anyweb

using Offline Mode in Windows PE using USMT 4 via a task sequence in SCCM 2007 SP2

no the package is created by you, it's not a package from definition, we call it 'microsoft scanstate' but it could be called anything you want (like windows-noob scanstate)

we create this package by simply pointing to a folder that contains the runscanstate.bat file, nothing more !

no the package is created by you, it's not a package from definition, we call it 'microsoft scanstate' but it could be called anything you want (like windows-noob scanstate)

we create this package by simply pointing to a folder that contains the runscanstate.bat file, nothing more !

Thanks for the tip! that makes perfect sense.

We are going to be wiping the drives and doing a clean install of Windows 7 (used to be XP). Can you set the OSDStateStorePath to a UNC path? (ex: \\server\share). Along this same vein is there a switch that can automatically name each migration the computer name in windows of the system that is upgraded? Since we are loading a bunch of migrations on a server share we would need to ascertain which migration is which. Thanks for any help that comes in :)

Why would you want to save it on a servershare??

The idea of hardlinks is that you store the links to the file locally, then wipe the drive (which save the hard-links) and then reinstall.

Why would you want to save it on a servershare??

The idea of hardlinks is that you store the links to the file locally, then wipe the drive (which save the hard-links) and then reinstall.

Eventually we are also going to use in the scenario of a computer replacement and in that situation I don't believe hard links will work.

Correct, in the case of a computer replacement you should use a State Migration Point (this is a standard possibility in a Task Sequence with Capturing User State).

So with the Current Offline Load USMT4 task sequence as outlined in this article is there a way to define a variable for the SMP (example: \\server\share. If there is what variable and what value syntax should I use?

Hi there,

i copied the Tasksequence from your website and got the following error in the attached file.

Does any<body have an idea where in the sccm i can change the path?

Thanks for help.

Best regards.

Unbenannt.bmp

Hi there,

i copied the Tasksequence from your website and got the following error in the attached file.

Does any<body have an idea where in the sccm i can change the path?

Thanks for help.

Best regards.

How did you create the WIM file file ? is it from the DVD media or from WAIK Tool ? you should create standard WinPE boot file found in WAIK

Can you take a look at the WIM file registry and see if it pointing to "InstRoot"="X:\\$Windows.~BT\\"

Here is the Reg Key path :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\pe_software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinPE]

"PrepStatus"=dword:00000001

If so change it to "InstRoot"="X:\

How did you create the WIM file file ? is it from the DVD media or from WAIK Tool ? you should create standard WinPE boot file found in WAIK

Can you take a look at the WIM file registry and see if it pointing to "InstRoot"="X:\\$Windows.~BT\\"

Here is the Reg Key path :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\pe_software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinPE]

"PrepStatus"=dword:00000001

If so change it to "InstRoot"="X:\

Thanks for help, now it works with the boot image.

Now i have another problem. All works fine while the backup and so on.

At the end of the task sequence, when the restoring starts, i see shortly "Restoring files" but only for 2 or 3 seconds. So the profiles doesnt present in the users folder.

But on my C-drive i have the backupfolder from the old profiles in the path "C:\USMTOffline\USMT\File\C$\Dokumente und Einstellungen" i saw all the old profiles. Could be the problem that i create the wrong package which named "USMT both"?

I set the path directly to the USMT-Folder. So when i open this path i saw the x86 and the x64 folder.

Is that correct? Or must this path show into the x86-folder?

Best Regards

Rudi

Thanks for help, now it works with the boot image.

Now i have another problem. All works fine while the backup and so on.

At the end of the task sequence, when the restoring starts, i see shortly "Restoring files" but only for 2 or 3 seconds. So the profiles doesnt present in the users folder.

But on my C-drive i have the backupfolder from the old profiles in the path "C:\USMTOffline\USMT\File\C$\Dokumente und Einstellungen" i saw all the old profiles. Could be the problem that i create the wrong package which named "USMT both"?

I set the path directly to the USMT-Folder. So when i open this path i saw the x86 and the x64 folder.

Is that correct? Or must this path show into the x86-folder?

Best Regards

Rudi

There are 2 packages which are used in this process one is USMT x86 and other is USMT Which contains x86 and x64(amd64).For more info on how to use USMT packages look at this .Time takes on the restoration task depends on the user's data. Is the computer joined to Domain ? also can you look into smsts.log what it says ?

The avilable task sequence works on 64Bit OS but it requires some changes to be done in package creation and Task seqeunce edit.

Below is the task seqeunce which you can download and edit from TS and here are steps while making modifications.

WinXP to Win7 x64 Migration in WinPE.xml

There are 2 packages which are used in this process one is USMT x86 and other is USMT Which contains x86 and x64(amd64).For more info on how to use USMT packages look at this .Time takes on the restoration task depends on the user's data. Is the computer joined to Domain ? also can you look into smsts.log what it says ?

Hi,

i looked at my logfiles, the smsts.log give me the information that i have to look in the usmt log file in the path C:\_SMSTasksequence\...

But on my c-drive there is not such a path. I will attach a patrt of the smsts.log which shows the error.

The error says that there is not enough space, but when i have a look on my my Win7 client, there are 117 GB free. The Win7 client is on Hyper V, could that be the problem?

Another question, i have a german image but the keybord is still english. Where can i change it to a german keybord?

Sorry for the silly questions, but i have no exoeriences with sccm.

Best Regards

Rudi

SMSTS.log

Did you check the space on Physical Drive ?

For Keyboard layout change ,checkout this : http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1660-customising-windows-7-deployments-part-1/

Instead of it-IT(Italy) ,you may need to use de-DE for german Language settings.

Thanks for that link.

Yes, i checked the local space, there are 117 GB free on the c-drive.

Thanks for that link.

Yes, i checked the local space, there are 117 GB free on the c-drive.

Hi there,

the problem is while the wiping process the folders USMTBITS and _SMSTASKSEQUENCE will be deleted. So the loadstate.exe which ist located in the _SMSTASKSEQUENCE folder´doesn´t exist at this moment.

Is it possible to tell the SCCM which folders can be deleted and which not while the whiping process?

Best Regards

Rudi

Hi there,

the problem is while the wiping process the folders USMTBITS and _SMSTASKSEQUENCE will be deleted. So the loadstate.exe which ist located in the _SMSTASKSEQUENCE folder´doesn´t exist at this moment.

Is it possible to tell the SCCM which folders can be deleted and which not while the whiping process?

Best Regards

Rudi

Hi there,

no answer for this question? Where are all the experts?

Best Regards

Rudi

This Task Sequence is all well and good but what if I wanna use MDT 2010 Update 1 ? The TS are different than the ones in SCCM. We are eventually looking at moving to SCCM but at the moment our solution is to use MDT. I can get the ScanState to work when logged in as a domain user but it doesn't accept the arguments from the CustomSettings.ini. Have any suggestions? In the meantime, I will try to modify your TS for MDT and see if it works.

thanks,

Terry

Where are all the experts? I thought this would be a simple answer. I tried redoing the TS but I don't think I have to go that far. The Deployment Share gets mounted to the Z drive. I should be able to run a scanstate command based on that drive. I'll continue to test and if anyone has an answer or it works I'll post back.

Terry

so do you want to emulate this only using mdt 2010 update 1 ? if so it shouldnt be that hard to do as the steps are mostly workarounds anyway, have you tried to duplicate it and what problems are you seeing, post log files if necessary

Yes I would like to emulate this on MDT 2010 Update 1. I do not want to run this as a second Task Sequence and I would like to be prompts to be like during an Online scanstate. I've tried to setup this sequence but I'm left scratching my head. By default when you the C: drive is mounted as X: and the Deployment Share is mounted as drive Z: so I don't think there is a reason to copy the USMT files when they are accessed on the Z: drive. This is where the problems for come from.

Terry

I try do to the same things but refresh windows 7(Windows 7 to Windows 7 using Offline mode in Windows PE) but it's doesn't work and i don't have errors in log. The system cannot delete a file (c:\windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE° are not delete and after i have an error.Can you help me please. (Sorry for my English).

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Jo

Hi there,

i have imported the complete script again for the offline mode. But i have the same problems.

I think i have some errors in my script, because when the sccm copies the files on the client, it copies about 18 GB of data on the client. It seems that the whole content of the SMSPKG$ folder will be copied on the client.

The second thing is, that the USMT tool works in parts. That means, on the Win XP client, the whole profiles will be copied in the folder named "USMTOffline". The profiles are in stored in the path "USMT\File\C$\Dokumente und Einstellungen\", but the profiles are not restored on the new Win 7 client.

Are there any ideas what could be the problem on my machine?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Rudi

hi rudi, can you confirm if the advertisement properties of the your task sequence are set to run from dp or access content directly ?