anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1902 on Windows Server 2019 with SQL Server 2017 - Part 5

Introduction

This multi-part guide will show you how to install the latest baseline version of Configuration Manager from Microsoft. The latest available baseline version is System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1902 as of April the 10th 2019. I blogged how to upgrade to 1902 here. This guide is aimed a new installations of SCCM. Baseline media is used to install new ConfigMgr sites or to upgrade from supported versions, for more information about baseline media please see my blog post here.

This series is broken down into the following parts:-

You can use this multi-part guide to get a hierarchy up and running on Windows Server 2019 using SQL Server 2017. The concept behind this is to guide you through all the steps necessary to get a working Configuration Manager Primary site installed (for lab use) using manual methods or automated using PowerShell. This gives you the power to automate the bits that you want to automate, while allowing you to manually do other tasks when needed. You decide which path to take. PowerShell knowledge is desired and dare I say required if you are in any way serious about Configuration Manager.

I will show you how to do most steps via two methods shown below, it's up to you to choose which method suits you best but I highly recommend automating everything that you can, using PowerShell.

•         Method #1 - Do it manually
  •         Method #2 - Automate it with PowerShell

Downloads

The scripts used in this part of the guide are available for download here. Unzip to C:\Scripts. The scripts are placed in the corresponding folder (Part 1, Part 2 etc) and sorted into which server you should run the script on (DC01 or CM01).

Scripts.zip

Step 1. Restart the Configuration Manager Primary Server

Note: Perform the following on the Configuration Manager server (CM01) as a Local Administrator

Open an administrative command prompt and issue the following command:

shutdown /r

shutdown command.png

This will restart the server, which is a good idea after having just installed SQL Server 2017.

restart server.png

Step 2. Install the WSUS role

Note: Perform the following on the Configuration Manager server (CM01) as a Local Administrator

Now that SQL server is installed (and the server is rebooted, you did reboot it didn't you ?), you can utilize that SQL Server installation for the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) database instead of the default WID (Windows Internal Database). To install WSUS and configure it to use the SQL server database instead of the Windows Internal Database, do as follows:

Method #1 - Do it manually

Using Roles and Features in Server Manager, add the Windows Server Update Services role.

add wsus role.png

When prompted to add features for the WSUS role, click on Add features.

wsus features.png

When prompted for the Role Services, remove WID Connectivity by unchecking that box, and add SQL Server Connectivity instead.

sql server connectivity.png

When prompted for Content location, enter a valid path

store updates.png

When prompted for Database Instance Selection, enter the server name and click on Check Connection

check connection.png

On the Confirm Installation Selections screen, click on Install.

install.png

and finally click Close. After installing the WSUS role, in Server Manager, click on the yellow exclamation mark and choose Launch Post Installation Tasks.

post configuration wsus.png

When the tasks are completed

post configuration done.png

The WSUS database (SUSDB) can now be observed using SQL Server SSMS.

SUSDB db.png

Method #2 - Automate it with PowerShell

Browse to the location where you extracted the scripts, C:\scripts. Start Windows PowerShell ISE as administrator, open the Install roles and features_WSUS.ps1 script, edit the $servername variable and replace CM01 with the ServerName your are installing ConfigMgr on (SQL server).

Note: Make sure to have your Windows Server 2019 media in the path referred to by $Sourcefiles.

1. Extract the scripts to C:\Scripts on CM01 and load the Install roles and features_WSUS.ps1 script located in C:\Scripts\Part 5\CM01

2. Edit the variables [lines 22-25] as desired before running.

3. Start Windows PowerShell ISE as Administrator and run the script by clicking on the green triangle.

install wsus with PowerShell.png

Step 3. Download and extract the ConfigMgr content

Before installing System Center Configuration Manager version 1902 you'll need to download the content as it is a baseline version. Normally you should download baseline versions of the ConfigMgr media from Microsoft's Volume licensing Service Center (VLSC) site for use in production or from MSDN (or the Microsoft Evaluation site) for use in a lab.

Note: The SCCM 1902 Current Branch media is not yet available on MSDN or VLSC. When the new baseline media is released I'll update this note. In the meantime you can download the baseline media ISO from the Microsoft evaluation site here. This will be the same media that will make it's way to MSDN and VLSC. Once downloaded, extract the media to C:\Source\SCCM1902.

extract the 1902 media.png

Step 4. Download the ConfigMgr Prerequisites

You can download the prerequisites during ConfigMgr setup or in advance. As you'll probably want to install more than one copy of ConfigMgr (one lab, one production) it's nice to have the prerequisites downloaded in advance.

Method #1 – Do it manually

To do that, open an administrative PowerShell command prompt and navigate to the following folder:

cd C:\Source\SCCM1902\smssetup\bin\X64

Run the following line

.\SetupDL.exe C:\Source\SCCMPrereqs

Note: You can find the CMTrace executable in the SMSSetup Tools folder in the location that you extracted the ConfigMgr media, eg:  C:\Source\SCCM1902\SMSSETUP\TOOLS.

maually downloading prereqs.png

Method #2 – Automate it with PowerShell

To automate the download of the prerequisites simply follow the instructions and run the Install SCCM.ps1 Powershell script in Step 4 or use the Download SCCM prerequisite files.ps1.

download prereqs with powershell.png

Step 5. Extend the Schema

Note: Perform the following on the Domain controller server (DC01) as Administrator. You do not have to extend the Active Directory schema if it was already extended for Configuration Manager previously.

To do that, on the Active Directory domain controller (DC01), open Windows File Explorer and browse to the network path of the ConfigMgr server where you've copied the SCCM source, eg:

\\cm01\c$\Source\SCCM1902\SMSSETUP\BIN\X64

In that folder, locate extadsch.exe and right click, choose Run as Administrator.

extend schema.png

After the schema has been extended for SCCM, you can open C:\ExtAdsch.log on the root of C:\ on the server you are performing this on, and review the success or failure of that action. 

successfully extended the schema.png

To automate extending the schema, use the Extend the Schema in AD.ps1 PowerShell script. Run the script on the CM01 server using credentials that have the ability to extend the schema. 

extending the schema with PowerShell.png

Step 6. Install SCCM Current Branch (version 1902)

Note: Perform the following on the ConfigMgr server (CM01) as Administrator. 

Note: Please restart the server before beginning the installation.

shutdown /r

After restarting the Configuration Manager server (CM01), open Windows File Explorer and browse to the network path of the ConfigMgr server where you've copied the SCCM source, eg:

C:\Source\SCCM1902\

In that folder, double click on splash.hta. The Installer appears, click on Install.

install 1902.png

At the Before You Begin screen click Next.

before you begin.png

In the Available Setup Options screen, place a checkbox in "Use typical Installation options for a stand alone primary site"

vailable setup options.png

When prompted if you want to continue click Yes.

yes to continue.png

On the Product Key screen enter your Key (or choose the eval option), and set the Software Assurance Date (optional), if you want to change from Eval to Licensed later see this post.

eval version.png

On the Product License Terms screen, select the 3 available options and click Next.

product license terms.png

On the Prerequisite Downloads screen, select the first option and specify C:\Source\SCCMPrereqs as the folder to download the prerequisite files. Click Next to start the download.

pre req downloads.png

On the Site and Installation Settings screen, enter your chosen site code (eg: P01), your site name and the path where you want to install ConfigMgr.

site and installation settings.png

On the Diagnostics and Usage data screen, click Next.

diagnostic and usage data.png

On the Service Connection Point Setup screen, enter your choices and click Next.

service connection point.png

On the Settings Summary, review your choices and when happy with them click Next.

summary.png

On the Prerequisite Check screen click Begin Install when ready or review any warnings/errors as appropriate.

Note: If you get an warning about TLS 1.2 see this blogpost and verify you've downloaded the latest version of my Install SQL Server 2017.ps1 PowerShell script dated 2019/4/28. If you also see a warning about the site server not being able to publish to the System Management container, you can safely ignore that as long as you did indeed delegate permissions and create the system management container. I think it's a bug and I'm getting verification from the Product Group.

prereqs check.png

The installation starts...

sccm 1902 installing.png

During the installation, click on View Log (opens C:\ConfigmgrSetup.log) to review the installation progress (Tip: associate logs file with CMTrace to review the installation details live)

cmtrace.png

and when the installation is done, click Close.

setup completed.png

shutdown /r

shutdown command.png

This will restart the server (which is a good idea as you might get red-herring messages about SQL server settings otherwise).

To automate the installation of SCCM 1902 (including all the previous steps above), simply run the Install SCCM.ps1 PowerShell script. Run the script on the CM01 server and when prompted to extend the schema, enter your choice (yes or no) and if you choose to extend the schema, provide suitable credentials when prompted (Domain Administrator will do). Once done with the schema extension, the installation will continue (as shown below).

Install SCCM 1902 with PowerShell from windows-noob.com.gif

and once installed you can launch the console.

sccm 1902 done.png

Success !

Please join me in Part 6 where you'll create some device collections for Windows 10 OSD and Windows As A Service.

sorry, me too, I will get it done and hopefully add a part 7 also, I'll try and resume it this weekend, just other things have taken priority.

• Like 1

Thanks for these guides!  I've "inherited" a ConfigMgr setup already in production, and I've built a lab before from Johan's Hydration Kit, but I wanted to got through building everything step-by-step to get an good grasp on everything that's going on.

• Like 1

I have one query on shutdown / restart the server.. While If I am executing all the scripts from part1 to last .. it that case script will wait for server to bring it up..Could you provide some hint on calling these one after others continuously ..  this would be helpful for automation