anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager version 1702 (Current Branch) on Windows Server 2016 with SQL 2016

if you want to host the SUP on the standalone server then you'll still need to install WSUS, otherwise if you host the SUP role elsewhere or if you don't intend to manage software updates you are ok

The software update point is required on the central administration site and on the primary sites in order to enable software updates compliance assessment and to deploy software updates to clients. The software update point is optional on secondary sites. The software update point site system role must be created on a server that has WSUS installed. The software update point interacts with the WSUS services to configure the software update settings and to request synchronization of software updates metadata. When you have a Configuration Manager hierarchy, install and configure the software update point on the central administration site first, then on child primary sites, and then optionally, on secondary sites. When you have a stand-alone primary site, not a central administration site, install and configure the software update point on the primary site first, and then optionally, on secondary sites. Some settings are only available when you configure the software update point on a top-level site. There are different options that you must consider depending on where you installed the software update point.

via > https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/sum/get-started/install-a-software-update-point

For some time I have been trying to install SCCM 2016 1702 on a Windows 2016 server.
Everything is well installed but I encounter a problem, during the reassembly of "site code" which is not done just as for the deployment of the client on the posts.

I first thought of a problem of administrator right, so I made a GPO to put the same local administrator account on all my posts. Account that has total rights on SCCM. But no change.
I tried cutting the firewalls, but still nothing. Same after checking my push configuration and discovery.

I tried to force the installation with a right click on a client but still nothing.

I attach you the log that I recovered.

Ps: I'm studying learning, it's for my diploma platform.

Thanks in advance

ccmsetup.log

I work under VMware Workstation

Edited by Esteban
detail

i had the same error :  Failed to send HTTP request. (Error at WinHttpSendRequest: 0x80072ee2)    ccmsetup    1/18/2018 2:59:24 PM    5776 (0x1690)
Next retry in 10 minute(s)...    

it really means a server time out. After further checking it turned out to be Endpoint (antivirus) installed on the host server. My SCCM server is also a VM.

Hi,

I solved my problem; to be exact 3.
The first was my DNS in the reverse lookup area my NS could not find the IP address of my server.
The second was my DHCP that was wrongly configured with my VLANs, my server VLAN was working properly and DHCP also but not the one for the client computers which prevented my DHCP client from functioning optimally.
The third problem came from my groups of limits, in "References" I forgot to add my Site System Servers.

I will come back to you if I encounter other problems for deployments but it should go normally.

Best regards,

Esteban

One question on the SQL Service Broker port.

Is it supposedly created by the SCCM installer or must we pre-create it?

I have pre-created it since SCCM installer doesn't seem to do it.

I am doing:

Service Broker with AlwaysOn Availability Groups (SQL Server)
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh710058(v=sql.110).aspx

Please let me know which is the proper way to go.

Alex

hi Alex

my guide does not cover SQL AlwaysOnAvailability, so if you need it please add it to the SQL installation PowerShell script and post your results here for others to use

cheers

niall

Hi Niall, thanks for the great guide, I have managed to complete all of the steps using the powershell scripts apart from the SCCM install, it fails at the same point, I checked the logs from the failed install and it say the same thing each time "setup has encountered fatal errors during database initialization. check the log for details. click the view log button for more information"

I have checked all of the permissions on the server and the SQL account permissions, have you come across this before?

what does the view log button show you, can you please zip up and attach the logs here ?

On 3/2/2018 at 9:26 AM, anyweb said:

what does the view log button show you, can you please zip up and attach the logs here ?

Hi Niall, logs attached. the first is an SQL alias error and the other an database creation error. Thanks.

Logs.zip

On 3/2/2018 at 9:26 AM, anyweb said:

Hi Niall, I did a complete reinstallation of everything again using your exact IP addresses, usernames, domain names and it all worked flawlessly! The only snag I hit was I had to install the SCCM under the niall renamed sql account as it kept giving a login failed when logged in as user CM01\Administrator . Thanks for a great guide, next stop deployment land.

• Haha 1

hi Coops

i'm happy it's working for you now, sorry i couldn't feedback on the logs but i'm at the Global MVP summit in Seattle right now so kinda busy

First off, Thank you so much for the install scripts.  This takes the doofus element out of the installation.  However, I do doofus really well.  I am trying to use the add user script and am getting the following errors.  I think I have edited the file in the appropriate locations to reflect my domain.  But something is a miss. 

About to add the following OU: drwho to this OUPath: DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
At C:\Scripts\Create Users  Usergroups and OUs in AD.ps1:15 char:13
+             New-ADOrganizationalUnit -Name $OUName -Path $OUPath
+             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=drwho,DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Managem 
   ent.Commands.NewADOrganizationalUnit

Adding child OU's...
About to add the following OU: Security Groups to this OUPath: OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=Security Gro...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADIdentityNotFoundException,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Managem 

About to add the following OU: Servers to this OUPath: OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=Servers,OU=d...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

About to add the following OU: Service Accounts to this OUPath: OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=Service Acco...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

About to add the following OU: Users to this OUPath: OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=Users,OU=dc-...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

About to add the following OU: Workstations to this OUPath: OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=Workstations...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

Adding more child OU's...
About to add the following OU: SCCM to this OUPath: OU=Service Accounts, OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=SCCM,OU=Serv...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

About to add the following OU: MDT to this OUPath: OU=Service Accounts, OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=MDT,OU=Servi...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

About to add the following OU: MBAM to this OUPath: OU=Service Accounts, OU=dc-01, DC=dc-01,DC=drwho,DC=localNew-ADOrganizationalUnit : Directory object not found
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (OU=MBAM,OU=Serv...=drwho,DC=local:String) [New-ADOrganizationalUnit], ADIdentityNotFoundException

Thank you so much for this. It has really helped speed the process up.

Question: I get the error below when running the script to install SCCM Branch version 1702

I get "Failed to create SQL Alias on the server". 

I thought I changed all the settings correct but apparently I have not. Can you tell me what I've done incorrectly? Below is what I edited in the script

$Action="InstallPrimarySite"
$ProductID="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx" [x's are replaced with actual key]
$SiteCode="LAR"
$Sitename="Test Primary Site"
$SMSInstallDir="D:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager"
$SDKServer="mysccm2016.local"
$RoleCommunicationProtocol="HTTPorHTTPS"
$ClientsUsePKICertificate="0"
$PrerequisiteComp="1"
$PrerequisitePath="D:\Downloads"
$ManagementPoint="mysccm2016.local"
$ManagementPointProtocol="HTTP"
$DistributionPoint="mysccm2016.local"
$DistributionPointProtocol="HTTP"
$DistributionPointInstallIIS="0"
$AdminConsole="1"
$JoinCEIP="0"
$SQLServerName="MySCCM2016.MY2016DC.LOCAL"
$DatabaseName="CM_LAR"
$SQLSSBPort="4022"
$CloudConnector="1"
$CloudConnectorServer="mysccm2016.local"
$UseProxy="0"
$ProxyName=""
$ProxyPort=""
$SysCenterId=""

is this correct ? $SQLServerName="MySCCM2016.MY2016DC.LOCAL"  and does the configmgr server have machine rights on that server, why are you not installing SQL on the configmgr server ? having it remote is generally a bad idea

ok so why the differences here if they are all on the same server, the FQDN's don't look right

$SDKServer="mysccm2016.local"
$PrerequisiteComp="1"
$ManagementPoint="mysccm2016.local"
$DistributionPoint="mysccm2016.local"
$AdminConsole="1"
$JoinCEIP="0"

so in your example, i think you should change all those above to "MySCCM2016.MY2016DC.LOCAL" and try again

you are absolutely right. I changed (thanks to your last comment) that about 2 minutes before receiving this update and it appears to be working now. 

$SDKServer="MySCCM2016.MY2016DC.LOCAL"
$PrerequisiteComp="1"
$ManagementPoint="MySCCM2016.MY2016DC.LOCAL"
$DistributionPoint="MySCCM2016.MY2016DC.LOCAL"
$AdminConsole="1"
$JoinCEIP="0"

Thank you SO much for all this information. It has been very useful. After it completes, I will do it all over again just for fun. Again, I thank you.

no worries

by the way i've a new version of this guide below, part 3 coming soon

• How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 1
  • How can I install System Center Configuration Manager (Current Branch) version 1802 on Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2017 – Part 2

you know your spoiling us :D

You have no idea how much this is appreciated. I am working on my SCCM certification and I used your documents in the past to create an SCCM 2007 environment and it worked well. I used other docs for my SCCM 1710 build (on Server 2008r2 and Server 2012). Even though the docs work, they were not laid out as organized as this (and they skipped some steps) and never provided scripts to auto build. With your process, I can build and rebuild (manual and automatically) so I can learn better. Again, I thank you very very much 

• Haha 1

Great post period! I have a question and feel here is where it will be solved. Having trawled the net for 3 days - I need an answer to a question...

Prereqs for install state create Systems Management Folder etc. What happens when you have existing CM2007 install in situ and you want to install a clean version of Microsoft System Center 2016 on Windows 2016 Installation – Primary Site Server. What happens to the existing systems management folder when cm 2016 setup is finally run?  I am already planning on different site-code and VLAN to separate for a test. But concerned about systems management folder aspects

Great post period! I have a question and feel here is where it will be solved. Having trawled the net for 3 days - I need an answer to a question...  Prereqs for install state create Systems Management Folder etc. What happens when you have existing CM2007 install in situ and you want to install a clean version of Microsoft System Center 2016 on Windows 2016 Installation – Primary Site Server. What happens to the existing systems management folder when cm 2016 setup is finally run?  I am already planning on different site-code and VLAN to separate for a test. But concerned about systems management folder aspects