Welcome to windows-noob.com!
If you came here looking for the Microsoft Intune or SCCM Guides then please check the links below or use the links on the side-bar to the right of your screen.
Register for free and ask your question in our forums.
Join the windows-noob community to share your Windows experiences and knowledge!
If you logon to MSDN
or the Microsoft Volume License websites (not availble there yet, is due November 16th according to this post on Technet) you'll see some new downloads available for Windows 10, namely:
- Windows 10 (Multiple Editions), Version 1511 New!
- Windows 10 Education, Version 1511 New!
- Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1511 New!
- Windows 10 Features on Demand, Version 1511 New!
These downloads are for the Threshold 2 release of Windows 10, now called Version 1511 (using the following convention YY//MM). Full details about what these new releases contain are listed in the blog post from Terry Myerson here.
You'll notice that the LTSB media isn't updated, and that's what you'd expect for the Long Term Servicing Branch.
Note: You may need to install this update on your WSUS or SUP infrastructure to see the upgrade category. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095113
Corporate domain joined pc's can be Current Branch or Current Branch for Business depending on how you want them to 'update' and how often, see this post for details https://technet.micr...6(v=vs.85).aspx
If you have defer upgrades selected in Windows update advanced options, then your pc's are using CBB (current branch for business) with an approx 4 month gap after today's release in terms of needing to upgrade.
Defer receiving feature upgrades for a period of approximately four months after Microsoft makes them available publicly, to provide IT administrators with time to perform pre-deployment testing and provide feature upgrades releases with additional time-in-market to mature. For more information, see Deferred feature upgrade installation with Current Branch for Business (CBB) servicing.
If you attempt to update Windows Home, Pro or Enterprise via Windows Update today you'll see the update as long as you are on Current Branch (CB)
Can I deploy this via ConfigMgr ?
This update with the new classification “Upgrade” can be sync’d down from WSUS after the hotfix is applied (linked above) if the Upgrade classification is checked explicitly. However, only ConfigMgr vNext clients can complete the end to end installation successfully since this Windows 10 Upgrade is in a different format and requires special handling on the client side. Without ConfigMgr vNext, the install will fail.
Using an OSD Upgrade Task Sequence is still the recommended way to upgrade to Windows 10 via the current versions of ConfigMgr (excluding ConfigMgr vNext) as these versions actually do not support Windows 10 upgrade via Software Update Management.
2,193 Views · 7 Replies ( Last reply by CrazyLinnet )
here's a list of known issues that can impact users:
- After upgrading from one Windows 10 Insider Preview build to another Insider Preview build, Skype messages and contacts will disappear from the Messaging + Skype app. You can get Skype messages and contacts back by navigating to “C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Messaging_
8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache” in File Explorer and deleting or renaming the “PrivateTransportId” file. After deleting or renaming that file, go to the Skype video app and sign out of Skype and sign back in.
- The Insider Hub might be gone after upgrading to this build. You can get Insider Hub back by going to Settings > System > Apps & features and clicking “Mange optional features”, choosing “Add a feature” and selecting Insider Hub.
Fixed in this release:
- The issue where any audio playing (like music from Groove, or videos from the Movies & TV app) gets reduced by 75% for a period of time after a notification pops up from Action Center is fixed.
- Pressing the power button on your Surface Pro 3 should put your Surface Pro 3 to sleep instead of shutting it down.
- We fixed an issue reported by Windows Insiders where a disksnapshot.exe command prompt window would flash randomly.
- Windows should now remember your previous login type. For example, if you log in with a PIN – it will prompt you for a PIN next time instead of another type.
- We fixed an issue where Tab previews in Microsoft Edge were appearing as black if the page was not scrolled to the top, and web note clippings were also appearing as black.
- Small form-factor devices, like the Dell Venue 8 Pro, that boot with rotation or virtual mode screen size set larger than the physical screen size should no longer experience a bluescreen on upgrade.
- Apps and games should download from the Store more reliably.
here's the blog
if you noticed the internet getting slowed down yesterday ;-) it might be due to the fact that you are a Windows Insider and that your computer is downloading the latest Threshold build (called Threshold 2, this build is likely to be at or near the build level for TH2 released as CB sometime in November).
Here are some things we have fixed:
- We fixed the issue where the Xbox app for Windows 10 would consume gigabytes of memory on your PC if you have any Win32 games (non -Windows Store games) installed on your PC that have been identified as games or added by you in the Xbox app.
- We introduced an early preview of nested virtualization so that people could run Hyper-V Containers in Hyper-V virtual machines with Build 10565. This build includes performance improvements.
- We’ve been addressing a lot of feedback around localization text UI in various languages and you’ll see a lot of that work in this build.
- The search box should now work in this build if you are in a locale where Cortana is not available.
- To continue receiving missed call notifications and send texts from Cortana, you will need to be on this build and higher. We’ve made a change that improves this experience that requires newer builds.
- When notifications pop up from Action Center, any audio playing (like music from Groove, or videos from the Movies & TV app) gets reduced by 75% for a period of time.
- After upgrading to this build, all your Skype messages and contacts are gone in the Messaging app. The workaround for this is to navigate to this folder in File Explorer:
- Delete or rename the “PrivateTransportId” file.
- Then restart the Messaging app.
- Small form-factor devices, like the Dell Venue 8 Pro, that boot with rotation or virtual mode screen size set larger than the physical screen size will experience a bluescreen on upgrade and will roll back to the previous build.
- After upgrading to this build, the power button on your Surface Pro 3 may no longer put your Surface Pro 3 to sleep and instead shut down.
- WebM and VP9 have been temporarily removed from builds. We continue to develop a VP9 implementation that we intend to ship in Windows. Expect VP9 to return soon in a future build.
We hope you get a chance to try out these new features and let us know what you think. As always, send us problem reports and suggestions using the Windows Feedback app.
for details about what's new see the official blog post from Microsoft here
this is a significant release as it's the first threshold release since.... Windows 10 was released (build 10240 was threshold 1).
this is also the last release of Windows 10 to be supported via Configuration Manager 2012 R2 SP1 in terms of installation/upgrade
567 Views · 1 Replies ( Last reply by anyweb )
Skype messaging, calling and video experience: As we’ve announced previously, Skype messaging, calling and video capabilities will come integrated into Windows 10 through the Messaging, Phone and Skype video universal Windows apps. These Windows applications enable quick and easy, free calling and messaging to other Skype users across phones, over 3G/4G and Wi-Fi tablets and to PCs Wi-Fi. With this build, you can preview the integrated capabilities on your PC while an upcoming Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview build will have these integrated capabilities for you to preview soon on mobile devices. Try things like Quick Reply from Action Center where incoming notifications will come in with the option to reply inline without opening the application. This is an early preview and you can expect some bugs, and more features to come as we deliver monthly updates.
Tab Preview in Microsoft Edge: In Microsoft Edge, you can now hover over your open tabs and get a preview of what’s on those websites. Check it out and let us know what you think.
Syncing Favorites and Reading list items in Microsoft Edge: In this build, you’ll see a first look at the new syncing feature in Microsoft Edge that lets you sync your Favorites and Reading list items. We are still working on refining it, but definitely check it out and let us know what you think.
Cortana improvements: Cortana is able to intelligently understand your inked notes – setting reminders based on locations, times and numbers that she can understand from your digital annotations.
read the rest > http://blogs.windows...ew-build-10565/
Microsoft's Live Stream of the Microsoft Windows 10 Devices event will be available at the following location.
this event will most likely be used to unveil a whole bunch of exciting new hardware like the Microsoft Surface Pro 4
The starting times are listed below, stay tuned !
San Francisco: 7:00AM / New York: 10:00AM / London: 3:00PM / Berlin 4:00PM / Moscow: 6:00PM / Beijing: 10:00PM / Tokyo: 11:00PM / Sydney 12:00AM (October 7th)
Some photos of the live event are shown below:
Microsoft To Ship HoloLens Development Kits For $3000 In First Quarter Of 2016
Introducing the Band 2
and the Lumia 950
and finally.......... 12.3 inches in diagonal, 1TB storage, 16GB RAM, wow, the Surface Pro 4
oh and then there's the Surface Book !
You can review the video again by clicking on the link above or read the blog below
and you can pre-order the devices from the Microsoft Store here
- • Today's Active Topics
- • Microsoft Intune Guides
- • SCCM 2012 Guides
- • SCCM 2007 Guides
- • SMS 2003 Guides
- • MDT 2013
- • SCOM 2012 Guides
- • SCOM 2007 Guides
- • Exchange 2013 Guides
- • Webcasts
- • KMS Guides
- • Windows Server 2012
- • Windows Server 2008
- • WDS Guides
- • Windows SIM Guides
- • RIS Guides
- • Forums
- • windows-noob T-shirts
- • niallbrady.com
- • Follow us on Twitter
- • Frontends and WebServices
RBA Remote Access no device Affinity
jvmorrell - Today, 11:04 AM
Fix for The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relation
vasconcelos - Today, 08:54 AM
GPO Desktop Wallpaer
Giorgi Zaliantsi - Yesterday, 07:57 PM
Bandwidth between Deployment Point and client.
fsoares - Yesterday, 07:14 PM
SCCM 2012 R2 application creation issue- resulting files are > 7GB
bbrashear - Yesterday, 03:41 PM
How to configure HP laptops wifi settings via SCCM?
JuhaK - Yesterday, 07:58 AM
Install Roles and Features - DesktopExperience
g-fx - Yesterday, 02:21 AM
Software Metering Auto Uninstall & Remove from Install Collection
Spinner - Yesterday, 12:44 AM
Software updates reboot
CrazyLinnet - Nov 23 2015 07:29 PM
Windows 10 Language pack, features, speech...
nodiaque - Nov 20 2015 01:25 PM
System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Survival Guide
Microsoft Technet Forums
Configuration Manager Documentation Library
MSDN System Center Configuration Manager SDK
The Deployment guys
SCCM Troubleshooting and Support
Michael Petersens Blog
Configuration Manager Support Team Blog
Google, Bing, Yahoo, core, Pelegit, spgsitsupport, t21drl, mivo