anyweb

sample XP to Windows 7 task sequences

Question

hi all,

as this is a common requirement, here are two Task Sequences I use for demoing Windows XP migrations to Windows 7,

Related Reading:-

OSDMigrateAdditionalCaptureOptions on Technet

OSDMigrateAdditionalRestoreOptions on Technet

Before you can use these sample task sequences you must have done the following Steps.

Using Computer Association add a computer to your Deploy XP collection, and then Deploy Windows XP to that computer. Once Deployed with XP you can use Direct Membership to add that computer to the Migrate XP to 7 Collection described below.

XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using Hardlinking

The first task sequence XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using Hardlinking.xml will migrate XP to Windows 7 using hardlinking

XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using Hardlinking.xml

XP to Windows 7 Demo - X86 using SMP

The second one uses a SMP *State Migration Point*

XP to W7 Demo - X86 using SMP.xml

simply import these task sequences into ConfigMgr, and replace the missing package references (configmgr X86 boot images, microsoft deployment 2010 settings, mdt2010 files, windows 7 autologin enable package, usmt4 package and the Windows 7 X86 WIM file itself).

See below screenshots to help you with that

Task Sequence References with hardlinking

xp to w7 demo references w hardlinking.jpg

Task Sequence References with SMP

xp to w7 demo references w smp.jpg

and then advertise the task sequences to a migrate XP to Windows 7 collection

migrate collection.jpg

add computers to the Migrate XP to Windows 7 collection and kick off the appropriate TS via RAP.

I am trying to put a Task sequence together that saves the user data locally and migrates it in to Windows 7 from XP. I have been successful saving the data and creating a USMT folder with hardlink files in it. The problem is when the sequence continues the APPLY OS task does a "wiping" and I lose that folder. What are the ways I keep that folder intact for doing a load state later? Or, will the load state information pick up on what used to be there and pull it? Any help reguarding this would be great, I've been trying to figure this out in spare time for about 2 weeks now. Could someone please explain what takes place, and what it is I might be missing from the hardlinking example above.

I have a task setup with an (OSDStateStorePath)variable. The original value was %_SMSTSUserStatePath% I tried it with this value then I also tried changing it to c:\MigrateData. Again the folder is showing up before the operating system is applied, but is wiped out when windows 7 does its wiping of data on the drive the image is being placed on. From reading other issues on the Technet forums this is something that configmgr will always do. I'm wondering what the solution to this is, is there something the locks the folder and prevents it from being wiped, or is there some script or something that is moving this folder to the X:\ drive and back during the applicatin of the image. I've read as much as I can on the Technet forums as I can regaurding hardlinking and its still a bit of a mystery.

Well... its a pretty straight forward proces... when the OSDStateStorePath is being used it wil be untouched during a disk wipe.

For another Hardlink only example take a look here: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/post/ConfigMgr-2007-USMT-40-and-using-Hard-Links.aspx

For another Hardlink and Offline example take a look here: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/post/Capture-User-Files-and-Settings-Offline-(WinPE)-or-Online-(FullOS)-with-ConfigMgr-2007.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958808 says that you need to use a different location other then %_SMSTSUserStatePath%. I understand your saying that it is straight forward and that may be so, however, I'm still attempting to figure this out and only getting more confused because the example just doesn't seem to be working properly for me. I also read http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680631.aspx and this essentially says that _SMSTSUserStatePath is a variable of its own, is that true?

Operating System Image

1.Deletes all content on the target volume except files under the folder specified by the _SMSTSUserStatePath task sequence variable.

2.Extracts the contents of the specified .wim file to the specified destination partition.

3.Prepares the answer file:

A.Creates a new default Windows Setup answer file (sysprep.inf or unattend.xml) for the operating system that is being applied.

B.Merges any values from the user-supplied answer file.

4.Copies Windows boot loaders into the active partition.

5.Sets up the boot.ini or the Boot Configuration Database (BCD) to reference the newly installed operating system.

Correct _SMSTSUserStatePath is a variable on its own that has a standard value(s) during the Task Sequence.

If _SMSTSUserStatePath is not working for you, then you should create your own location. Just don't forget to create that location! This means you need two steps (instead of one):

1. Set State Store Location – Set Task Sequence Variable --> Example: %OSDStateStorePath% = C:\StateStore.

2. Create State Store Location – Run Command Line --> Example: cmd /c MKDIR %OSDStateStorePath%.

this is nice, I have successfully used the example in a hardlink scenario.

now I would like to test the SMP scenario, but I do not have MDT integrated.

is it possible to modify the sample XP to W7 using hardlinking so that it works entirely from SCCM (without the MDT scripts)?

or if someone would be so kind to share his/her example on this forum?