WAZZIE

Home Lab Server Hardware Spec?

Question

Hi all / Anyweb,

Hope you are all well.

I am about to order some new hardware, pretty much a beefy desktop pc, which i am hoping to do some labs with.

Would this be any good for running simply labs, say with up to 5 vms running with server 2008 as the host ?

is the following any good for such a task:

i7-3770k

16gb memory

main hd ssd 128gb sata

2nd hdd 2tb sata

Any info or help appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

id bump up the main hdd to 240gb or more if possible, with configuration manager 2012 you'll fill that up in no time at all. trust me :)

and you'll want to have your CM12 labs on the SSD if possible as it's much faster than sata.

I found RAM to be quite a show stopper, so it might be worth upgrading to 32 Gig if you want to run other machines as well (the rest of SC2012,Sharepoint,....). The real bottleneck though is disk i/o so make sure to keep host and guest systems thoroughly seperated and use fast disks!

Phoenix156

I have a core I7 with 16gb of ram, a 240gb SSD drive as main drive (Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Core) and I store the VMs on a cluster store shared via iSCSI Target (also a Windows Server 2012 R2 iSCSI Target). It functions fine not had any problems with it. Been up and running for a month.

Hope this helps!