anyweb

changes to the site

hi all,

unfortunately a website out there has ripped off (and without permission) pretty much ALL of the content (including the layout) of windows-noob.com and is using it on their 'forums' with no link back to here and is effectively claiming it as their content even though some of the 'guides' contain screenshots of windows-noob.* address's.

One of the two people who carried this out was a young Saudi Arabian called 'Kane Bagwell' from the same site and his accomplice The_Last_Remnant. Because of this extreme lameness I am now left with the possibility that this will keep on happening so I'm pondering how to deal with it,

do I protect all screenshots on the forum with a www.windows-noob.com logo on them or use some other form of protection ?

I am open to ideas and suggestions so please give me your opinion on this

cheers

niall

thanks Peter,

can you recommend any software that I could use to watermark all the images, they are contained in multiple folders on the server I just want to be able to point the software to the folder and let it update all images found

I hate doing this, but I hate getting the site ripped off even more :(

I think you should begin with changing the SQL Password and username used by the forum.

The way they have copied the material is either by SQL inject or allot of copy n paste...

What kind of server are you using for windows-noob? So we know if we should be looking for windows or linux software for protecting images (watermark).

i think they did copy and paste, the SQL data itself would only give them the DATA and not the screenshots,

but of course i could be wrong, there is nothing on the server to indicate a sql injection or other attack/hack

the server hosting this is running centos/apache/mysql/php

after some detailed log analysis I can see that they are using a webcopier program called httrack and an anonymous VPN service to hide their IP while copying

so I will implement some content filtering to try and block webcopiers.........

Not very nice of those guy's. Like Peter says disabling the right click is no option. To watermark the images with the watermark feature of Photoshop could bve a solution. it's alot of work cause it coul'd not be batched. The watermark of photoshop could be used best i think cause will leave the image readable better then other watermark software.

hi all,

unfortunately a website out there has ripped off (and without permission) pretty much ALL of the content (including the layout) of windows-noob.com and is using it on their 'forums' with no link back to here and is effectively claiming it as their content even though some of the 'guides' contain screenshots of windows-noob.* address's.

One of the two people who carried this out was a young Saudi Arabian called 'Kane Bagwell' from the same site and his accomplice The_Last_Remnant. Because of this extreme lameness I am now left with the possibility that this will keep on happening so I'm pondering how to deal with it,

do I protect all screenshots on the forum with a www.windows-noob.com logo on them or use some other form of protection ?

I am open to ideas and suggestions so please give me your opinion on this

cheers

niall

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.