anyweb

using Offline Mode in Windows PE using USMT 4 via a task sequence in SCCM 2007 SP2

One more thing I did not add to the last post is that adding steps for Bitlocker will help with the migration that we are working on. I have followed other posting for it but have not been able to get it to work with this type of upgrade/migration on a single partition.

Thank you again for everything you are doing,

pwoodall

How to advertise this TS? because it has graded out on "Make this TS available to boot media and PXE" while advertising

if its greyed out then add a boot image to the task sequence.

hi, i tried the method with a little modification. i have some problems. i am stucked!

1. i created an operation system image from win7 cd and apply this wim to the "apply operation system from captured image" step in the task squence,

problem: window 7 was installed and joined domain with the original xp's pc name, but the system partition became D instead of C, and the user profile was left in usmtoffline folder.

why it used D as the boot partition? can i use the original win7 wim file?

2. i created an operation system image by using the captured image created by TS with microsoft deployment tool pkg, so this image was not been syspreped

problem: the win7 was installed and the user profiles were copied but the system did not apply the xp pc name, and it did not join the domain, so it did not restore the user setting

i do not want to sysprep my pc, because we are using Dell oem cd, we do not have key for these cd. if we sysprep our systems, we will have to enter volumn license. is there a way to upgrade to 7 without using a syspreped image?

3. i also created an operation system image by using a captured cd on my golden win7 system, so this image was been syspreped, and this one worked

thank you Peter.

1. is there an easy work around to use the original dvd/iso? just curious

2. i am a newbie, do not know much about sccm, when you said "ComputerVariable to add the License Key" i don't really get it. sorry.

My problem is that I want to use a golden window 7 image that is not been syspreped, so when i migrade my xp to win7, i do not need to enter a key. I did create this nonsyspred image with the help of MDT. But when tried to use it in this scenario, it failed. It skipped the step of applying the window setting and network setting, so the pc name did not change, and it did not join domain.

I just wonder is there anyway to use a nonsyspreped image? if yes, how.

Firstly, I'd just like to say thank you for such a great post. I've learned a lot from this topic and your explanations are really clear and thorough.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but for some reason the c: drive under XP has become the d: drive under windows 7 and there is no longer any c: drive.

Is this by design or have I set one of my tasks up incorrectly?

Firstly, I'd just like to say thank you for such a great post. I've learned a lot from this topic and your explanations are really clear and thorough.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but for some reason the c: drive under XP has become the d: drive under windows 7 and there is no longer any c: drive.

Is this by design or have I set one of my tasks up incorrectly?

Did you read the above post ? Are you using the default install.wim from win 7 ISO Media ?

The default Vista/W7/2008 install.wim (on the DVD) will always install to the D: drive if not using an install package in SCCM (e.g. running setup.exe).

To aviod this

1. add a operating system install package in sccm with the default W7 DVD (do not add it as an operating system image)

2. create a build and capture task sequence, that will deploy the OS to the C:\ drive using setup.exe, and then capture it from the C:\ drive

3. add the captured image as a operating system image (not install package) to SCCM

4. create a deploy task sequence, that joins the image to the domain etc (but not run setup.exe)

Step by step with screen shots are avilable here http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/forum/63-deploy-7/.

Hi

Thanks so much for this post and your hard work - it has saved me so much time and hundreds of headaches :)

I have managed to get the whole process working smoothly and perfectly, with one minor leftover question - should the USMToffline directory be automatically deleted during the process? Because although all user files and settings are being restored correctly, the USMToffline folder and all of its contents remain on the C: I can't seem to delete the folder manually, as I get a message that a file in the directory is in use.

I suppose it doesn't hurt it being there, though it takes up space and if I need to reimage the machine again in the future the scanstate will probably fail due to the folder already existing...

Have I missed some "clean up" step in the TS?

Thanks again for an extremely useful post :)

Hi,

Thank you for this post. It is indeed very useful.

I tried both online & offline mode in USMT. I have not achieved 100% success.

I have to migrate a Windows 7 Pro system to Windows 7 Pro. USMT is considered as a good tool for this PC refresh scenario.

The only issue is that I have two partitions in the source computer, & the user profile (My Documents, Desktop, favourites, etc) is pointing to the D:\Users & not C:\Users, using the registry (My Company's requirement).

When the source computer is migrated to Windows 7 again, the image that is applied to it, too has two partitions with User profile pointing to D:\Users (only data in user profile like My Documents, Desktop, favourites, etc).

The issue I face is that although i am able to get my user profile back, in terms of (My Documents, Desktop, favourites, etc), I happen to loose many files in the root of C drive.

For example, if i had placed ten files & folders in the root, C drive, post migration i can see only one file restored.

The remaining files that didnt get restored are having extensions such as *.exe, *.pdf, *.zip.

Am i missing anything ?

Also can you pls assist me to migrate network printer settings as well from window 7 to Windows 7.

I would really appreciate some help on this subject.

Edited by arthur

I have drive D: and this drive are located all profiles, my default image was created to change the path. Is there on way to scan the drive D: in scanstate?

Thank in advance.

Alessandro

Thanks for this guide. Everything is working great up to the very end and I'm not sure what is going on with the restore. I am using the /MD:oldDomain:NewDomain switch to move the XP user into W7 and a new domain. The user profile is backed up in the c:\USMTOffline folder, and it is even restored with the correct NewDomainName\Username, but apparently the SIDs don't match because when I login for the first time in W7, a new profile is created. Where would I begin in troubleshooting this problem?

Thanks!

hi Jason,

to start off with, if you retain the same domain does everything migrate as expected for the user (leave out the /MD switch) ?

cheers

niall

Hey guys,

First this is a really awesome Document but I do have one question. Have you though about adapting it for MDT users in a non-SCCM environment? Thats the boat I'm in. I'm sure there's a way to make it work in MDT; I just don't know how, lol!

So okay, I decided to come up with my own offline USMT solution for MDT. Since I used this guide as as tarting point I figured I'd post what I came up with here. Its over on the MDT TechNet forums at the link below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdt/thread/37f9b92b-181d-4629-a424-a3a6b2b08e9c

I hope someone else finds this useful.

great work thanks for sharing and feel free to post that guide in the MDT part of windows-noob also

Hi i need to ask question about the migration is the Offline Task Sequence require MDT if yes i need to know how can restore files to user profile directly

thanks

Hi, it's a great guide and gave me a headstart as our company will be migrating from XP to W7. I have a question about the offline mode; is it possible to use this method but saving the user data to a network folder instead of saving locally? Also after W7 migration, I would like to use this method in replacement scenarios (W7 to W7 but different hardware), so I will need to backup to a network location.

If offline mode cannot do this, what is the method you would prefer, does USMT 4.0 support this in any other way? I do not want to use SMP.

Thanks.

The actions mentioned in this article can certainly NOT do that. Main reason is that there are also hardlinks used. These are local pointers to the data and the reason why this proces is so quick.

Back to your question. If you want to use a networkstorage why NOT using a SMP?

The actions mentioned in this article can certainly NOT do that. Main reason is that there are also hardlinks used. These are local pointers to the data and the reason why this proces is so quick.

Back to your question. If you want to use a networkstorage why NOT using a SMP?

Hi Peter, I had a look at the script and removed the hardlink options, modified it for saving files to a network location. Also added a network drive mapping at the start of the Task Sequence. I have also changed the OSDStateStorePath variable in TS to a shared folder. I will be trying to make this work.

SMP can be used but we have many branches and do not want to deploy an SCCM server for just one role to very small locations consisting of 4-5 clients. I could replace the PXE role with some scripts and if I can also skip SMP role with USMT, there will be no need for an SCCM server in small locations.

But if I fail these, of course I will need to go back to SMP and a site server to each location.