anyweb

using Offline Mode in Windows PE using USMT 4 via a task sequence in SCCM 2007 SP2

Hello could you gave me the way to create the package for USMT 4 X86 package *special usmt 4 package containing only the x86 folder)

* USMT 4 (both) package containing the native x86 and x64 folders for USMT 4...

* runscanstate.bat package

on your guide???

Hi - I have managed to get this working in a Test environment but when I have copied it over to a live system I am getting the error below. Does anyone have any advice on what might be causing this?

Thanks

The task sequence execution engine failed executing the action (do X86 scanstate) in the group (Run) with the error code 29

Action output: =======================[ smsswd.exe ] =======================

PackageID = 'LON00060'

BaseVar = '', ContinueOnError=''

SwdAction = '0001'

No http based locations are available. SMB based locations will be attempted now.

Successfully connected to "\\PackageServerName\SMSPKGD$\LON00060"

Resolved source to 'C:\_SMSTaskSequence\Packages\LON00060'

Working dir 'c:\USMTbits\'

Executing command line: Run command line

c:\USMTbits>"c:\USMTbits\x86\scanstate.exe" "c:\USMToffline" /c /o /hardlink /efs:hardlink /nocompress /offlinewindir:c:\windows /v:5 /l:c:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstate.log /progress:c:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstateprogress.log /i:c:\USMTbits\x86\miguser.xml /i:c:\USMTbits\x86\migapp.xml

Log messages are being sent to 'c:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstate.log'

Starting the migration process

Failed.

Unable to automatically map the drive letters to match the online drive letter layout;

Use /offline to provide a mapping table

See the log file for more information.. The operating system reported error 29: The system cannot write to the specified device.

To add to this - when I resolve this issue I would also like to enable bitlocked in WinPE using the instructions here: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3875-customising-windows-7-deployments-part-5/

Do you know if this possible as to enable bitlocker the drive needs to be formated but that would then wipe the USMT folders?

Thanks again

try doing it in Windows PE instead, it's designed for Windows PE not Windows.

cheers

niall

try doing it in Windows PE instead, it's designed for Windows PE not Windows.

cheers

niall

Anyweb

Hope this will be an easy one for you. I have your steps all the way to: do x86 scanstate. Am only running the loadstate and scanstate process. No OSD on the Task Sequence

Here is what I can see

1. USMTbits folder is created with the vb script
  2. USMToffline folder is created with sub-foders

But when i navigate to C:\\USMTOffline\USMT\File\c$\users\user1. The profile is blank and no data has been moved.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

well does your loadstate.log file reveal any issues ?

Anyweb

No loadstate.log that I can find on the system. I have checked on the following location

C:\Windows\System32\CCM\Logs and

C:\SMSTSLog.

I also rerun the TS and verified the loadstate log does not get created on both locations.

Am I looking on the wrong place.

Thanks

The only difference am noticing is that the TS I imported from you doesn't have the hardlink load parameters. I don't think this makes a big difference.

Thanks

The only difference am noticing is that the TS I imported from you doesn't have the hardlink load parameters. I don't think this makes a big difference.

Thanks

Anyweb

I run the 2nd TS and seems to work.

Thanks

Hi all,

i have error like this, may be someone can help me?

post-14775-0-92457500-1329639295_thumb.jpg

I saw this error task sequence has failed with error code 0x00000001when I rerun the TS before deleting the 3 folders on the C: drive. Delete the

1. SMSLogs
  2. USMToffline
  3. USMTbits

Rerun your TS and you should be good to go. Check you smsts.log and you'll notice the error "failed to create USMToffline folder.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I am facing an issue liike when I completed the deployment and again I am trying to deploy anothere TS on the same BOX, then it get stucked on looking for DHCP. everytime I need to change the BOX.

Please help me I don't want to change the BOX.

Thanks in advance

so you are trying to say that you want to do a reinstall is that correct ? by BOX do you mean Computer ?

Hello everyone,

I am facing an issue liike when I completed the deployment and again I am trying to deploy anothere TS on the same BOX, then it get stucked on looking for DHCP. everytime I need to change the BOX.

Please help me I don't want to change the BOX.

Thanks in advance

rana.rai

I saw this one of our labs. Am assuming net boot is set as the 1st priorty. If so see the 2 fixes below.

1. boot up to normal windows and do ipconfig /release reboot you PC. If you it goes through then go to step 2 to fix this the problem for good.
  2. if step one succeeded. what I can say from what we saw on our lab is that you dont have enough IPs. To fox this make sure the netwoek is set to keep the same IP when it PXE boots. If this is not possoble, make sure your PC is in netowk space with enough IP.

Hope this helps.

so you are trying to say that you want to do a reinstall is that correct ? by BOX do you mean Computer ?

Hi Anyweb...

Thanks for your reply.

Yes... i mean BOX is a Computer. And I want to do a reinstall.

Hello,

Instead of saving the Userstate on C drive like you have explained in My company We need to save the userstate on a USB Flash drive that will be physically connected to the computer where we will be running the task sequence.

How can I do that?

Will I need to connect 2 USB flash drives 1 containing the Full Offline Deployment Files (Task Sequence + OS + Package)

and the second one for storing Userstate data?

Or can I use 1 Single 64 GB USB Stick which will contain the Full Offline Deployment Files (Task Sequence + OS + Package) as well as can store the User State?

Ok folks Im going nuts! I cant seem to get the xcopy working! I have tried the following with no luck:

xcopy *%systemdrive%\USMTbits /herciy

xcopy %_SMSTSabc12345%* %USMTDrive%\USMTbits /herciy (changing abc12345 to my package number)

xcopy %_SMSTSP0200201%\x86\* %systemdrive%\USMTbits /herciy

xcopy * %systemdrive%|USMTbits\X86 /herciy

Any ideas folks?

well when you try xcopy what happens ? what are you seeing happening, post logs if necessary

Hi all, Im having some issues with USMT4.0 and SCCM 2007. I have removed USMT 3 and then installed USMT4 however every time I set up a task sequence utilizing USMT it still shows the USMT3. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

in the configmgr console select your task sequence and click on the references tab, do you see your USMT 4 package as well as the USMT 3 package ? you probably have both packages referenced in the task sequence and will have to go through any step which captures state (or restores it) to fix the package

i am one quick question migration (windows xp to win7) can i have a working hardlink

hi Vishnu,

that is not a question,

what exactly are you trying to do ? are you trying Offline mode in WinPE ? if not then create a new topic explaining what you've tried and what your problem is..

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me out. I have created the task sequence from building upon XP to W7 Demo - X86 Offline Mode in WinPE-USMT 4 and I am running it it from a usb drive.

Everything is working fine and the pc is been added to the domain except the users setting are not been restored. The USMT offline folder has been created and is on the C drive.

I have attached the task sequence I am using. Would I need to create a batch file to restore the users profiles rather than use USMT 4 during the restore?

Any help would be much appreciated as I have 5000 pc's and laptops to build over the next year.

XP to W7 Demo - X86 Offline Mode itest.xml

• I am still getting the same errors on my sequence when it tries to run scanstate in my lab sequence. I have imported the Demo Task sequence and set everything up excalty as in the demo ( i have done this several times.) It's gotta be something small I am missing but every time I get the Invalid Store Argument error. I have not edited any of the XML files. Just trying to run the Proof of concept portion of the script.

2012-05-10 12:40:41, Info [0x000000] USMT Started at 2012/05/10:12:40:41.947

2012-05-10 12:40:41, Info [0x000000] Command line: \USMTbits\x86\scanstate.exe /c /o /hardlink /efs:hardlink /nocompress /offlinewindir:c:\windows /v:5 /l:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstate.log /progress:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstateprogress.log /i:\USMTbits\x86\miguser.xml /i:\USMTbits\x86\migapp.xml

2012-05-10 12:40:41, Status [0x000000] Activity: 'MIGACTIVITY_COMMAND_LINE_PROCESSING'

2012-05-10 12:40:41, Info [0x000000] Failed.[gle=0x00000091]

2012-05-10 12:40:41, Info [0x000000] USMT Status 1033 (STORE_ARGUMENT_ERROR): An error occurred processing the command line.

\USMTbits\x86\scanstate.exe ##ERROR## --> /c /o /hardlink /efs:hardlink /nocompress /offlinewindir:c:\windows /v:5 /l:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstate.log /progress:\windows\TEMP\SMSTSLog\scanstateprogress.log /i:\USMTbits\x86\miguser.xml /i:\USMTbits\x86\migapp.xml

Settings store argument specified is invalid[gle=0x00000091]

2012-05-10 12:40:41, Info [0x000000] USMT Completed at 2012/05/10:12:40:41.962[gle=0x00000091]

2012-05-10 12:40:41, Info [0x000000] Entering MigShutdown method

2012-05-10 12:40:41, Info [0x000000] Leaving MigShutdown method