are not so automated. I had to have the Help Desk flash the UEFI prior to imaging. This makes for a grumpy staff when you have a whole pallet.

Our district is going on Christmas vacation today so I will be back on the research and development after the new year.

Cheers!

if you can't change the DHCP options or set ip helpers as Peter advised, then you can boot the UEFI devices using USB bootable media.

Thanks - We will need to get the IP Helpers configured, but in the meantime what is the easiest way to create UEFI USB bootable media for our SC configuration ?

select the task sequence node in the Configuration Manager console, click on Create Task Sequence Media at the top ribbon, and select Boot Media,

make sure to select a 64bit boot wim, and follow the rest of the wizard, to see how to boot a suface pro 3 review my videos here. Note that for USB boot, you will need some kind of USB hub to connect both the usb bootable media and your use network card at the same time (or use the Surface Pro 3 docking station)

• Like 1