anyweb

How can I install System Center Configuration Manager version 1702 (Current Branch) on Windows Server 2016 with SQL 2016

Dear Niall,

Great admirer of yours, All my SCCM knowledge credit goes to you.

I want to understand, If I am going through the manual installation approach for my LAB(SCCM 1702, domain controller server 2016 and sql server 2016 sp1) do I need to Enable Named Pipes and TCP/IP in SQL server protocols the same way you taught us in the sql 2008 for configuration manager 2012, Also Do I need to change the Status from Disabled (default) to Enabled for both the Servers local ip and localhost values in SQl server.

Edited by Maninder
more detail
  • Haha 1

hi, thanks for the kind words,

" To support Kerberos authentication, the TCP/IP network communication protocol must be enabled for the network connection of each SQL Server cluster node. Named pipes is not required, but can be used to troubleshoot Kerberos authentication issues. The network protocol settings are configured in SQL Server Configuration Manager, under SQL Server Network Configuration. "

via

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/deploy/configure/use-a-sql-server-cluster-for-the-site-database

hope that helps, from

cheers

niall

On 6/1/2017 at 9:08 PM, SCCM N00B said:

Great article so far. I'm just going through the steps to become familiar with the process and to build a lab environment once I have the process down.

I'm using the script to install SQL Server 2016 and it seemed to ignore my desired location that I configured in your script. It installed to C:\Program Files instead of D:\Program Files. Once the SQL installation was executed in the PowerShell ISE, the install time using the script was about 15 minutes.

Same problem here. Any ideas? There is a "install sql 2016.txt" file in the scripts directory that has "/INSTANCEDIR="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server" in it. So I assume this is where its getting C: from, but I cannot see any reference to it in the .ps1 file...... wierd. Going to do a manual install for now as it seems SQL didnt install correctly anyway. I only have SQL Client Connectivity SDK install when i try to uninstall. And it wont let me uninstall it which is rather annoying.

Edited by Ewan Monro

no the txt file is only there for reference it is not used.

if you share your edits to the SQL powershell script, then I can see what is going on...

Dear Nial,

I am encountering two issues.

1. Software center doesn't shows up in my DC server 2016. Apart from DC it was installed on CM1 and two VM's  win7, Win10 without any issue.

2. WSUS is unable to sync with Microsoft updates. Want to confirm shall I be using port 80 and 443 or 8530 and 8531. What could be the possible reason causing this.

Attaching few logs.

MS

ccmsetup.log

ccmsetup-ccmeval.log

client.msi.log

WCM.log

WSUSCtrl.log

wsyncmgr.log

did you configure WSUS in any way ? I do not cover configuring WSUS in this guide, and I do not cover Client deployment in this guide. You can find those topics and more here.

Hi awesome posts as each and everyone one of yours are. :)

I am looking at upgrading mu current Server 2012 R2, SQL 2012, CM 2012 1702 environment to Server and SQL 2016. I am looking at installing a complete new server with and setting everything up from scratch.

I know with my Applications/Packages/Drivers/TS's, etc, they will need to be redistributed. Will my clients need to be re-discovered and agents re-installed. I will use the same site code, but different server name and IP. 

• Thanks 1