jackvdbuk

Network load and SUG deployment

Hi all,

in the process of setting up a SCCM2012 system for my company which has around 500 devices mainly in one location and one in dublin and 3 miles away from the server..

my manager is worried about network load on pushing updates to clients machines and as such i would like to work out or monitor the network load on this server as she has bailed on this project being used for computers now.. so which application is best for the task so i can show evidence it will have no major issues with the network?

things to note:

i have mentioned we can deploy updates Out of hours...through maintenance windows..

i will make sure clients do not check too often for new updates / hardware scans etc..

is there anything else i can do to persuade my manager this will be ok for the network?

also i have an windows 7 update SUG upto july 2016 i am deploying containing around 400 updates and would like to set deployment to force install/reboot after 14 days .. only issue is if i add a new client to the collection and it gets deployed it only allows the force restart on a specific date and not "two weeks from install". any way around this?

If this is across the LAN you won't have network issues at all. Clients checking for updates / hardware scans will send a few KB's to the management point - that's not going to cause network load issues.

For your remote office, setup a distribution point and have clients there look to the DP for their content, then they won't go across the WAN.

How have you managed to get 400 updates in just July 2016 alone?

With all due respect to your manager it sounds like she doesn't really know a lot about networks, nor how SCCM works.

my manager is worried about network load on pushing updates to clients machines and as such i would like to work out or monitor the network load on this server as she has bailed on this project being used for computers now.. so which application is best for the task so i can show evidence it will have no major issues with the network?

If setup correctly, even without a DP, this will use the same or less network bandwidth, than you do today with WSUS or worse yet to MS directly.

If this is across the LAN you won't have network issues at all. Clients checking for updates / hardware scans will send a few KB's to the management point - that's not going to cause network load issues.

For your remote office, setup a distribution point and have clients there look to the DP for their content, then they won't go across the WAN.

How have you managed to get 400 updates in just July 2016 alone?

With all due respect to your manager it sounds like she doesn't really know a lot about networks, nor how SCCM works.

i can agree with this statement, i have created a SUG with updates up to july 2016 so all update prior to this are in there. then made ADR to do monthly deployments.

what about when the machines are being deployed and updating? packages are pretty big but i guess i can schedule deployments to install/update overnight.

really appreciate your responses guys , thanks!

one last Q i cant remember where to find which account is being used to deploy software updates in the logs/SCCM , could you remind me where?

i can agree with this statement, i have created a SUG with updates up to july 2016 so all update prior to this are in there. then made ADR to do monthly deployments.

what about when the machines are being deployed and updating? packages are pretty big but i guess i can schedule deployments to install/update overnight.

really appreciate your responses guys , thanks!

one last Q i cant remember where to find which account is being used to deploy software updates in the logs/SCCM , could you remind me where?

Computers will only download the SU they need, not the whole SU packages. If BranchCache is enable they will download it from a local computer (assuming it exist).