anyweb

using Offline Mode in Windows PE using USMT 4 via a task sequence in SCCM 2007 SP2

This guide is excellent. My question is do the default .xml files need to modified (Miguser.xml, MigDocs.xml, MigApp.xml) and if so what are the changes for offline USMT to work?

By default,Miguser.xml, MigDocs.xml, MigApp.xml will have all settings which are required to migrate. Take a look at here what these migration xml files contains http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766203(WS.10).aspx

Are you looking for some specific settings or applications to be migrated? IF so,you might need to create or edit the existing xml file based on the requirement,

Does the offline process copy Domain Profiles?

absolutely ! it's awesome, try it :)

This post/process rocks! I love the offline migration! I have several computers that the SCCM client was jacked up on, they would not take the advertisement so I PXE booted them and whalah! I added the printers.xml file to my package and it migrated mapped network drives, networked printers….man I am one happy camper!!!!!

Once question, should the c:\USMToffline directory still exist after a successful migration? Or should it be deleted at the end? The reason I ask is mine is still present but I don’t know if I was doing something wrong?

Thanks for this post, it was a lifesaver! Now if anyone can find an actual way for 802.1x to work with OSD/PXE I will be sending them my first born! :P

you'll need to script it so that is deleted, it's manually created, so likewise has to be manually deleted, just nevergot round to add it to my posts :/

Hi,

How to create a RunScanstate package? i have already downloaded the batchfile. Help pls.

Its line creation of normal package.

1.Copy the batch file into a folder(name is as you like)

2.Go to SCCM console,packages node,click on New package and select souce as above package (either could be local Network or Network share).

3.make it avilable on DP.

Its line creation of normal package.

1.Copy the batch file into a folder(name is as you like)

2.Go to SCCM console,packages node,click on New package and select souce as above package (either could be local Network or Network share).

3.make it avilable on DP.

Thanks for your quick reply

Why would you want to save it on a servershare??

The idea of hardlinks is that you store the links to the file locally, then wipe the drive (which save the hard-links) and then reinstall.

First I must say that this thread was a godsend.

I applied all the steps and everything is now working perfectly.

I'm also interested in finding a way to store the data to a network share, I'll tell you why. In our environment we have some users that have huge profiles and limited local disk space for storing the data.

It would be great if there was a way to either map a drive then store the scanstate using some sort of script that would create a folder using there existing computer name and store the data there. Is that even possible with hard links? Is there a workaround for those machines with limited local storage aside from telling users to move or delete their data.

Thanks

I'm also interested in finding a way to store the data to a network share, I'll tell you why. In our environment we have some users that have huge profiles and limited local disk space for storing the data.

It would be great if there was a way to either map a drive then store the scanstate using some sort of script that would create a folder using there existing computer name and store the data there. Is that even possible with hard links? Is there a workaround for those machines with limited local storage aside from telling users to move or delete their data.

The idea of using hardlinks is that you only store links to the files, so there is no file copying. AND the best part is that there is only arround 200Mb free disk space needed. If that is still to much then you shouldn't be looking at a hardlink migration, but just a a 'standard' migration with a State Migration Point.

Question...If we are going from 32bix XP to 64bit 7 do we still use the x86 version of usmt, and if not Should the Disable 64bit file system redirection be unchecked? I just get to the Do x86 scanstate and then it fails and the task sequence is exactly like you have it in the example...thanks in advance for your help.

I just tried it again and looked at the scanstate log and this is what I have...I did uncheck the boxes to disable 64bit file system redirection too:

2010-12-06 12:13:50, Info [0x000000] USMT Started at 2010/12/06:12:13:50.977

2010-12-06 12:13:50, Info [0x000000] Command line: \USMTbits\x86\scanstate.exe /c /o /hardlink /efs:hardlink /nocompress /offlinewindir:c:\windows /v:5 /l:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstate.log /progress:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstateprogress.log /i:\USMTbits\x86\miguser.xml /i:\USMTbits\x86\migapp.xml

2010-12-06 12:13:50, Status [0x000000] Activity: 'MIGACTIVITY_COMMAND_LINE_PROCESSING'

2010-12-06 12:13:50, Info [0x000000] Failed.[gle=0x00000091]

2010-12-06 12:13:50, Info [0x000000] An error occurred processing the command line.

\USMTbits\x86\scanstate.exe ##ERROR## --> /c /o /hardlink /efs:hardlink /nocompress /offlinewindir:c:\windows /v:5 /l:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstate.log /progress:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstateprogress.log /i:\USMTbits\x86\miguser.xml /i:\USMTbits\x86\migapp.xml

Settings store argument specified is invalid[gle=0x00000091]2010-12-06 12:13:50, Info [0x000000] USMT Completed at 2010/12/06:12:13:50.977[gle=0x00000091]

2010-12-06 12:13:50, Info [0x000000] Entering MigShutdown method

2010-12-06 12:13:50, Info [0x000000] Leaving MigShutdown method

/c /o /hardlink /efs:hardlink /nocompress /offlinewindir:c:\windows /v:5 /l:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstate.log /progress:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstateprogress.log /i:\USMTbits\x86\miguser.xml /i:\USMTbits\x86\migapp.xml

Take a good look at this line and you will find the problem (hint: location of the logfiles).

Take a good look at this line and you will find the problem (hint: location of the logfiles).

Oh, so is it just supposed to be in the root of C? c:\SMSTSLog ? I do have one showing up there now and then the others in the windows/temp folder

Actually, this one isn't showing up in temp:

\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstateprogress.log

Is that the problem? I just copied the batch file from the begining of this post

Hey Niall,

Thanks for the very nice webcast & manual.

However........I'm facing a little problem.

The Run scanstate task fails with an error: 11135

Run command line

Working dir 'C:\USMTbits'

Executing command line: Run command line. The operating system reported error 27: The drive cannot find the sector requested.

The task is as you described:

cmd /c runscanstate-offlinewindir.bat %OSDStateStorePath% %systemdrive%

Start in: %systemdrive%\USMTbits\

Package: Microsoft RunScanState 1.0 English

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Sollution: There was a missing "/" in my batchfile.......back to testing! ;-)

Noticed it when I viewed the local scanstate.log

Edited by Matthijs

I meant that the driveletter is missing...

Thanks, well I changed the batch to include the c:\ but it still fails...here is the edited batch, not sure if it needs a space

@set USMT_WORKING_DIR=%~2%\USMTbits\x86

"%~2\USMTbits\x86\scanstate.exe" "%~1" /c /o /hardlink /efs:hardlink /nocompress /offlinewindir:c:\windows /v:5 /lc:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstate.log /progressc:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstateprogress.log /i:%~2\USMTbits\x86\miguser.xml /i:%~2\USMTbits\x86\migapp.xml

I also tried it this way:

@set USMT_WORKING_DIR=%~2%\USMTbits\x86

"%~2\USMTbits\x86\scanstate.exe" "%~1" /c /o /hardlink /efs:hardlink /nocompress /offlinewindir: c:\windows /v:5 /l c:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstate.log /progress c:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstateprogress.log /i:%~2\USMTbits\x86\miguser.xml /i:%~2\USMTbits\x86\migapp.xml

Am I still missing something...I'm not sure what this, /i:%~2\, refers to..should that be C:\USMTbits... also?

Just checked on the computer I'm trying to migrate and the usmtbits and usmtoffline folders are there, but it didn't create the c:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstate.log

Can anyone paste the correct batch file using the c drive as the drive letter? I would greatly appreciate it :)

in between your tests make sure to delete the usmtbits and usmtoffline folders, i didn't build in any error detection for seeing if they existed in the sample task sequences so it will generate an error the second (and subsequent) time you run the ts. easy to test, just manually delete the dirs before running the task sequence

Awesome doc - and am using at client with success -

ONE question though:

Seems the process is downloading every package into the x86 package - and this takes forever -

Is this an "advertisement" setting -

post-7551-12923442255971_thumb.jpgpost-7551-12923442043902_thumb.jpg

I have been testing your Task Sequence and most of it is working. The part that fails is the "Restore User Files and Settings". It does join the domain before that task is run. I also have the advertisment set to "Download". Do I need to add any "Set" task before I run the "Restore" task? The log shows:

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (Restore User Files and Settings) in the group (Restore User Files and Settings) with the error code 2147942402

Action output: \sms\client\osdeployment\osdusmt\userstateaction.cpp,130)

VerifyUSMTBinaryVersionAndUpdateUSMTPath(sUsmtBinary, m_eUSMTVersion), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\osdusmt\userstateaction.cpp,558)

SetUSMTBinary(), HRESULT=80070002(e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\osdusmt\userstateaction.cpp,1011)

usmAction.Init(::GetCommandLineW()), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\osdeployment\osdusmt\main.cpp,235)

Invoking ReleaseSource on USMTPackagePath C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CHG000F5

Entering ReleaseSource() for C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CHG000F5

reference count 1 for the source C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CHG000F5 before releasing

Delete source directory C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CHG000F5

VerifyUSMTBinaryVersionAndUpdateUSMTPath failed (0x80070002).

UserStateMigrationAction::GetUSMTBinary failed (0x80070002).

Failed to initlialize, (0x80070002)

Released the resolved source C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\CHG000F5

OSDMigrateUserState finished: 0x80070002. The operating system reported error 2147942402: The system cannot find the file specified

I am sure it is something simple that I missed, I have read every word on this post at least 5 times to find my mistake with no luck.

I have also looked at Peters examples, but was unable to follow all the steps. I like the added steps to clean up the drive. Screen shots for each task would fill in the missing information. It would also be great if he added his xml for download.

Thank you for all the help you are providing to all of us!

pwoodall