anyweb

using Multiple Task Sequences via PXE

Question

This tip will show you how to let your local I.T. guy see a Task Sequence menu after PXE booting the computer.

first of all create a new collection (in your Deploy collection) called MultiTask.

multitask.jpg

from your list of available Task Sequences that you have already made, choose one, and right click and select Advertise.

advertise_task_sequence1.jpg

advertise it to your Multitask collection, make sure PXE boot is enabled and choose next

advertise_to_multitask.jpg

make sure that you do not set any mandatory options (in other words, it is now voluntary) and click next

not_mandatory.jpg

set your distribution point settings

dp_settings.jpg

and leave interaction as default

interaction_settings.jpg

and click next until complete through security and summary.

repeat the above steps with at least one more Task Sequence, after this, you can verify that the task sequences are advertised to the MultiTask collection by looking at the collection properties and clicking on the Advertisements tab

multi_ts.jpg

Now using Computer Association, import a computer (or create a direct membership) into the MultiTask collection

new_system_to_collection.jpg

and pxe boot it, you should see the following

pressF12.jpg

do as it says and press F12

it will start loading Windows PE

peloading.jpg

If however, you see some of your Windows Deployment Services menus (like capture or deploy) then you will need to reconfigure the WDS server properties and set the PXE respone time to more than than PXE response time set in SCCM, and then restart the WDS service. If that doesn't help then verify that the computer you imported is not obsolete in SCCM.

windows_is_starting_up.jpg

followed by this, just click next, if you want it to prompt for a password then configure the PXE Service Point role with a password

click_next_to_continue.jpg

then you'll see your list of Task Sequences, select one and you are done !

list_of_task.jpg

Note: if you want the password and choice menu removed via a script then checkout this post

Hi anyweb

First of all .. your materials are awesome and it helped me through alot of things Great work!!

This is probably a dumb question but. after the image is installed into the machine a dialogue window pops up saying that there are some advertised programs that users can run (other OS installs) is there a settings that we can disable this from prompting the users?

cheers!

ej

If these progrmans are included in the task sequence,it should be installed along with the OS .Once the image is installed,the computer will be moved to default collection (all systems or windows XP systems) or to other collection.If the collection(installed computers is member of) has any other advertised progrms,it will be advertised on to the newly installed computer.This can be done by supprssing the adv.

Regards,

Eswar.

If these progrmans are included in the task sequence,it should be installed along with the OS .Once the image is installed,the computer will be moved to default collection (all systems or windows XP systems) or to other collection.If the collection(installed computers is member of) has any other advertised progrms,it will be advertised on to the newly installed computer.This can be done by supprssing the adv.

Regards,

Eswar.

Make sense! thanks Eswar

Hi

I have one specific error. i configured a 32 bit os in vmware server for windows 7 & want to deploy the same from sccm 2007 sp2.

site config: as a guest os of win server 2003, sccm sp2 with ads, dns, dhcp, wsus, wds.

Requirement: To deploy os from sccm to a baremetal systems.

created osd package, created task sequence, configured pxe server role & added the x86, x64 bit bootimage to SMSPXEIMAGE$ folder. (guidence by http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1182-deploy-windows-7-enterprise/).

my vmware client is trying to boot from network, dhcp leased the ip to the client. then the error is showing as:

"PXE-E55 Proxy DHCP Service did not reply to request on port 4011"

whether i should enable 4011 port? if, how to do that.or whatelse cause the issue. immdly it exiting from network boot & says "Operating System not found" error.

googled several threads but no result yet.

Thanks in advance

Hi

I have one specific error. i configured a 32 bit os in vmware server for windows 7 & want to deploy the same from sccm 2007 sp2.

site config: as a guest os of win server 2003, sccm sp2 with ads, dns, dhcp, wsus, wds.

Requirement: To deploy os from sccm to a baremetal systems.

created osd package, created task sequence, configured pxe server role & added the x86, x64 bit bootimage to SMSPXEIMAGE$ folder. (guidence by http://www.windows-n...s-7-enterprise/).

my vmware client is trying to boot from network, dhcp leased the ip to the client. then the error is showing as:

"PXE-E55 Proxy DHCP Service did not reply to request on port 4011"

whether i should enable 4011 port? if, how to do that.or whatelse cause the issue. immdly it exiting from network boot & says "Operating System not found" error.

googled several threads but no result yet.

Thanks in advance

Do you have your WDS server on the same subnet as your client?

Great tutorial!

Just one thing I would like to know: when I use mandatory advertisements, I can click on "Operating System Deployment" to see a status overview for the last run task sequences. With the voluntary advertisements, these information disappear quickly. Is there a possibility to show the status of the voluntary advertisements in this overview without getting those "There is a new advertisement"-infoboxes for the users?

Can this be done with the All Unknown Computers Collection? i ask this because I have to image bare PC's and would like to have this menu for them as well. I tried it but everytime i pxe boot and choose the image it fails on applying the image with the following error code...Task sequence failed with error code 0x80070002. Any idea's ? also the image fails so there is no smsts.log file to look at.

yes, no problem at all to advertise several task sequences to the All Unknown Computers collection and to use them like this

the error you are seeing (if it occurs during applying the wim image) is network related, is it dropping the IP address ? try a different switch/location