Scott S

Using Hyper V to build images

Question

Is it possible to build Server and Workstation images on a virtual environment such has Hyper V? I'm having an issue with booting up my virtual machines with PXE to upload my images after I configure them. I've tried PXE Booting and it won't work, i've also tried creating a bootable media and still no luck. When booting up with the Bootable Media, it gives an error stating that it was unable to find a valid network adapter. I know when I read other forums they suggest using Virtual PC 2007, which I hope it's not the case and I can use Hyper V.

I've tried adding all the VM drivers to the bootable images that I extracted from 'Integration Setup Disks'. And still no luck.

Thanks for all your help.

6 answers to this question

Is it possible to build Server and Workstation images on a virtual environment such has Hyper V?

Yes it is possible, in fact I'm running my testenvironment in Hyper-V. I also used virtual machine to create my workstations image and I didn't need to add any drivers to my bootimage.

hyperv works fine, my second lab runs exclusively on hyperv and that is one AD server (2008) one SCCM server (2008), one Server 2008 R2, 2 xp and 2 windows 7 clients curently and i too didn't have to add anything to the boot images, all the machines aside from AD and SCCM were deployed via the sccm server in hyperv

so, we'll need to see your log files to understand what you problems really are, or are you forgetting to Add a Legacy Network card and adding it as first boot device ?

Yes it is possible, in fact I'm running my testenvironment in Hyper-V. I also used virtual machine to create my workstations image and I didn't need to add any drivers to my bootimage.

How do you have the Network Adapters setup? For some reason everytime I boot this machine using either Bootable Media or PXE it says it can't find a valid network adapter. Seems like it's not even seeing the nic to install the drivers.

Thanks again

hyperv works fine, my second lab runs exclusively on hyperv and that is one AD server (2008) one SCCM server (2008), one Server 2008 R2, 2 xp and 2 windows 7 clients curently and i too didn't have to add anything to the boot images, all the machines aside from AD and SCCM were deployed via the sccm server in hyperv

so, we'll need to see your log files to understand what you problems really are, or are you forgetting to Add a Legacy Network card and adding it as first boot device ?

You know that could be it. I just have it using the regular network adapter and not the Legacy Network Adapter. I'm going to switch that and try again.

Thanks for all your input.

I just discovered HyperV to create my images. Before that I used Vmware...

I'm facing the problem that I cannot boot on the network if the virtual machine has already been installed. I cannot access the bios of the HyperV machine and changed the order of boot in HyperV settings to first Legacy NIC, CD, Floppy, HD.