alaa_elmahdy

Hyper-V introduction

Question

Hi Every one,

In this article I'll show you how to install ,configure and install your first virtual machine in the New Technology driven by Microsoft Hyper-V.

Prerequisites:

You will need windows server 2008 64bit which means your processor must support 64 bit operating system "Intel XD bit or AMD NX bit and supports data

execution protection".

Most of us has dual core processor and doesn't know that it can easily support 64 bit but the most important thing when talking about virtualization is does

your processor supports virtualization or unfortunately not to .

You need to test your processor for virtualization support before you can start with this Article, to do this just follow up the next steps.

From Intel web site download and install Intel® Processor Identification Utility

test1.gif

test2.gif

test3.gif

test4.gif

test5.gif

test6.gif

test7.gif

test8.gif

test9.gif

test10.gif

test11.gif

If your results was like mine you are now ready to start with hyper-v

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

5.gif

6.gif

7.gif

8.gif

9.gif

10.gif

11.gif

12.gif

13.gif

14.gif

15.gif

16.gif

17.gif

18.gif

19.gif

20.gif

21.gif

22.gif

23.gif

24.gif

25.gif

26.gif

27.gif

28.gif

So do hyper-v have more in the box ?

Actually I'll not tell you all the features in this Article at last it still just ignition in your hyper-v start.

But I'll show you the most important feature which based on the Microsoft shadow copy service ,this Feature is virtual machine Snapshots.

Snapshot can easily understood as a full system capturing at a moment ,The very interesting thing that you can have a lot of snapshots and which the virtual

machine can be a windows clean installation in one of them and domain controller in other one and then it's exchange server at the last one.

You can navigate between these snapshots easily and faster than you can imagine

Now it's time to let you see this by example.

The next photo shows you how to centralize the snapshots location for the working virtual machine.

29.gif

Well, the example will base on two folders first will create folder1 then will take a snapshot for the virtual machine and then will create the folder2 and apply

the snapshot.

30.gif

31.gif

32.gif

33.gif

34.gif

35.gif

36.gif

37.gif

As you saw in this example the snapshot applied successfully and the folder2 deleted from the desktop ,This process takes 3 seconds which is traffic.

I'll let you think about the benefits you can get from a feature like this.

This technology is fully integrated with your windows networking and can be monitored through system center virtual machine manager.

image17.png

Wish that this was helpful for you all, thanks.

ok thanks,

next time try to remove those watermarks, i fully appreciate the time and effort you obviously put in to do this but no one needs the watermarks, we know you did it, and thats enough, i'll even link your site here ok ?

anyway, in my experience with HyperV recently I noticed that when I powered down a two month old virtual machine with many snapshots that it said 'merging 1%'....

and this is not documented anywhere that i could find,

long story short, let it merge, it will merge the snapshots and make your vhd a bigger file, if you want to make a backup copy of your vhd *like i did* then do this

* take a snapshot just before you power down the virtual machine.

* let the merge complete to 100%

* copy/backup the contents of your vhd folder to somewhere safe

cheers

anyweb

Thanks, for all.

very well information AnyWeb.

for the water mark forgive me that i had this guids before and i couldn't remove it.

i have another guid which will come up may be today and i'll spend the day removing the water mark :(:( .

wmmayms, think that, ok imagine that you put your 50 v.machine in one host then it fails what vmware will do for you.

but with hyber-v the integration with the windows clustering is very will done and you will not feel any change .

cheers.

Many thanks for the introduction. Great !! :rolleyes:

I played around using the VMWare in my XP box and initially, it was good but, sometimes, one or two virtual machines hang @95% and cannot connect. After the physical machine reboot, the vm can booted up.....

I may have a new job and going to review the infrastructure which I want to bring in the Server Virtualization. The environments contains around 10 server with some MS-SQL / Web server etc. Which one is better

1. Windows2008 Hyper-V

2. VMWare

3. others

Thanks in advance

I've ran the first part of the setup but when I go to install server and start the environment i get the following error.

error.jpg

I've followed these steps. I’ve went through BIOS and made sure that virtualization was enabled, it was. then I continued onto a Microsoft technet page and downloaded a 600+ meg file that then installed "windows driver kit", ran the process then saw that when I did bcdedit.exe that hypervisorlaunchtype was set at automatic. Then of course I made sure that all hyper-v services were started. But I still get the same error. I made sure that virtualization role / service was installed. I’ve ran scf /scannow to see if I have any errors but it found none. So I’m at a bit of a loss, normally setting up an environment takes 5 mins and then the install of server takes awhile.

Any suggestions? I’ve never ran into this error and I’ve been following all the steps and install stuffs and it keeps coming back with the same error. I’m about ready to nuke it and start from a new, so any suggestions before I take the final leap?

Thank you.

click on See Details, what does it say ?

full error.

full%2Berror.jpg

I've checked everything listed. I ran the Intel program to see if the processor was capable of virtualization, it is. Then I checked bios to see if virtualization was enabled, it is. Then I installed windows driver kit and did a bcedit and saw that hypervisor launch type was set to automatic.

So I'm stumped. It wouldn't be that big of a problem to wipe the server and reinstall everything, today being Friday before the Christmas weekend so I'm on my own time. The server is a Dell PowerEdge R710 with 32 gigs RAM, 2 Intel Xeon processors 4 cores each at 2.13 MHz, 12 terabytes on 6 HD's, on raid 1+0 all on one virtual drive.

The Intel Processor Identification Screencap.

intel%2Bshot.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the assistance.

and you definetly added the hyperv role to this server ?

Sorry for the late response I was out due to Christmas. Yes the role was installed. I've sensed nuked the server and reinstalled everything and Hyper-V is working fine. I honestly have no clue as to what happened. I might have missed something when installing the role the first time around.

Thank you for the support.

Make sure that "Virtualization" and Intel VT are enabled in your BIOS, this enables hardware assisted virtualization which Hyper-V requires (and even VMware actually)

Also check that the Hyper-V services start ok. (for others you get this error)