anyweb

how can I deploy Windows XP SP3 using SCCM 2007 SP1 - Part 2

can't you reimage it ?

I was in the process of capturing the original image when this happened. So it never uploaded the image. I believe SCCM wrote some type of temporary boot image for the purpose of PE booting. Any idea how to change it back to the Windows install boot partition?

I can reload the system it just took a long time to build this image up. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I think your only options is to try to repair it....

Besides that i tried to do a Capture Only this weekend and it worked like a charm. I created a Task Sequence without a Mandatory schedule so i had to start it from the Run Advertised Programs. For Windows 7 my Task Sequence had the following steps:

Join Workgroup
    Prepare ConfigMgr Client
    Prepare OS
    Capture the reference image

For Windows XP I use the same steps but as last step of my BUILD I use a step Install Deployment Tools to copy the Sysprep package (which is already by default on a Windows 7 CLient)

Besides that i tried to do a Capture Only this weekend and it worked like a charm. I created a Task Sequence without a Mandatory schedule so i had to start it from the Run Advertised Programs. For Windows 7 my Task Sequence had the following steps:

• Join Workgroup
    Prepare ConfigMgr Client
    Prepare OS

For Windows XP I use the same steps but as last step of my BUILD I use a step Install Deployment Tools to copy the Sysprep package (which is already by default on a Windows 7 CLient)

Cool, thanks for the steps. I will just rebuild the PC and give it another shot. The reason I'm so hesitant is the PC uses ahci and the drivers are giving me a hard time when I try to sysprep. However, I've been working on a sysprep file with the mass storage drivers this weekend. I will give it a shot again. I guess it was my fault for adding the boot into PE mode step in there. Thanks again for your help guys. It's hard to find SCCM communities on the net.

• Join Workgroup
    Prepare ConfigMgr Client
    Prepare OS

I have taken your advice and ran the steps listed.

Install Deployment tools

Join Workgroup

Prepare ConfigMgr Client

Prepare OS

It does the first two reboots then it gets to the third step which is prepare configmgr client. After about 30 minutes on this one step it fails with these logs.

Timed out waiting for ccmexec service to be fully operational PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to wait for Ccmexec service to be fully operational (0x80004005) PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed waiting for client agent service to initialize. Code 0x80004005 PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to prepare SMS Client for capture, hr=80004005 PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to run the action: Prepare ConfigMgr Client.

Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows) TSManager 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 1976 (0x07B8)[/color

Again any help would greatly be appreciated.

I have taken your advice and ran the steps listed.

Install Deployment tools

Join Workgroup

Prepare ConfigMgr Client

Prepare OS

It does the first two reboots then it gets to the third step which is prepare configmgr client. After about 30 minutes on this one step it fails with these logs.

Timed out waiting for ccmexec service to be fully operational PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to wait for Ccmexec service to be fully operational (0x80004005) PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed waiting for client agent service to initialize. Code 0x80004005 PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to prepare SMS Client for capture, hr=80004005 PrepareSMSClient 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 3828 (0x0EF4)

Failed to run the action: Prepare ConfigMgr Client.

Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows) TSManager 9/10/2009 12:41:35 PM 1976 (0x07B8)[/color

Again any help would greatly be appreciated.

Since my prepare configmgr client step is just timing out at this point what is the down side if I just skip this step before capturing my image?

Hello,

I have a strange problem.

I have just a x86 boot image installed in boot images and I did a task sequence to install a WIM image captured.

I boot the computer which will receipt the package.

The pxe boot begin and it find a x64 boot sequence and it waits for a answer from the server but of course nothing comes.

I don't understand how the computer can find a x64 boot sequence instead of mine ?

Could you help me?

the computer most likely has X64 support in it's cpu most do nowadays.,

the last task sequence advertised to this collection must have had a X64 boot image in it, can you confirm that ?

No it is strange it is old computer I never used the pxe boot.

It's like if it is in memory.

It worked this morning on another computer but the same model. What is strange is the computer was not in my collection, so it was not find the server !

Now it is on the good collection but it still looks for the x64 boot image.

An idea ?

Do you need some logs`?

I have a Dell OptiPlex 755 as my test device. When I try to use the PXE boot image, I get an error that iastor.sys is not correct or missing. I now this to be a Dell issue. When I try to add the driver tot he image, I get an error that states to refer to the logs. What log do I need and where do I find it OR how can I force this driver into the PXE image?

Jimm

Hy Any,

So I followed All steps,from the beginning until this point without getting any errors whatsoever. When I PXE-boot the client, it doesn't seem to be able to contact SCCM or the DHCP server.

WDS installed and running, DHCP up and running on the SCCM server (So I presume I don't have to configure any ports).

It's probably a simple setting somewhere but I can't seem to find info on that ... Or could you tell me what log-file I should be lokking at?

Thanks a lot!

There are some things you have to check and that maybe are not sccm related.

Check;

• if you have dhcp server active and giving correct ip adresses
  • your boundaries in sccm or else you can't pxe at all. they must correspond with your ip ranges in dhcp. there was also something with the ports. wds may have the same port than dhcp, can't remember for sure.
  • that you took the correct ethernet drivers for your machine in order that pxe can boot on it
  • is the windows deployment service started on your sccm server

These are the first thing I think of

I have a Dell OptiPlex 755 as my test device. When I try to use the PXE boot image, I get an error that iastor.sys is not correct or missing. I now this to be a Dell issue. When I try to add the driver tot he image, I get an error that states to refer to the logs. What log do I need and where do I find it OR how can I force this driver into the PXE image?

Jimm

In case anyone else goes through this.

Seems like Intel have updated the iaAHCI.inf and iaStor.inf files for both

the x86 and x64 drivers.

Downloaded Intel Matrix Storage Manager (version 8.9.0.1023)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2101

Extracted the file IATA89ENU.exe to a temp folder

IATA89ENU.exe -a -p c:\temp

x86 drivers end up in C:\temp\winall\Driver

x64 drivers end up in C:\temp\winall\Driver64

I removed the previous Intel storage drivers I had.

I then imported drivers using the path C:\temp\winall64 and checked "Import

drivers even if they are duplicates of and existing driver".

This gave me 2 iaAHCI and 2 iaStor drivers. Both correctly detected as x86

and x64.

I can now PXE load my pre-OS for capturing in SCCM

Jimm

There are some things you have to check and that maybe are not sccm related.

Check;

• if you have dhcp server active and giving correct ip adresses
  • your boundaries in sccm or else you can't pxe at all. they must correspond with your ip ranges in dhcp. there was also something with the ports. wds may have the same port than dhcp, can't remember for sure.
  • that you took the correct ethernet drivers for your machine in order that pxe can boot on it
  • is the windows deployment service started on your sccm server

These are the first thing I think of

Hi Kingskawn,

So if I understand correctly, SCCM will sysprep my XP-machine, instead of sysprepping it myself. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

* DHCP-server : up and running. The IP-range is defenitely within the boundaries. I've made 15 reservations for DHCP to use in case of a PXE-request. I do need to put the MAC-address of that machine in the DHCP-server as all our computers have fixed IP-addresses and some people here have a laptop that they take home. So those machines have an alternative IP-configuration, what makes that I need to put invalid MAC-Addresses for the 15 addresses I've reserved in DHCP, if not they'll get an IP-address from the DHCP...

I'll have to check the port-settings, but as I understood there is no configuration of ports needed if the DHCP server is on the same machine as the SCCM server...

*WDS started on the server

*Correct drivers for the xp-machine. The XP-machine is a functional XP Pro SP3 machine. It has all the drivers it needs to connect to our network (it is running in our network as we speek). So I presume that there is a correct NIC, right?

Cuz I need SCCM to capture this machine and sysprep it so I can deploy it afterwards. And eventually add some drivers so I can use this image on other HAL's.

Or if someone could point me to a log I should check?

(PS : FYI. In the past I used the same IP-addresses in DHCP for my WDS-Server, and there was no problem PXE-booting any client in our network. That's why I'm a bit lost here. I'm sure it will be something simple, a stupid setting or a mark I didn't put somewhere ...)

I hope it's a bit clear to you, English is not my native language, I do my best.

Thanks again!

You also installed WAIK I suppose if you installed the WDS service?

If you filled in all info in SCCM to create a machine then it will sysprep it for you. You can also choose to install a machine with a sysprep file that you create.

As for your problem, so when you advertise a task sequence (OSD) when you start the client computer it boots or it is still looking for an ip address or something else?

Is there a screen that you recognizes?;

pxeerror-thumb.jpg

9E0C885127A7422595EAB26F8531269A.jpg

Yes, WAIK is installed, and i filled all info in SCCM as in this guide.

It's a bit confusing, I try to capture an XP system, and at the end of part 1 it says to do steps 3 & 4, who are links to capture a Vista machine. But untill where do we have to take these steps? Untill part 5 of Deploying Vista??

As for the screenshots;

I don't get an address from my DHCP server, then it exits the PXE-boot saying : PXE E53: No Boot Name received ...

As for the port options for DHCP; I would like to check them but where do I find them?

Thanks

Hold yer Horses there!

I've just found out that I DO need to configure the WDS server, telling it not to listen to port 67 and use 60 as PXE .... I read that if the WDS-DHCP-SCCM are on the same machine one doesn't need to configure the WDS server ... go figure ... hehehe

So finally i got an answer from my machine!!

So now I've got a screen (like your middle screen) with a pending request ... So I presume that there is some sort of authentication issue somewhere ... If you could point that out to me, I would be gratefull!! In the mean time I'll google it.

Thanks again!

Yes the solution of the port was the thing I said before ;-) I couldn't give you the right link to it at that time but google can still help you

But now you have the question of a pending request. Did you make an advertisement of a task sequence? The capture sequence for instance?

If yes did you check "make this task sequence available to boot media and pxe" ?

To see the log go an look for a log called "SMSPXE.log" on the sccm server. Another source o finformation is technet; My link

Indeed, you told me about the ports. But it's a bit confusing ... nevermind, it's working, or that part at least ...

I did advertise the capture sequence, and checked the "make this task sequence available .....". I even deleted it and made a new advertisement, but to no avail. I'll check the log now, and let you know in a while ...

Thanks!

AAARRRRGHHH!!!

I removed WDS, PXE point role,re-installed as I documented (did so a few times, worked everytime), and now my WDS-server doesn't start anymore .... As Cypress Hill says : "I think I'm going crazy ....."

Could you please tell me what to check? And how do I "Clear the last PXE advert"?

Thanks for the help ...

Ok guys, I really need some help ...

So what I did: when I got the screen saying "pending for approval" I went to the WDS-server and tried to look in the folder "Pending Devices". At that point WDS stopped. I was able to restart it manually, so untill there no problem. When i wanted to check this folder again, again WDS stopped. I'm thinking there's a problem with WDS here.

So I tried removing PXE-Role, then WDS Server, rebooted the server itself, re-installed WDS, re-installed PXE role in SCCM and voila, With or without WDS configuration, it (WDS) doesn't start anymore .... I tried a couple of things I found around the net (I removed - installed PXE and WDS a dozen times),checked the register (as I found there, compared to what I found with Google the reg is correct), checked the event log and clicked further to the wonderfull MS KB, where it says that in order to solve the problem "Start WDS Services" HELLO MS!!! IT DOESNT START IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

Could someone PLEASE help me, which logs I should show you guys, some links, or whatever stuff that could help me... please ...

Thanks guys ...

I had that problem also in the past on 3 servers which couldn't start the WDS service anymore. Look on google for a command to configure WDS service with one command-line.

Did you installed your SCCM in mixed mode or native? Look out for correct certificates on your SCCM server.

You told that your task sequence is in pending but what are the last lines it shows you?

I had that problem also in the past on 3 servers which couldn't start the WDS service anymore. Look on google for a command to configure WDS service with one command-line.

Did you installed your SCCM in mixed mode or native? Look out for correct certificates on your SCCM server.

You told that your task sequence is in pending but what are the last lines it shows you?

Hi Kingskawn, thanks for putting up with me ...

As for everything I checked, SCCM is installed fine (mixed mode), I don't think that certificates are the problem.

I've also tried configuring WDS in command line "wdsutil /initialize-server ......" It just doesn't start, it even doesn't configure or initialize WDS from a command line.

But I just found something on the net looking for something else: error was 0x32, which is "not sufficient rights" ?? I didn't change a thing when re-installing WDS and the PXE-role point, so I don't have a clue why this error shows up.

Here's the quote :

"I scoured the web and couldn't find anything till I searched the error code 0x32 and found it was for insufficient rights.So I changed the WDS logon account to a domain admin's account and tried to run the wds service and it ran perfectly. I then changed it back to the normal system account and its all running perfectly again.

Hopefully this saves someone loads of time that I lost trying to fix a basic error

Gregg"

Ok, let's try that! But where the hull do i find or change the WDS-logon account (in fact, what IS the WDS-logon account)? I've put our domain admins, enterprise admins, sccm-server, smsread, smsadmin as Full Control on system management container in AD; gave full rights to the same users on my SCCM server (that includes SQL, WDS, DHCP). I don't know what more I can do ...

Thanks again for your help!!

Hello All,

Ok, i got my WDS running again ..... I was just about to re-install the whole server ...

Little recap :

errors where: 0x32, 0x41B,

Event 257: An error occurred trying to start the Windows Deployment Services server.

Event 258: An error occurred trying to start the Windows Deployment Services image server.

Event 266: An error occurred while to refreshing settings.

Event 513: An error occurred trying to initialize provider WDSImgSrv from C:\Windows\system32\WdsImgSrv.dll. Windows Deployment Services server will be shutdown.

Start of the problems:

Uninstalled WDS, removed PXE role from SCCM, (reboot), re-installed WDS, re-installed PXE --> unable to start WDS again ...

Solution that worked for me:

Remove PXE role

Uninstall WDS

Reboot

Removed my server from AD (put in in a workgroup)

Deleted my (SCCM) server-account from AD

Reboot

Then I ran CCleaner, deleted all program and Register issues

Reboot

Put the (SCCM) server back into our Domain

Install WDS

Install PXE role

Intialized WDS with command line which gave me the same error as before

Open Windows Deployment Services, Properties:

Respond to all (known and unknown)computers, delay 5 sec

Obtain IP from DHCP

Do not listen on port 67, Configure DHCP option to 60 'PXEClient'

Started the WDS service and off it goes!!!

I read that a lot of people have a problem with this, and i think it's a bug somewhere. I don't think it's a user-related problem.

I hope that people can use these steps I took to make it run again, and don't lose precious time as I did.

So now my client gets a DHCP-address again, but now I get Kingskawn 3rd screen (Windows failed to start).

Before fixing that, I'm going to take an ghost-image of my server so that if i have this or another problem I'll just need to put the image back.

Cheers!