Tof006

SCCM 2012 R2 - Refresh scenario from Windows 7 to Windows 7

Question

Hi all,

I'm trying to do a refresh (in-place upgrade) of a Windows 7 to a Windows 7.

My problem is that it assigns a C letter to the BDEDrive and a D letter to the system drive.

I've overcome this problem using a Diskpart /s xxx.txt that removes the letter assigned to Disk 0 Vol 1 and assigns the C letter to Disk 0 vol 2.

My problem is that my USMT data in StateStore directory are wiped along with the C drive....

Secondly, when the computer is finally upgraded, it affects a D letter to BDEDrive.

Has anyone been successful in performing an MDT TS that performs an in-place update of a computer from Windows 7 to Windows 7 with USMT and Hardlinks ?

Thanks for your help

Not sure if this will help or not but try adding a step in your MDT TS which sets the OSDPreserverDriveLetter to True and a step directly after this which sets the OSDisk variable to c:

I have uploaded some screen shots of where I have these steps in my MDT TS. I am running this TS to refresh XP to Win 7 so I'm not sure if having these steps will resolve your problem.

post-23799-0-82753500-1392333614_thumb.jpg

post-23799-0-66200700-1392333617_thumb.jpg

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try this today.

At the moment, in my current TS, the OSDPreserveDriveLetter is set to False and I'm using it to refresh from XP to 7 without any letter problem.

According to my readings, OSDPreserveDriveLetter was mainly meant to not set the letter D when deploying a WIM (Letter that MS is using by default in the original WIM).

But I'll test and let you know the result.

Thanks

EDIT : I've just tested your suggestion and it doesn't work... :(

Thanks anyway

are you using MDT only or Configuration Manager with MDT integrated ? if the latter then have you seen this yet, it does refresh scenario no problem.

Hi I am trying to do a simple refresh from windows 7 to windows 7. Is there a simple guide for this? I want to be able to run it from PXE boot and reimage computers as well as preserve and restore the files. Any ideas? Thanks

see the link i posted above, there's no simple way to do a refresh as it involves capturing users data either locally (hardlinking) or using a remote store (state migration point) before wiping the hard disc and installing the OS then restoring the data.

see the link i posted above, there's no simple way to do a refresh as it involves capturing users data either locally (hardlinking) or using a remote store (state migration point) before wiping the hard disc and installing the OS then restoring the data.

Hello,

I have a state migration point and have been using it to go from Computer A to Computer B but I cannot get it to go from Computer A back to Computer A after reimaging. I am using System Centers TS to do this. See picture: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2j3la21&s=8#.U_tUHvmwLYg

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Hello, I'm finally back at this. I do not see a scanstate.log or loadstate.log? When I run the TS it goes through the process of backing up the files like it would if I was going from computer A to computer B. Somehow when I try to go from computer A to computer A it never tries to load the files that it backed up after imaging. Does someone have a TS of what this looks like? I just want to be able to "refresh" a windows 7 computer. My preference would be to backup to a network location and restore from a network location only because local migration has not proved to work everytime. Any help would be great.

Thanks

SCCM 2012R2