anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager version 1702 (Current Branch) on Windows Server 2016 with SQL 2016

On 5/5/2017 at 8:10 AM, Jeff May-Stahl said:

Hi Niall,

I have a quick question. We have been using SCCM 2012 for years. I did not set it up originally and am not happy with some of the decisions that were made so I am "upgrading" to 1702, Server 16, SQL 16 but am setting it up from scratch rather than doing a true upgrade. My question would be do I still need to do the Active Directory steps or is that already done from 2012? I guess what I am really asking is, is there anything I should watch out for when spinning up a new server with new a sccm installation and using it in an environment that already had 2012 running?

Hi Jeff, 

I'm in a similar situation where I just joined a new company and have to upgrade the existing 2012 RTM environment and I'm thinking it's going to be easier to set up a new 1702 installation from scratch rather than upgrading multiple times. Did you run into any issues standing up a new instance of SCCM with an existing, like using the same System Management container, etc? Or anyone else who may have been through this/have knowledge to share on the process?

Thanks!

It is not the most user friendly system to upgrade/move, but a possible. PXE (if you use it) will be a problem, as the scope will be most likely the same for both

Migration works well, but workstation object when migrated looses MAC/GUID (hence is as good as NONE - I do NOT use unknown computers and never will!), so they must be re-created (not much of an issue really)

Applications/Packages/drivers must have source path corrected (unless you are using the same) - again easy with a script to do it en masse

Then everything need to be redistributed (unless you do it during migration, I did not even want to think about it)

Site change on existing clients does not work well (but a possible with a cheat - you can search for my post on MS forums)

So a lot of work, all in all.

Sombody can have different experiences, and if they better than mine, then well done to them!

When I get to the SQL 2016 installation step, using the script you provided (modifed for my environment, of course), I get an error in a pop-up dialog box:

An unknown command-line option [/CONFIGURATIONFILE=C:\Scripts\ConfigurationFile.ini] was specified.

I've tried several things but can't seem to get past this. Thoughts?

Step 9. SQL Memory Configuration  

The script referenced in this step.  I've installed SQL now I want to configure the memory.

Oops, my apologies,  Looks like I had an older version of the Scripts.zip file.   I noticed it when I went to install the SCCM and the script was named for 1607.

WD

Edited by Witchdoctor
New information