anyweb

using Offline Mode in Windows PE using USMT 4 via a task sequence in SCCM 2007 SP2

check your advertisement settings for that task sequence, is 'access content directly' selected or not ?

check your advertisement settings for that task sequence, is 'access content directly' selected or not ?

Yup, it's set to access the content directly...

ok and if you change the package source of that package to 'local drive on site server' what happens ?

I had the same issue where if your advertisement was set to "Access Content Directly from a Distribution point..." the XCOPY step would copy ALL Contents of my $SMSPKGx share to the USMTBITS folder (NOT what was desired). I DESIRE to keep the advertisment to this option (Access Content Directly from Distribution point) and I found this "bug" work around (Link: http://blogs.technet.com/osd/archive/2009/12/31/why-do-all-packages-get-cached-when-steps-to-cache-content-from-a-specific-package-run.aspx)

Bottom line to correct is to change your XCOPY to use: xcopy %_SMSTSabc12345%* %USMTDrive%\USMTbits /herciy (of course changing the abc12345 to the Package ID of your USMT package). This will ONLY copy the USMT package contents to your local USMTBITS folder and NOT the entire contents of your SMSPKG share.

nice, so we have a workaround for the workaround :)

cheers

niall

ok and if you change the package source of that package to 'local drive on site server' what happens ?

Still no go. I have tried all sorts of combinations on this thing now.. I even tried copying the USMT4 files into the SMSPKGD$ folder, cause it seems to bind to that, and then tried to change the xcopy command so that it gets the data from there (xcopy usmt4\x86\*.* %systemdrive%\USMTbits\X86\*.* /herciy). But that also didn't work. If I look at smsts.log all I see is this:

The directory name is invalid. (Error: 8007010B; Source: Windows)

so, it seems that either my package is wrong or I am pointing it wrong somehow. Is it possible you could let me know the exact steps you took in setting up that package, and which one points where, so I can double check that step?

thanks so much, I really appreciate all the help!

I only just read the workaround to the workaround post! Thanks, that makes A LOT of sense, and I will definitely try that quickly and let you know :)

Thanks!!

GENIUS! ABSOLUTELY GENIUS!!

This solved my problem too! I am now getting to the runscanstate task, where it fails with an error 27, saying that my " Settings store argument specified is invalid". I believe that once this is sorted I should be doing just fine, and the rest of the task sequence will go ahead as planned :)

If anyone has any advice to give here, that would be very much appreciated, otherwise I will google a little more to see if I can figure out how to fix this step...

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Hi Guys,

Just popping in to say a huge thank you to all involved! I finally managed to get our test system upgraded from windows XP to windows 7, taking across the entire profile, and restoring everything on the new OS as well. I now need to work on getting the applications re-installed, etc.

thank you once again, it's really appreciated, keep up the good work guys!

Johan

I am sure that,This TS doesnt do any changes with the Keyboard settings.But when I do the TS deploy onto the XP machines,It gets UK English Keybaord settings instead US English settings .If i create TS for a Bare metal systems,It takes only US English Key Board settings.should i need to create any xml files for the keybaord settings?

Nice work!

I`ve imported the task sequence and set up the cmd-file as a package and assigned the right packages and a Win7 OS image.

However, when I run the task sequence on a computer running Windows XP it fails on "do x86 scanstate" with the error 0x00000001.

I can see that the C:\USMTOffline and C:\USMTbits are created and that the cmd-file and the USMT-files are there.

Any ideas?

post your smsts.log file here, usually 0x00000001 means file not found or similar...

post your smsts.log file here, usually 0x00000001 means file not found or similar...

I`m sorry, I did a mistake and chose the "USMT - both" package where I should have chosen the "USMT - x86 only".

Fixed that and now it works as expected. Thanks for your quick reply!

The scenario where I`m planning to use this:

New domain with a new installation of SCCM 2007 R2 with SP2 and MDT 2010-integration

Old domain with Windows XP client computers

Users migrated from old domain to new domain using Active Directory Migration Tool (with SID History and passwords).

What we want to accomplish is to migrate the client computers to Windows 7 and join them directly to the new domain.

I guess that local profiles can be retained by using the /md:OldDomain:NewDomain switch on the loadstate.exe.

Anyone tried this?

Users migrated from old domain to new domain using Active Directory Migration Tool (with SID History and passwords).

What we want to accomplish is to migrate the client computers to Windows 7 and join them directly to the new domain.

I guess that local profiles can be retained by using the /md:OldDomain:NewDomain switch on the loadstate.exe.

Anyone tried this?

hopefully you'll post how you get on with it after you've got it working :)

i think the /mu switch is one to look at though

hopefully you'll post how you get on with it after you've got it working :)

i think the /mu switch is one to look at though

Will do :)

First I need to get the XP to Win7-migration work newdomain->newdomain before I test olddomain->newdomain.

As I mentioned the scanstate now runs successfully and Win7 installs successfully.

At the first boot after completion it complains about wrong password when automatically logging on as administrator. I type the password manually and it logs on but no restore sequence kicks off. I can see the USMT-folder in C:\USMTOffline, so the data are present. It`s supposed to auto-logon the local administrator-account, perform the Restore (loadstate) and then log off?

Will do smile.gif

First I need to get the XP to Win7-migration work newdomain->newdomain before I test olddomain->newdomain.

As I mentioned the scanstate now runs successfully and Win7 installs successfully.

At the first boot after completion it complains about wrong password when automatically logging on as administrator. I type the password manually and it logs on but no restore sequence kicks off. I can see the USMT-folder in C:\USMTOffline, so the data are present. It`s supposed to auto-logon the local administrator-account, perform the Restore (loadstate) and then log off?

Did you Join your computer to Domain ? If the computer Join to the Domain and if you try to log in,data will be restored back.

Did you Join your computer to Domain ? If the computer Join to the Domain and if you try to log in,data will be restored back.

Yes, the computer are joined to the domain. However, the SCCM-client are installed, but not configured properly. I`ll resolve that problem first to see if the restore process also are resolved afterwards.

Update: The SCCM-client issue are now resolved. I tried a new offline migration from XP to Win 7, but still the same thing happens. No data restored. When I access the C:\USMTOffline folder I get an "You need permissions on this folder to continue" message. When I press Continue I can see the contents, but I guess I`m then taking ownership. Could permissions be the issue regarding the USMT restore process?

Update #2:

FYI I created a thread regarding the issue here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/configmgrosd/thread/d4fdfb19-1c24-417b-8b33-0d64af72dda4

Thanks for all of the work you do. I could not get your task sequence to work. It "bombs" at the PXE boot. I discovered that I didn't have a boot image associated with it and I fixed that but it still doesn't work. Also, in the task sequence under the Install Operating System, Restart in Windows PE is greyed out. What does that mean?

Thanks!

it works perfectly Niall! Thank you! ;)

just one thing, i used the regular USMT4 package for all steps, in XCOPY USMT step i pointed to the X86 folder of the package.

from dndoorlag's example:

xcopy %_SMSTSaaa00000%\x86\* %systemdrive%\USMTbits /herciy

I had the same issue where if your advertisement was set to "Access Content Directly from a Distribution point..." the XCOPY step would copy ALL Contents of my $SMSPKGx share to the USMTBITS folder (NOT what was desired). I DESIRE to keep the advertisment to this option (Access Content Directly from Distribution point) and I found this "bug" work around (Link: http://blogs.technet.com/osd/archive/2009/12/31/why-do-all-packages-get-cached-when-steps-to-cache-content-from-a-specific-package-run.aspx)

Bottom line to correct is to change your XCOPY to use: xcopy %_SMSTSabc12345%* %USMTDrive%\USMTbits /herciy (of course changing the abc12345 to the Package ID of your USMT package). This will ONLY copy the USMT package contents to your local USMTBITS folder and NOT the entire contents of your SMSPKG share.

I changed my XCOPY in my task sequence like you suggested and I am getting error code (0x00000001) after running. Does it matter if all my SMSPKG is on the ‘D’ drive instead of ‘C’ drive?post-5458-12767877251394_thumb.png

We set this up and it works wonderfully. Have only one issue to ask about. I am using the additional xml files for background wallpaper and printers. Wallpaper works fine. Printers have a funny issue. They are there in the persons profile (no win7 drivers of course but that is matter of right click, however they cannot be set to be the default printer. An error comes up instead. We basically have to delete them and recreate them. Anyone else see this?

I changed my XCOPY in my task sequence like you suggested and I am getting error code (0x00000001) after running. Does it matter if all my SMSPKG is on the ‘D’ drive instead of ‘C’ drive?post-5458-12767877251394_thumb.png

hallo I have also same problem what is correct command to copy only needed package ??

actually its running fine

xcopy %_SMSTSaaa00000%* %systemdrive%\USMTbits /herciy 

this was corect for me

hi Eswar,

if you press f8 before it gets this far can you browse to c:\ and do you see the folders we need to create like c:\usmtoffline etc ? remember when testing if you fail for whatever reason that you'll have to delete those two usmt folders as i havn't built in any checking into the TS to see if they are there already (in the create folder part...)

Hey all:

These directions are great, its nice to see someone documenting this process :) I am very new to USMT and SCCM. I did have a question and forgive my ignorance. I noticed in the screenshot for xcopy runscanstate.bat that the package being used is Microsoft runscanstate 1.0 english. I have a USMT 4.0 package with my configuration files however I wasn't sure how to create the runscanstate package. Is this off of the AIK toolkit USMT package?